View Poll Results: Are you a Completist?

Voters
586. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I have to buy at least one of every figure Hasbro produces, even variations.

72 12.29%
  • Yes, I want to get 1 version of any new figure, even resculpts, but not the variations.

251 42.83%
  • Yes, but I complete a collection of only specific types, such as Classic Star Wars.

50 8.53%
  • No, I now buy only what I really like but I'm mad, as I used to like being a completist.

121 20.65%
  • No, I never had to have everything, I just get what I really like.

92 15.70%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    I buy what I like and I buy multiples of various army builders or for customising. I don't buy anything I think is junk. With the exeption of bargains where i'll buy a figure I hate just for the accessory but only if it's a real bargain. I buy most but not all vehicle releases though and sometimes multiples if they're cool and it would look silly just to have one. I buy from all the lines bar the roleplaying, 12" and action fleet lines. I had an action fleet obsession once but cured myself of it by smoking around the toys and having them all go brown. Couldn't be arsed to replace them and so my obsession died.

Completism in what sense though? I see my collection as near complete because I've bought everything i wanted to. It might not be a complete collection of everything hasbro spewed out over the years but it's my complete collection. So in that sense i am a completist because I've completed up to this point. It's a many sided prism to look through really and totally subjective as a question. :happy:

IMO, each collector defines "completist" for himself. I thought of myself as a completist even though I didn't get the Fambaa or Eopie or Rowarrr from the board game; and then when Hasbro came out with the Saga line, I no longer felt compelled to continue that level of completism.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Re: Are You A Completist?

Yes I Try To Get All Action Figures Released! And Even Variations If I Can Find Them. I Have Some Error Figures Even That Are Not Even Listed Here At SirStevesGuide So They Must Of Been One Of A Kind Error's? Or They Would Be Listed I Guess? In Some Cases That Is Great News As That Makes My Errors That More Special For Me.

I Been Collecting Star Wars Since 1980 And Have All The Original Figure Line From 1977 To 1985 And Even Ewoks And Droids. And I Have Variations From That Series. They Had Several Back In Those Days. Why? Because Back Then They Were Made In Several Countries And Each One Made Is Different In Some Way Than The Other Country Made. So No I Don't Have All Of Them As They Would Be Hard To Get All Of Those.

I Even Buy The Deluxe Packs And Any Vehicles That Come With A Figure. I Don't Even Collect The Vehicle's But If They Have A Figure I Have To Buy Them For The Figure Then.

The Cinema Scenes Were Very Nice For My Collection And Any Special Release's They Do.

I Am Not A Carded Collector! I Open All My Figures. So Card Variations Is Out For Me.

The Variations I Collect Have To Be Figure Only Variations. No Weapons Or Anything. I Could Care Less About That Kind. So Yes I'm Very Select Of What Type's I Do Buy.

I Now Hear Hasbro Has The Rights To Make Star Wars Until 2018? If So That Is Strange To Hear. Why? Because The Line Is Not As It Used To Be. Many Collectors Have Given Up On The Line. And Some Have Cut Way Back. So I Have A Hard Time At This Point To Think That The Series Will Last Past The 2005 Movie Figures! So For Hasbro To Have Rights For These Until 2018 Is Just Odd.

I Heard The Sales Were Down For Years Now On Star Wars So Why Would They Want The Rights For That Long? After 2005 I Just Can't See Star Wars Lasting To Long On The Market As The Movie Series Will Be At It's End. But Maybe Something By Then Will Change? Who Knows.

But Until That Day I'll Be Collecting Them Until Then I Hope.

MTFBWY
    Jedi-Dalsa
    Jedi-Dalsa

"I Heard The Sales Were Down For Years Now On Star Wars So Why Would They Want The Rights For That Long? After 2005 I Just Can't See Star Wars Lasting To Long On The Market As The Movie Series Will Be At It's End. But Maybe Something By Then Will Change? Who Knows." - Jedi-Dalsa

As far as I remember.... from recent news, Hasbro's sales were some of the best in the Toy business and Star Wars was #1 for Hasbro. Yes, things are the same as before, but they are better than they have been in ages.
    Ex-wife to me in the toy aisle: "Why do I sense we've picked up another plastic lifeform?"

Thanks to sebillba for the trade!

Plastic is expensive, especially that special Star Wars plastic

Then the toy business must be in a slump because Hasbro for last quarter didn't meet their estimated earnings from what I've heard, and the 2 quarters before that were even more dismal.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

The economy. Star Wars could (was) rated as the #1 toy property for Christmas, and 2002, and Hasbro's lightsabers were in second place at # 2 - which took even Hasbro by surprised or they would've rushed out electronic purple, yellow, orange, and green sabers in saga packaging before now.

That being said, they still could have not met their earnings expectations - but they did better than everyone else, including Mattel.

Barbie's down, Aayla Secura cut her out! (and the Nexu ate the pieces while the Gunship blew up HotWheel City!) Star Wars wins again!
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Hasbro met their earnings estimate for 1st and 2nd quarter 2002. Sure the economy was down and the toy industry with it, but Hasbro had foreseen how that would affect them in Q1 and 2 - and Q2 was a dismal estimate - so missing on Q3 and 4 and coming out ahead of the rest suggests just how bad off the rest of the industry must have been. Sales for SW were #1 for the holiday, but the whole industry was down, so I'm not sure that's a sign of strength in the line - seems more like a sign of weakness in the overall industry. Also, does anybody know if this moniker is based on actual purchases or just retailer orders? Or how about a comparison in number of 2002 vs 2001 sales, anybody have that?

I don't have the data, however, in the manner that a lot of statistics can be used, whatever the perspective of the writer, the stats will match.

That being said, if the articles were so positive, it might suggest a SW toy fan wrote them, taking into account whichever was higher: sales to the chains (Target, TRU, Wal*Mart, K-mart, KB) or those stores' sales to their retail customers.

However, seeing the turnover by a lot of the toys like I did, I think the line performed awesome. These figures shipped originally and either totally sold out, or are only on racks now because they were repacked in a very late and recent case:

Anakin Outland Peasant
    Padme Arena Battle
    Obi-Wan Coruscant Chase
    Jango Fett Kamino Escape
    SuperBattleDroid
    R2D2
    C-3PO
    Kit Fisto
    Boba Fett
    BattleDroid
    Geonosian Warrior
    Clone Trooper (Capt)
    Anakin Hanger Duel

K-mart is the most likely place you will still find these figures left-over from their original shipping cases. KB Toys comes up next.

My Toys R Us, Wal*Marts, and Targets are sold out of them, in addition to pilot Obi-Wan, Bespin Chewbacca, Bespin Darth Vader.

However, Hasbro doesn't always seem to care how their product sells once it's been bought by their direct-paying customers (the chain stores), or almost all of the product would be excellent quality. They sell some of it by the name, to whatever wholesale purchasers they can dupe for their own paychecks.

But WE have to like it, or our stores will be stuck with crap like that new R2D2 that's not going to sell for one per case (though I think they packed 2 in there) and those same stores will not buy more assortments from Rhode Island, and each time they do that, some ex-Hasbro employee probably adds to the state's welfare payroll.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.