Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A penchant for cyborgs

Couldn't they just have picked up Anakin's arm and popped the two into a bacta tank for a few hours? Seems to me they don't even try to re-attach limbs in the SW galaxy, they just stick on a prosthetic. I wish I had a cool robotic arm.

Not if you consider that the lightsaber actually cuts and fuses things at the genetic level. Remeber, it doesn't give off heat, it actually vibrates the materials it passes thru so fast that it disrupts them and that vibration is what causes the heat.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Confused! I'm sorry I don't really see the link with not being able to use bacta and the part abt a lightsabre fusing the arm. You mean once cut with the area hit by the sabre fusing cannot be saved by bacta?
    "It was just a little story outline with bits and pieces," -- George Lucas

The two ends of the wound are dead, all the cells and the nerve endings are destroyed when the lightsaber cuts thru the flesh. So saving and re-attaching the two parts becomes impossible. Now, if they wanted to cut back the dead tissue on both ends, maybe they could save the arm.

But even if that would be possible, the result would be that one limb was shorter then the other. Just look at Vader's head in ESB and ROTJ, those appear to be slashes from a lightsaber. So Obi-Wan probably has similar wounds on his leg and arm from Dooku's saber that never really healed.

So it's easier to just go with the more advanced mechanical replacement parts for lightsaber injuries. I'm sure in less serious instances, the limb could be re-attached medically. But the trilogy never shows how advanced medicine really is. Other then Bacta and Cybernetic replacement parts.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

You know, because all this information about exactly how a lightsaber does damage is readily available on the movie screen itself.

Your question was good and valid one, Fulit, and has no good onscreen-based answer.

Of course it's not up on the movie screen Stillakid, what do you expect Lucas to do. Just suddenly stop the movie and walk out with charts and diagrams that explain every little thing away. I thought that you were against explaining things, ala Midiclorians. The information is out there though.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I guess I would go with the cauteriztion throey as well, since that is what they pretty much say in the books (which in my opinion are more canon than the perquels).

But you would think medicinewould have advanced enough to re-attach it.
    "Roger Nasty Butler!"

Originally posted by JarJarBinks
    Of course it's not up on the movie screen Stillakid, what do you expect Lucas to do. Just suddenly stop the movie and walk out with charts and diagrams that explain every little thing away. I thought that you were against explaining things, ala Midiclorians. The information is out there though.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    But the Force was explained. Quite well in fact in The Empire Strikes Back. One of the penultimate sequences of the saga. The Midi's didn't "explain" anything, except that Anakin was somehow chock full of Force ability or something. Once again, another of your "proofs" is flawed.

The original question was a reasonable one in light of the Bacta Tank which seemingly is able to heal wounds. Why Luke would be fitted with a mechanical hand based on what we SEE and HEAR in the movie theater is a good question.

Yeah, the information is out there, but if audiences are suddenly required to study everytime they decide to go to see a movie, then there's something seriously wrong with the creative process.

And the deeper questions are ones we'll likely never see answered.

Can he crush a beer can with it?
    and
    Does the feel of that cold metal creep Padme out?

No answer about how strong the mechanical hand is. But likely atleast as strong or stronger then a typical human hand.

And Padme's wearing a leather dress, and in love with a guy with emotional problems. I don't think the metal arm/hand freaks her out.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Last edited by Beast; 01-11-2003 at 02:41 AM.