Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New Challenger enters the Console Wars

Thats right, another system is entering the Console Wars.

Tampa Bay-based Infinium Labs announced yesterday that it will release its Phantom game console in North America by November this year. According to the press release, the new console will outperform all of those currently on the market and will be easy for children to use despite being so advanced that it will exceed the needs of hard-core gamers.
    Although it has not actually been confirmed, the fact that Infinium has stated that more than 33,000 games are already available for the console suggests that the Phantom will be able to play games designed for the PC and, perhaps, for certain game consoles. No specifications for the machine have been released at this time, but Infinium describes it as an "always on broadband device," and listed among its key features are:

Cross platform capabilities
    Online connectivity for multiplayer gaming
    Seamless upgrades and patch management
    Demo games before purchasing or subscribing
    Games on demand
    Game rentals

Infinium Labs has stated that it hopes to unveil the Phantom console sometime in March, perhaps at this year's Game Developers Conference in San Jose.
    Last edited by Lord Malakite; 01-22-2003 at 08:03 PM.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

This look like another Indrema. Rememebr that "super" console?

http://www.howstuffworks.com/indrema.htm

And it will meet with the same fate-

http://srd.yahoo.com/S=2766679:WS1/R...085622,00.html

Right now Xbox and PS2 are the gaming juggernaughts, and soon Xbox2 will blow all other sytems away. Microsoft is hell bent on world domination!

=MATT=

Originally posted by mrmiller
    This look like another Indrema. Rememebr that "super" console?

And it will meet with the same fate-

=MATT=
    I remember the Idrema, as well as the Nuon. I also feel that this system will meet a similar fate. Still, its fun to watch them try.

As for the X-Box 2 (currently dubbed the X-Box Next), it isn't set for a release until sometime around 2005, alongside the Playstation 3 and Nintendo's next system. All of which are currently under development.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces

Anybody remember the M2?

It was supposed to become a part of the 3-DO, then the technology was bought by Matsu****a, and it was supposed to rule the world.......yeah, never happened.
    "Roger Nasty Butler!"

I'm just wondering, what does it mean by cross platforming capabilities? Does that mean it will play the PS2 and GCN games? I thought that might be, oh I don't know, illegal?
    Back and more bearded than ever before

Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield
    I'm just wondering, what does it mean by cross platforming capabilities? Does that mean it will play the PS2 and GCN games? I thought that might be, oh I don't know, illegal?
    If that's not illegal, then there shouldn't be a problem with emulators. Unless they get a license for it, but I don't see Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft handding out licenses to their competetors.

Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
    Anybody remember the M2?

It was supposed to become a part of the 3-DO, then the technology was bought by Matsu****a, and it was supposed to rule the world.......yeah, never happened.
    I believe the Playstation was originally developed by Sony to be an add-on to the SNES. When that idea was scraped by Nintendo, Sony went ahead and produced thier own system. And look where they are now.

=MATT=

SO basically this is just a PC put into a game console.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

Originally posted by mrmiller
    I believe the Playstation was originally developed by Sony to be an add-on to the SNES. When that idea was scraped by Nintendo, Sony went ahead and produced thier own system. And look where they are now.

=MATT=
    It was. Phillips and Sony were working with Nintendo on the CD add-on system for the SNES to counter the Sega CD add-on for the Sega Genesis. After having multiple problems with both Sony and Phillips, in addition to seeing how poorly the Sega CD did on the market, Nintendo called the deal off. Sony and Phillips then took the designs and made their own systems with them. Phillips' system was the CD-i (which failed miserably) and Sony's system was the PlayStation.

Cool- I didn't rememebr if it was Sony or Phillips that worked with nintendo- I guess it was both. Now Sony trumps Nintendo big time. the Xbox has even moved ahead of the Gamecube in America and Europe. Maybe nintendo will pull the plug and become a Software house like Sega. If so, I bet they would be the #1 software company in an instant. Heck, they might just be the #1 software company right now, and they only make games for GC.

=MATT=
    * General Disclaimer- I can't spell or type- Deal with it.

I sure hope this article is right.

Phantom of the Vaporware
    Infinium's alleged new killer console could wow gamers this fall, or not...

January 21, 2003 - In what appears to be a grand hoax on videogame aficionados, a new Tampa Bay company by the name of Infinium Labs Corporation has announced its plans to deliver the most powerful new console on the face of the Earth, perfectly dubbed "The Phantom." That is, if the company and the product even exist.

Boasting a "robust, fault tolerant delivery system that supports games on demand, game rentals, game demos, seamless upgrades and patch management," Infinium Labs' new system is, at least on paper, the most powerful console in the world. Created for the hardcore gamer yet easy enough for children to use, the Phantom could be the fastest console on the market, with the broadest selection of pre-loaded games, with online connectivity, and much more. The list of features include:

Fastest console on the market
    Broadest selection of preloaded games
    Cross Platform capabilities
    State of the art design and architecture
    Advanced accessories and wireless capabilities
    Online connectivity for multiplayer gaming
    Seamless upgrades and patch management
    A multi-tiered subscription service that meets the needs of casual, moderate and hard-core game players
    Demo games before purchasing or subscribing
    Games on demand
    Game Rentals

Should be a knockout; we can't wait to see it when it debuts in March 2003, perhaps at D.I.C.E. or even GDC 2003.

IGN performed some cursory research on Infinium Labs to check its validity. The Website itself is fully registered, and the press release did in fact appear on www.PRnewswire.com, which means that somebody or some people went to the extent to create the Website and pay the fee to distribute the press release (which is about $350 per article).

However, several aspects of the press release, and even of the existence of Infinium and the Phantom, are more than troubling. The phone number listed for company contacts is answered by a recording device and gives no options for contacting specific employees. Our own call was not returned. Furthermore, the Phantom is not registered under any patents, and there are no indications on the site of a manufacturer, retail partners, first-, second- or third-party support, or most troubling, any listing of specifications.

An official unveiling is expected in March of 2003, so we're planning on seeing it at the GDC (an event Infinium claims to be attending, even though Infinium isn't actually on the exhibitors list). Prior to the GDC, the company says it'll be at the DICE summit. After the GDC, it says it'll be at E3. It's not on that exposition's exhibitors list either. Other searches for trademarks and other such indications of legitimacy all turned up nothing.

With such a vast list of unknowns, we remain skeptical of this alleged super-console until further details can be released. However, if this is a real product, we look forward to ts arrival. Infinium Labs Corporation could not be reached for comment before our publish deadline tonight. Look forward to more interesting revelations on this "Phantom" menace in the near future.

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/383/383306p1.html

"When we withdraw from the home game console, that's when we withdraw from the video game business."-Nintendo President Satoru Iwata
    Back and more bearded than ever before