Hybrid View

I need help form some DC comic Superman Fans (related to Smallville)

First off I must say that I'm not a bid time Superman fan, nor have I ever really read the comics. But I have just started to get into Smallville, and I must say I really like this show. I was just curious about Superman and Lex Luthor's history in the DC comics. Did they have any prior history? And what became of Superman when he died? He did die right? How/by who? And how did the Superman story keep going? Any help would be cool, but please try to refrain from the Smallville spoilers, as I'm only about half way through the first season. Thanks!

=MATT=

I might be able to give you some info as I collect Superman comics. First of all, Smallville is not Superman (in the comic book sense). Besides the fact that Clark comes from Krypton, is adopted by the Kents, and there are characters with the same name as people in the comic, Smallville is completely different. Think of it as an alternate universe Superman. Outside of seeing 2 episodes I don't watch Smallville so no worries about me posting any spoilers here.

Superman and Lex met when Superman moved to Metropolis. Lex was running the company Lex Corp when superman showed up on the scene. He doesn't care for Superman for 2 reasons -- 1) Lex is an underhanded businessman and Superman is good and pure, and etc. so Superman tries to stop Lex at every turn and 2) Lex is a xenophobe and dislikes aliens (though this seems to waiver every so often). So the whole thing is basically Lex wants power and will do anything to get it while Superman protects the "good" and stops Lex from controlling the world. Though in the last 2 years, Lex has been elected the Pres. of the US with Pete Ross as the VP (who is married to Lana Lang).

Superman's death -- Superman was killed by a creature called Doomsday that was shackled and buried under the earth. It turns out that Doomsday was a creature created on Krypton eons ago and cannot die. Each time he is defeated he comes back from the dead with a defense for whatever killed him last time. Anyway, back in the early 90's, he broke free of his underground containment and ravaged a path across North America taking out many other superheroes as well. In the end Superman and him had a drag down brawl where both perished.

Superman's body was then taken by Star Labs for an autopsy but none of earth surgical tools could penetrate his skin. During this time in the lab, Superman's body was exposed to light from a multitude of wavelengths (I guess from all the different experiments Star Labs decided to try). Since Superman's body works as a giant solar battery, it began recharging. His body was then "stolen" by his robot assistant Kelex that ran things in the Fortress of Solitude in the Antarctic. The body was placed within his Supes old birthing matrix and regenerated. (There was also a story where Pa Kent had a heart attack and he met with his son ascending into heaven and they decided that they both needed to return to earth, blah, blah, but that's a whole other story).

This whole regeneration thing was a one-time shot. It can't be done again due to the physical strain on Superman's body and I'm pretty sure he destroyed the birthing matrix when it happened.

Anyway, that's it in a very small nutshell. If you start to read the comics, be prepared that they are very different from the show. Much like the now defunct Birds of Prey is from the actual comic.
    "Smeeeeee....Heeeeeee...." -- Kryten 4000

In some of the '70s Superboy comics, didn't Lex have more connection to Clark in Smallville? Like Lex was a brilliant teenage scientist who was exposed to Kryptonite during a sensitive experiment which then exploded making him bald and angry?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Yes, but that was Superboy, not Superman. The Superboy comic can be best described as another alternate dimension comic (DC's real term for this particular incarnation of Superman as a boy was actually a pocket dimension but I don't want to bore people with the details. It is explained in the Legion of Super Heroes comics). DC had some pretty bad continuity issues before the Crisis on Infinite Earths mini-series.
    "Smeeeeee....Heeeeeee...." -- Kryten 4000

DC had some pretty bad continuity issues before the Crisis on Infinite Earths mini-series.
    They still have a lot of problems.

JIm

I like Smallville better - it's so much more realistic!
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.