Hybrid View

Exclamation Sony to topple handheld monopoly?

This just in from a little birdy in the development side of the video game industry. Rumor has it that Sony is quietly readying something to compete on the portable level with the GBA. If true, it means Nintendo would finally have some serious competition in an industry it has long held, for the most part, without any serious threat.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

I bet a Sony handheld would follow suit behind the Sega Game Gear and Atari Lynx (the latter of which I actually have). Since Sony only puts out disc-based games, I can't imagine them jumping into the cart-based world of handhelds. On the other hand, a disc-based handheld wouldn't be out of the realm of impossibility these days, especially if they made it compatible with PS1 games. Also, the control issues would prove tough because it's so tough to program fun games for a 4-button controller these days.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Sony PS Walkman

I think it would be cool for sony to make a handheld PSone. Just take the Sony Walkman CD player and slap a screen on the cover, as well as som controls. You could use the walkman to play Music CD's, or play Playstation games. Developers could easily develop new games for the handheld, as they are basically PSone games.

=MATT=