Thumbs down MOTU: Trap Jaw Variant

Arggh, Mattel continues to annoy me. Now there is a variant on Trap Jaw. The second version is painted more like the Classic Trap Jaw. His belt, kneepads, and the dots on his wristband/robotic arm are light green now instead of dark green.

This could be the rare variant paint job figure for this case. Or just a running change, because the person that found the case over at He-Man.org, reported that there was 3 Skeletor: Spin Blade, 1 Tri-Klops, 1 Trap Jaw (Dark Green) and 1 Trap Jaw (Light Green) in the case.

The Dark Green version, actually looks better though. Since the skull is painted on the belt. Plus the stitches on his chest are silver on the D.G. one, and just blue on the L.G. one. Still the variants are getting out of hand.

This isn't just a case of a missed paint application, like the Cheesy so-called variant Teela. For those of you that don't know, the first shipments of Hero Wave 3, featured Teela's ponytail band unpainted. Later figures have it painted the correct gold color. Of course this could turn out to be Mattel's idea of a rare varient.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trap jaw varient.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	4881  
    Last edited by Beast; 01-06-2003 at 09:58 AM.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Gad, that new version is HIDEOUS!! I think I'll not be collecting the MOTU variants for the most part. Except maybe for gold Deluxe He-Man, since it's a zillion times better than the silver. Any word yet on how rare the variant Mekaneck will be?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Yeah, Mattel said that there will be 1,000 Mekaneck figures produced with the clear goggles. Frankly the first one should have been made like mirrored sunglasses. And then the varient done in the green plastic. Since in the cartoon it's only been green in that one episode, where Man-At-Arms gives him a night vision adaptor.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

If you look at Trap Jaw's cardback, it's plain to see that Mattel's prototype matches this new light-green variation. I thought it was weird that the TJ figure inside actually looked better than its prototype picture on the cardback, but now I think this is like the Skeletor's face thing where the first run looks cool with weathered paint and the later runs look more like the cartoons with simpler paint applications. Perhaps this is to get the collectors happy with the early run and then satisfy the kiddie market once the collectors have had their fill.

Looks like the silver color of TJ's accessories is a little less dirtied as well, again now copying the prototype more closely.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Aww hell....Its hard enough to find some of these figures now we have some that are next to impossiable to find...I'll pass...
    It is never to late to be what you might have been. (George Eliot)

Courage is as often the outcome of despair as hope; in the one case we have nothing to lose, in the other, all to gain (Diane De Poiters)