Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Is Power Rangers to Old?

Why is power rangers is showing?It's been like 20 different power rangers season's.Isn't it to old for T.V.?Tell me Why it ism't if you don't agree.

-Joey
    AKA CloneTrooperMace
    Signature Disabled

Because that Pink Ranger was kind of cute.
    "Roger Nasty Butler!"

I thought this was the 11th incarnation.

Power Rangers is consistantly one of the top selling toy lines of the year even though it has a fairly low non-kid/collector market. The show is relatively cheap to produce and apparently sickeningly simple to write. The rotating cast means that there is less chance of alienating an upcoming generation. The Power Rangers brand name is also one that sits on the cusp of being overused but never actually crosses into that level of annoying societal attention that's reserved for Jar Jar Binks and the Macarena.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    The show has gone downhill since a certain episode aired. That episode and every episode since bite. Well, I forget which episode it was, but it was the one that introduced the original five Rangers.

Basically, it's the kiddie show equivalent of fingerbikes. Or Nascar. Or pro wrestling.
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

Power Ranger is going on its 11th. season here in America and on its 27th. season in Japan.

I doubt it will be going off the air any time soon either. It has a fairly wide audience base ranging from as early as 2 to as old as 40. Besides that, Disney bought the rights to Power Rangers from Fox and Saban. They are now filming the American parts of the show in New Zealand using the same production company that did Hercules and Xena. I doubt they will let it fail immediately after buying the rights to the show.

As for why the show is attractive, there are a few reasons I can think of.

First, the fight scenes are relatively similar to the fights found in the Japanese Godzilla movies. This draws in fans if you are into that sort of thing.

Second, while the acting and dialogue is toned down and lame jokes are added for smaller children, the show remains quite dark compared to most other kid shows on the air. A few examples of this on the show include, but are not limited to, racism [bio-engineering children in the future for perfection, then rejecting the imperfect as outcasts (mutants) only to have them go into a life of crime], jealousy [murdering two best friends out of rage, because of being secretly in love with one of them and feeling hurt that they got married and had a kid], and treachery [setting your boss up to me murdered in order to take his place].

Third, you have a new cast and story every season (since season 7), as JT suggested, so that there is less chance of alienating an upcoming generation from joining in. They will be able to know what is going on currently on the show without having to see the previous seasons to enjoy it. As for veteren fans, they have at least one team up episode for them to keep everything in the same universe (continuation).

Fourth, you have Amit Bhaumik writing for the show now. He was the former Power Rangers Online Archives webmaster (one of the biggest Ranger fan sites to exist). So more of the stories are based on what the fans have been wanting to see, especially in the team up episodes.

Finally, you have people like Quite-Long Dong watching because they think the female Rangers are hot.
    Last edited by Lord Malakite; 01-12-2003 at 02:53 PM.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

I can't help it! They are, most of the time!

You think I watched those years of Beverly Hills 90210 and Saved By the Bell for the storylines???

"Roger Nasty Butler!"

bah, its all about the zords (well, the old cool ones anyway), anyone remember when they had the Green Dragon zord and Tor the shuttle zord? those was cool times.... Not like the car zords they had for awhile or the stupid shogun zords..
    "Ha Ha Ha Hee Hee Hee, I'm a laughing gnome and you cant catch me!" said the laughing gnome....

- David Bowie: The laughing gnome.

Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
    Basically, it's the kiddie show equivalent of fingerbikes. Or Nascar.
    Oh yeah, you just know the guys who write the scripts for all the deaths of NASCAR are just rolling in the dough! Bad comparison.

I used to watch Power Rangers when I was younger, if you don't take it seriously it can be enjoyable to a point. As for the success, it's because they constantly have a theme for each new generation, instead of there being just one that they might not understand. Now lately you know they're scraping the bottom of the barrel with the show moving from Japan to somewhere else and them incorporating CGI instead of guys in suits for the monsters and such. I have a feeling it won't be lasting much longer.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Only the American footage of the show is being moved to New Zealand. The reason for this is because its cheaper to film over there than in California. The Japan footage for the battles will still be the same as it always has been.

The CGI is only being used for the zords, partically the ones that can't be played guys in suits (lion, tiger, etc.). The monsters are still guys in costumes.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

Are Lord Zed and Rita Repulsa still around? and how about Zordon and that robot that always said "aye yei yei"?
    "Ha Ha Ha Hee Hee Hee, I'm a laughing gnome and you cant catch me!" said the laughing gnome....

- David Bowie: The laughing gnome.