Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    On the Bridge of my Super Star Destroyer... force-choking incompetent officers!

Why didn't Obi-Wan Force-Pull Jango's blasters?

When Obi-Wan meets Jango on the landing platform...why didn't Obi-Wan force-pull Jango's blaster from his hands?

(Keep in mind that yes...it would have changed the whole action sequence...)
    "The darkside of the force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be...unnatural"

"Join me... and together we can rule the galaxy as father and son"

A few reasons spring to mind:

a) It would be a crappy fight sequence if he did that,

b) There would be absolutley no fight sequences what so ever if a Jedi used the force every 10 seconds to stop a fight from happening,

c) George needed to write a fight sequence to show off Jango's skills (or to show off ILM's use of CGI ),

d) I think George would have gotten slated by all the fans if he kept doing stuff like this throughout the movie to avoid fight scenes,

e) Why didn't Mace Windu use toe force to take Jango's weapons?

f) Why didn't every Jedi in the arena use the force to take every weapon of every droid?

g) (my serious answer) I think Jango was firing his blasters too rapidly for Obi-Wan to even get a chance to take them off him. All Obi-Wan could do was defend himself. Even if Obi-Wan took Jango's weapons, he would then be caught off guard for Jango to get him with his flame thrower.

PENDO!
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection

Your answer is in Empire Strikes Back. Yes, Vader did pull Han's blaster from him. But not before Han got off a few shots at him. And while Vader can take a few shots, I doubt that Obi-Wan could survive being shot full of holes by Jango while he's attempting to force pull his blasters.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Har Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I agree with both Pendo & JJB. Jango was unloading shots too fast for Obi-Wan to do anything, and even had too roll out of the way to avoid being hit by the shots he couldn't block.

Jedi Outcast II shows a perfect example of how a Jedi can be hit by several laser blasts while trying to block with a lightsaber, and trying to force pull a foes weapon.

Vader on the other hand has mechanical hands and that was how he was able to block Han's laser blasts, and at the same time force pull his blaster.

hmph, whattaya know...I always assumed Vader was actually force pushing the blasts to block them.

I'll go with JJB's answer, with the real fact of the matter being that the movies action sequences would blow hard if that's how they always went down.

The answer is so much simplier guys: tight grip!

-or-

The answer is so much simplier guys: sticky gloves!

Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

*Resists strong urges to make comment about Jango's Sticky Gloves*

"Move along. Nothing to see here."

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

It's mentioned somewhere in the novel, I can't remember exactly what it says but during the fight, it says that all Obi-Wan is able to do is block Jango's blasts defensively, if you notice, he isn't deflecting them at Jango.
    Jango's onslaught is so fierce that all Obi-Wan can do is deflect them anywhere and defend himself.
    I guess Obi-Wan got caught up in the heat of the moment and didn't have time to use the force pull because before he could say the words "Jedi Knights love blue milk", Jango was firing at him with 2 blasters and then jetting off in his Jetpack.
    Last edited by Darth Trymybestus; 01-23-2003 at 04:56 AM.

On the Bridge of my Super Star Destroyer... force-choking incompetent officers!
    True...but if you notice...Obi-wan has time to ignite his lightsaber before Jango starts blasting him...so with that said...he did have time to force-pull them. Yes...had he done so...it would have been a pretty boring fight scene. I just love it when the force is used to push or pull people or objects.

As far as Vader is concerned...I always thought that either he was force pushing the laser bolts to stop them...or that he was using the force some-other way just to block them. I don't think it had anything to do with his mechanical arms. He was just that powerful...IMO!
    "The darkside of the force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be...unnatural"

"Join me... and together we can rule the galaxy as father and son"

You can't actually control the direction the deflected bolts go, however. They just bounce off at a random angle, and it's sheer luck when the bolt goes back to its firer.