Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

What should a SW fan buy? X-box, PS2 or Nintendo

I have been considering buying a gaming system and need advice.
    #1 what system offers the most selection ofStar Wars games?
    2. what system is the most economical? IE: games are cheaper, comes with two controllers or a bundle pack, etc
    3. Does playstation II play PS1 games?
    4. How reliable are the game systems?
    Any help would be appreciated.

MAce
    YODA: "The FORCE is strong with you Master Windex.
    "Windows so clean, never have I seen!"
    Remember Herbie the Love Bug? Visit him online at www.HERBIEMANIA.com

I am biased to the PS2, but I won't knock the X-Box because I've never tried it.

The PS2 plays PS1 games it also plays DVDs.
    I have not had any problems, nor have heard of any problems with the PS2. I do not own an X-Box, but I heard there can be an overheating problem.

Here are the current and upcoming Star Wars games for XBox:
    Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
    Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
    Star Wars Jedi Starfighter
    Star Wars Obi-Wan
    Star Wars Starfighter Special Edition

Here are the current and upcoming games for PS2:
    Star Wars Bounty Hunter
    Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
    Star Wars Racer Revenge
    Star Wars Jedi Starfighter
    Star Wars: The Clone Wars
    Star Wars Starfighter
    ...and since you can play PS1 games on PS2:
    Star Wars: Dark Forces
    Star Wars Demolition
    Star Wars: Episode I Jedi Power Battles
    Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
    Star Wars: Masters of Teräs Käsi
    Star Wars: Rebel Assault II - The Hidden Empire

Both systems are $200. Check the Sunday Ads to see what you get with each.

It seems the price of PS2 games drops faster. They have a "Greatest Hits" games that sell for $20: Gran Turismo 3 is one of my favorite. There are many others.
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".

1. PS2: Starfighter, Jedi Starfighter, Bounty Hunter, The Clone Wars, Racer Revenge and Galaxies.

GC: Rogue Leader, Bounty Hunter, Jedi Outcast, The Clone Wars

Xbox: Galaxies: An Empire Divided, Jedi Outcast, Knights of the Old Republic, Star Wars Jedi Starfighter, Obi-Wan, Starfighter Special Edition

They're pretty even when it comes to selection. It'll come down to what type of games you like I suppose.

2. PS2: $200. Comes with one controller and no games. (right? I'm not really sure.)

GC: Is $150 right now. It comes with one controller and no games. I feel that it is overpriced as it is. It should be going down to $100 in a few months or at least start bundling games with it. Sweet games are finally coming out for it now.

Xbox: $200. It comes with one controller and 2 games.

3. Yes.

4. All three are very reliable. I've heard reports of the GC freezing on certain games if it get's too dirty.

Some other things to think about:

PS2 and GC require the purchase of memory cards to save games. Xbox, however has a built in hard drive. A hard drive can be purchased for the PS2 though.

PS2 has by far the largest amount of games to choose from.

Although the GC has the lowest amount of games to choose from it has quite a few titles that scored over 90%.

You can rip music onto the Xbox.

If you feel the Xbox controller is to large, many Xbox's come with the smaller version of their controller which is the same size as the PS2 controller.

Both the PS2 and Xbox play dvds when you buy a special remote for them. ($20 - $30)

All three have/will have online capabilities. XBox just went online. The GC will not have as large of a MP game selection.

Computer, Playstation 2 and Game Cube.

Who cares about Obi-Wan and Star Fighter "Special Edition." With PS2 and GC you can get pretty much any console game out there because of them usually crossing them over like Jedi Starfighter was PS2/X-Box, and Bounty Hunter and Clone Wars are PS2/GC. Also you can watch the movies on DVD on the PS2 if you don't already have a DVD player.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Rhett, PS2 plays DVDs right out of the box w/out remote (it uses the controller), Xbox actually requires you to buy the remote before it'll play DVDs from what I understand.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Oops, my bad. Yes, the Dual Shock 2 controller can be used for playing dvds.

I must say, I own boththe Xbox and PS2, and find myself playing the Xbox much more. Most of the "Better" games come out for both systems, and the Xbox is normally better (exception Need for Speed). As for Star Wars games, all I can say is "Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic." Xbox and Xbox live rule! I'm a big online gamer, but if you don't have Broadband or don't play online, it's not a factor.

As for value- Xbox is a little better than PS2. True, you have to buy a DVD playback kit to play DVD's, but you have a built in Hard Drive and Network. If you have PS2 you have to buy the Memory Cards and Network adapter seperate. And currently a PS2 Memory card is about the same price as the Xbox DVD playback kit, and the PS2 network adapter is about the same as the Xbox Live sign up kit (which comes with a headset that makes online awesome). So the only real advantages is 10 (or is it 20) gig hard drive vs. the 8 MB memory card meaning you're most likely going to be droping more money for memory cards. -Oh yea, and right now you get 2 games with the Xbox while the PS2 has none.

Now that I've talked up Xbox, I really like the PS2 also. And if you don't have a PSone, getting a PS2 opens you to a ton of games you might have missed out on. And I really like Racer Revenge ( I love racing games) which is only on PS2. Also, Bounty Hunter looks cool and is not on Xbox, but Xbox has the Ace in the hole Knights of the Old Republic.

BTW- I've never had a problem with either system for reliability.

So both have their ups and downs, and both are great systems. It's really up to you, but if you have Broadband and play online I say definately Xbox. I'd suggest going and selling off blood plasma every week so you can buy both.

MATT - admitted game junkie looking for other SSGers to play Xbox live.
    * General Disclaimer- I can't spell or type- Deal with it.

Thanks for the info guys! Now my favorite question...are there game cheats available for PS2? I love to play the invincible mode!
    Mace
    YODA: "The FORCE is strong with you Master Windex.
    "Windows so clean, never have I seen!"
    Remember Herbie the Love Bug? Visit him online at www.HERBIEMANIA.com

Originally posted by mrmiller
    And currently a PS2 Memory card is about the same price as the Xbox DVD playback kit, and the PS2 network adapter is about the same as the Xbox Live sign up kit (which comes with a headset that makes online awesome). So the only real advantages is 10 (or is it 20) gig hard drive vs. the 8 MB memory card meaning you're most likely going to be droping more money for memory cards. -Oh yea, and right now you get 2 games with the Xbox while the PS2 has none.
    Ok, I gotta correct a few things here MrMiller . . . Sorry

All prices by WM
    PS2 Memory card - $24.96 or 2 for $34.96
    X-Box DVD kit - $28.88
    X-Box Live kit - not sure on the price of the kit, but online use costs $49.95 for 12 months
    PS2 Modem - $34.96 + free certificate for Twisted Metal Black: Online + no cost for online use after that

As far as the HDD goes vs Memory card. The good thing with a Memory card is you can take your saves and games to a buddies house to play. For the X-Box . . guess what? You have the buy a *gasp* 8MB Memory Card for it to do that. Unless you want to log that box around. Besides, the X-Box has a 8GB Hard Drive. The PS2 Modem has the attachments for a HDD whenever Sony releases it. I bet it will be bigger then the X-Boxes with the ability to select a size of HDD. 10GB, 20GB, whatever.

For a comparison of all the Systems, PS2, GC, and X-Box, check out this:
    http://www.howstuffworks.com/video-game5.htm

Now this only gives the technical data on each system. How they actually perform is different.
    Come see Dar' Live™ Aug 12-15 in Orlando!!!
    You're slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter.
    Hackers in hollywood movies are phenomenal. All they need to do is "c:\> hack into fbi"