Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Red face Tales of SW Figures, part deux

This was an under-used thread in the old Forums, but I gotta keep it going!

I'll cut and paste my first one (a personal fave!) when I go back to the old Forums.
    "That's what Sheev said."

Exclamation And here it is!

One that always makes me laughs, deals with 2-1B. My friends and I would take his breathing tube out of his torso (I have since lost it), and we often played with figures in mud, water, sand, etc. One time, and I have no idea why, while playing in muddy water (Dagobah? Garbage Masher scene?), we stared yelling "Dirty water! Dirty Water!" while dunking our 2-1Bs in the water. Weird? Most definately.

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    When I was little I thought Stormtroopers were robots, as well all the stormtrooper variants (TIE Pilot, snowtrooper, AT-AT pilot etc) so I would have all the "Robots" attacking all the aliens in these elaborate battles where everybody had a special power. Like the AT-AT pilot could freeze things, and Walrusman could shoot water. I would play for hours, keeping stats of who won and who lost. Who beat who and how many times they fought. Eventually, G.I.Joe came in and kicked butt. Stormshadow and Snake-eyes were unstoppable...
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

I sense something about Eternal Padawan, something I haven't felt since....

Anyway, when I was about 10 or eleven, my brother and I were still banned from Star Wars toys (see previous Tales of Vintage Figures post) but my brother had managed to convince (read: beg) one of his friends to give him a couple of old Star Wars figures. ROTJ had just come out so all the kids were tired of their ANH and ESB figures, so my brother scored Boba Fett and Bossk! In his thoughtfulness he got one for him and one for me, but of course guess which one I got? Yes, Bossk. Sure it was a nice gesture and all, but Bossk was a pretty crappy looking figure. I would longingly look at Boba Fett then look at the Bossk I held in my hand and considered myself the unluckiest kid in the world. I mean his hands and feet didn't even match the color of his head!!

Eventually we traded them for ROTJ figures; I got a Gamorrean and my brother got Squidhead, and we were both happy.

The moral? For some oddball reason Bossk is one of my favorite vintage figures, probably purely for nostalgia value. Because he really is a crappy looking figure!
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

You traded Bossk for a gammorean and were HAPPY??!?! What the GONK!? Are you crazy? Fat action figures are NOT cool. Malikili? Lame. Porkins? please... And trading vintage FETT for Squidhead is grounds for an arse whuppin...

At the time it seemed like a good idea (remember I was like 10), but now...

My brother trading Fett for seafood face was a pretty dumb idea.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

I traded virtually all my G.I. Joe stuff for SW items. Not just figures. Blue Jedi Luke saber, Jedi Luke cloak, guns, etc. I was a fool, I think. I did get SW Han, DS Droid, Walrusman, and more, though.

When I was little, my SW toys actually knew Kung-Fu!! Living in an Oriental society, I was always bombard with Chinese movies from Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan etc. So, Stormtroopers and imperial lackey were always beaten crap by Luke Hoth and my personal favourite - Han Hoth. But my family was quite poor then, I can only afford figures and there was no vehicles or beast I can own for play. So the scenario is always like Kung-Fu fighting and their blaster was no good.

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    Hoth Han did have a nifty chopping hand didn't he?
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

I remember when I was in 11th and 12th grade, 1990-91, many of my friends suddenly felt "too mature" to have Star Wars toys, so they were getting rid of stuff left and right. My brother and I scored a jackpot from one friend who was 'growing up.' We got an AT-AT, Millenium Falcon, Rancor, B-Wing, TIE FIghter, Snowspeeder, AT-ST, Imperial Attack Base, Speeder Bike, and a slew of figures for $50!!!

I also mananged to get a perfect condition AT-AT Driver and Commander for $5 each from another friend, and my brother got a SW Vinyl carrying case, Boba Fett, and more figures for free from someone else!!

High School was a great time to be a Star Wars collector!