Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

FAO Files For Bankruptcy

I just read this on Yahoo! News:

NEW YORK (Reuters) - FAO Inc.(Nasdaq:FAOO - news), the parent of FAO Schwarz and Zany Brainy toy stores, on Monday filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, succumbing to weak sales and intense competition from discounters.

The 141-year-old company, known for its flagship Fifth Avenue store in Manhattan where Tom Hanks danced "Chopsticks" on a giant piano in the movie "Big," said it will close 75 to 80 of its 253 stores, up from the 70 it announced in December. It sought protection from creditors after last month asking lead lender Wells Fargo Retail Finance to relax credit terms. (continued on Yahoo! News)

While I do hope for the best for all the employees of the company, this kind of comes as good news. I hope this means that Hasbro will not be giving them any more overpriced exclusives, and hell, maybe it means they will be giving the shuttle to someone else, because I really don't want to pay $100+ for that thing.
    Powdered Toast Man!

I feel bad for the employees, but on the other hand I hate FAO. Theres no reason to sell the figures for 10 each and why would a kid need a $35,000 mini Hummer. They needed to get off their high horse long ago and stop pretending that they are better than all of us.
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

Yeah what Turbowars said I hated how every thing was jacked up way higher than everywhere else and then they'd have the cool stuff I couldn't find anywhere else so it seriously serves them right.... And that would be cool to give the Shuttle to someone else but if not it'll be one heck of a collectable! ya'know last thing they made before the boom!
    Yuuzhan Vong Figure Petition

The Otters are attacking the Crab party!

oh and at the prolly accidental pun about the horse.... (See Las Vegas FAO Schwartz store)
    Yuuzhan Vong Figure Petition

The Otters are attacking the Crab party!

I've always liked going into FAO stores but have NEVER bought anything from them. The prices are a huge turnoff. That's why I'm not getting the shuttle. I'm all about Classic Star Wars vehicles but I'm passing.
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett

Note it says bankruptcy protection, not bankruptcy, there is a big difference. The Shuttles will not be affected in any way whatsoever!

That said, Hasbro may rethink doing any more FAO exclusives for the time being.

Maybe it should just not do any exclusives...

Originally posted by ShakkaUK1977

Maybe it should just not do any exclusives...
    I hear you! Unfortunately, that's the only way a lot of cool stuff gets produced, i.e., TIE Bomber, 12" Luke & Tauntaun, etc.

I had a friend that worked there in 2001. They knew then that things were ridiculious. She was in STL and knew the store was closing...also that the Chicago store was going to also. STL did but Chicago didn't (despite paying a rumored 40k a month in rent for there space on Michigan Ave). I was at the firehouse the other day and called to see if they were going to be getting any of the Shuttles in and they said this store has been closed since Jan 1. Now my question is, what are they going to be doing with the stock? I would love to get my hands on some of the discounted GI Joe stuff, but I don't want to mail order because they are frequently destroyed boxes because they are so big!

Originally posted by Teeska Mon Eebon
    oh and at the prolly accidental pun about the horse.... (See Las Vegas FAO Schwartz store)
    LOL, I been to that Vegas FAO lots of times. I know, after I typed that I thought of the huge Horse. Great store, just never had anything to buy.
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

Hey! Who's falling down on the job of merging threads. I started one about this subject back in December. Here's the link if anyone cares.

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums...idiously+darth
    Shop Smart! Shop S-Mart!