Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Don't forget about ACPin. He has made a wide range of dioramas + he the mod for this section.

JediDBM I didnot even think about the stores. I have been looking mostly on-line. If you find a poster with a long view on a mountain range let me know.

Any clue on what is profile board. Is it just syofrom board?
    Be not afraid of any man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens call on me, and I will equalize.

19th century ad for Colt revolvers

Be wary of the man who only has one gun...for he probley knows how to
    use it.

JediBDM, I just found the perfect background poster. I found it at a railroad website. Thanks for looking out for me.
    Be not afraid of any man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens call on me, and I will equalize.

19th century ad for Colt revolvers

Be wary of the man who only has one gun...for he probley knows how to
    use it.

No offense was meant at not including ACP in a previous message.

Cardboard and tape? I think an explanation is needed there!

Not a problem Dark Knight, I am glad you found what you were looking for, and when I am able to set everything back up, I will keep in mind the idea of using posters for a background.
    My Jedi name is Merdar Iyu
    Chewie? Chewie!!! Have you even seen Star Wars?!!
    "Lev, have you ever heard of Evil Kenevil?" "No, I never saw Star Wars"

I made tatooine buildings from corrugated card. used wood glue to fix all the rough bits together, styrene balls cut in half for the domes and then wall filer to smooth everything off. then i sprayed then with plasticote fleckstone spray which gives a smooth but rogh looking sandy texture. finally oversprayed that with a contrasting color to add some variation. It's dirt cheap to do and using old fruit cartons and wotnot the card is free. I also use mounting board for the doors and stuff. y'know that card they mount pictures in frames with? really cool stuff for modelling with but you need to have a sharp blade to cut it.

For my death star hangar floor i used plastic card from a modellers shop. It's in varying thicknesses and the black sheets have a shiny side and a matt side. Looks great though.

For the naboo plains i bought a roll of gras matting from a modellers shop that is usually used for railway enthusiasts displays. it comes in different seasons colors like summer and winter and you get a good meter by a couple of meters length on the roll. They also sell the stuff in the warhammer RPG range of gear but it's way expensive.

Originally posted by OC47150
    No offense was meant at not including ACP in a previous message.

Cardboard and tape? I think an explanation is needed there!
    None taken.

Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
    I made tatooine buildings from corrugated card. used wood glue to fix all the rough bits together, styrene balls cut in half for the domes and then wall filer to smooth everything off. then i sprayed then with plasticote fleckstone spray which gives a smooth but rogh looking sandy texture. finally oversprayed that with a contrasting color to add some variation. It's dirt cheap to do and using old fruit cartons and wotnot the card is free. I also use mounting board for the doors and stuff. y'know that card they mount pictures in frames with? really cool stuff for modelling with but you need to have a sharp blade to cut it.

For my death star hangar floor i used plastic card from a modellers shop. It's in varying thicknesses and the black sheets have a shiny side and a matt side. Looks great though.

For the naboo plains i bought a roll of gras matting from a modellers shop that is usually used for railway enthusiasts displays. it comes in different seasons colors like summer and winter and you get a good meter by a couple of meters length on the roll. They also sell the stuff in the warhammer RPG range of gear but it's way expensive.
    Any pics of these?
    ACPin
    SSG Dioramas Editor
    ACPin Star Wars Webmaster

Well these pics are just buildings i tried as prototypes for when i finally get round to doing something more permanent. I tried to find simple buildings to do first, ones i was familiar with. Like this one of wattos shop. It's missing the awning and a few details are just makeshift solutions like the twin smoke stacks at the side, I just used twisted newspaper and filler to do those things but if I was doing it for real I'd mold them from styrene.

So wattos junkyard was just paper mache and card. This tower is literally just a card half tube I constructed using the card from inside a new bedsheet or three. I cut half circles and then stretched the wall piece round them like i was making a boat. Then it was just a case of cutting strips to make up the built up relief panels and the bulge under the tiny windows. The roof is made from a styrene embroidery ring thing i got from a fabric shop. Then on top of that is a flat piece of styrene cut from an old refridgerator packaging piece, and finally on top of that is a styrene half ball. The whole thingg like i said was stippled with wall filler and then sprayed with fleckstone spray to give it a sand finish. The final touch was the half open door with the ribbed door trim that is supposed to be electrostatic repulsing. I ripped apart a thin piece of corrugat card and carefully took off the top layer leaving the ribbed section intact. Then cut a strip of it and glued it round the door. Looks really effective. The door is a double layer of the same card i built the tower from but with panels cut out from one piece. The dirtying was dry brushed but i should have used anoily paint thinned down to make it look authentic. I need to work on the weathering effects.

This one is made purely from corrugated card and styrene balls. The cantina was something i really wanted to make and with little room to do the interior i went for the entrance area. It's not totally acurate in size or shape but it's close enough for a dummy run. it's allowed me to see where the construction problems lie like the dome on the side of the building being a part of the roof too but the moldings on the far side of the dome where it meets the wall are different than i did them. The little arch thing on the entrance roof is wrong too and the door where the jawas sit should be wider. My reference pics weren't too hot when i made this but I'll do better next time. It's just old fruit cartons made into little boxes and glued together. Glue half balls on top and bobs your lobster - one cantina!