Hybrid View

Could Nintendo be the next Sega??

Well lately there have been alot of rumors about Nintendo leaving the Hardware market and going the way of Sega by producing only software for other platforms.

Many game developers have been canceling titles on the system as of late in favor of PS-2 or X-BOX versions. The fact that Nintendo decided to let Microsoft purchase the software developer RARE instead of purchasing it themselves lends legitamacy to this rumor. The GC might go the way of the Dreamcast or it could become like the N-64 and have only a few releases a year. I know I'm in the minority owning all 3 current systems so this doesn't really bother me. I already wait to see if the game will be offered on other systems and will usually buy the X-box version above all others. Since I've been burned by other consoles before like the 3DO, The Jaguar, Sega CD, and the "I can't believe I bought that" 32X add on for the Genesis I bought my GC fully aware of this possibility. With the exception of just a few titles like Eternal Darkness and SW Bounty Hunter my game library on the GC consists of all Nintendo published games. In fact it really doesn't bother me a bit if the big N decides to give us only in-house games of such quality as Mario Sunshine, Metroid Fusion, and Zelda.

I'm just wondering how many people would still consider buying a GC knowing this could be a future possibility?

I've been out of the consoles circle for a while now. I'm getting to old, not enough time to play, and my reflexes and fingers can't manage the 12+ buttons on most controllers. Last one I bought was the Super NES...and to be honest I'm quite suprised that Nintedo has lasted as long as it has.

If I had to guess, I'd say Nintendo will fall to the way side in a few more years. The only reason why I say this, is because game systems have a short life span and technology is moving too fast, and their game base is too small. It's time is almost up, and the PS2 and X-box will fill in the void. I'm not up on all the new functions, but isn't the GC lacking with add on stuff and compaired to the others? Not to mention my friends who had the N-64 were always talking about that CD or DVD thing Nintendo was going to come out with...but never did. I left the nintendo ranks when the games were sparce and that whole DK country thing came to life and Mega Man was changing. The playstation or sega mega man was 10 times better than the nintendo versions.

Back in the day...I grew up with the Atari and Ca-li-co-vision (sp?)
    Big things back in the day. Even then the game base was huge, but technology did them in. After than that comidor computer came out along with the apple and they had computer games which were much better and it cooler to have a computer vs atari.
    Then hit the big video games and arcades. Circus Pizza, Showbiz, Chuck E. Cheese...and ever bowling alley, and mall had an arcade which put the computers to shame. Then IBM and some of the other now dead computer systems (Amigo, and the like that tried to specialize in games only) came into full swing with games, graphics and technology...and it was no longer cool to go to the arcade. Then Nintendo crashed onto the scene and that was the cats meow. Tons of games and little to no competiton cept the computer. Then sega came along and then there's consoles galore these days. I walk into a games shop and nintendo has a small space compaired to the playstation and x-box. I don't think they can keep up much longer.

Nintendo even when I had it, was lagging behind in games and add on once it upgraded to the super nes. I know I lost interest when there were fewer and fewer titles for the Super Nes. Nintendo had a hard time competing back then, and I don't think they'll last through the next console advancement.

Nintendo is already working on its next game system, which is set to be released in 2005 along side the Playstation 3 and X-Box Next. As for Nintendo going third party, they have stated that will never happen.

Here is an exert from an interview with Mr. Iwata, Nintendo's current president:

"We are developing a new home video game console with a plan to release the new system around the same time as rival makers do," said Iwata. "The PlayStation 2 debuted one-and-a-half years ahead of the GameCube. If we had launched the GameCube at the same time as PlayStation 2, the result would have been different. ... We will get ready for a (new) battle in 2005 although foreign game developers are now saying that rival next-generation systems won't come until 2006."

Iwata emphasized Nintendo's plans to stick in the console industry by saying, "When we withdraw from the home game console, that's when we withdraw from the video game business."
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

I actually would be for that. I would really prefer to have a PS but I gots to have my Zelda and Mario titles!!!!! That would be cool to have them on the PS3!!!!! Because there are so many of the other titles I grew up on with Nintendo that are only for PS2.
    Like Metal Gear, Contra etc.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

Originally posted by Lord_Malakite
    Nintendo is already working on its next game system, which is set to be released in 2005 along side the Playstation 3 and X-Box Next. As for Nintendo going third party, they have stated that will never happen.

I'd take any statement that Nintendo releases regarding future systems with a grain of salt. Remember when everyone told them they were crazy for making a cartridge based N-64 to compete with the CD based Playstation? Nintendo swore they would realease the 64DD add on for their machine and it never happened. They even went as far as developing games for it some of which we will be seeing as future GC titles. If they were to enter exclusively into third party game development they sure wouldn't be telling us they were thinking about it. Either way publishers who have cancelled games that were planned as GC titles is an indication that the only things selling on this system are the Nin-published titles. It is really only a guess on my part that this will happen (and beleive me I hope it doesn't) but it is far to similar to what happened when developers decided to publish games on the more developer friendly Playstation back in 94-95 instead of the N-64.

Originally posted by Hellboy
    Nintendo swore they would release the 64DD add on for their machine and it never happened. They even went as far as developing games for it some of which we will be seeing as future GC titles.
    The 64DD was eventually released by Nintendo. It remained exclusive in Japan however because it saw very little support from consumers, which dosen't suprise me since thats what basically happened for Nintendo's two previous add-ons for the NES and SNES. As a result, there were only like 10 games produced for it.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces

I wonder if the GC titles will be compatible with the next Nintendo systems like PS1 is with PS2.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

No word has been mentioned if the next system will be backwards compatible with the GCN yet, but if Nintendo is smart, it will be. Afterall, the GBA is backwards compatible with the GBC and original GB.