Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Queensryche fans: Geoff Tate's new album is really good - review

I just got Geoff Tate's first solo album and it's really good.

It's a lot more mellow than the Ryche plays, but his vocal range really shines. In this age of mass-marketed pop acts, here's a rock vocalist that can really sing. His vocals will be much more stronger than any of the tracks' guitars or bass rythyms - but that's the way he always sounded best. Queensryche's guitars, especially Chris', were perfect compliments to Geoff's lyrics, no matter how hard they rocked.

This album isn't really hard rock, though a minority of the songs are.

If you liked Q2K, there's stuff on there that would remind you of "Liquid Sky," but more of it is similar to "Someone Else" from The Promised Land.

Sometimes I wish we had a music review section here, but I imagine this post will be very useful to a relatively few people here -however, if you've never heard Queensryche or Geoff Tate, check out the music if you'd like something new and really good.

He's still on Seattle's music scene's cutting edge - even if he's doing something old in a fresh new way.

If you really like the old style, I need to get the names of several bands from my comic book store owner agian. He listens to new artists, that bring out a fresh return to that gothic metal type scene that Queensryche played to in Rage For Order, and The Warning - like "Road to Madness," one of my all time most favorite songs.

Curious? The Warning is almost another concept album that tells a story sort of like Mad Max or The Terminator, and brings us into the downward spiral towards nuclear anihilation and the morning after - with almost a mix of the supernatural in it.

Most fans will rave about "Operation: Mindcrime" but it's so over-played still amongst my own CD's, that I'll let somebody else talk about it.

Meanwhile, Geoff's mellowed, but his vocal talent is as sharp as ever, and worth it if you like a really good singer. I like his softer stuff, but wish The Ryche would go back and cut a fresh take on an "Old School" Goth-Metal style. We seem to be headed towards the days that we'll need it.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I'm not too big on Promised Land or (especially) Q2K but I would be curious to see what Tate's done here . . . I'll have to give it a try.

What has the status of the 'Ryche been lately? I used to follow them, but haven't paid much attention for awhile. Is this solo endeavor just a side project?

I'll do it, Tycho...

Operation:mindcrime...incredible album. And still relevant now. One of 80's metal's best, IMO.
    "Whatever you do, take care of your shoes."

Queensryche has not broken up, nor are they recording right now.

I went to their website, no doubt www.queensryche.com and while it hasn't been updated too recently, there are links to each of the orginal band members' personal sites, which tell what they are doing these days since 1999's Q2K.

Since Goeff Tate's vocals (combined with the concept album ideas, rock opera, etc.) were what kept me spellbound with Queensryche, I checked out his site only (so far). I don't remember if I said it or not, but there you can download the first single for free.

Note though: it is harder rock (that single) than the majority of the album, which has 2 nearly piano ballads on it. But I played the whole CD for two friends today. A girlfriend of mine, 23, really liked it, as she'd been a fan since Empire and "Silent Lucidity" (of course). My comic books dealer, in his 50's, and old school goth metal fan since Judas Priest and Iron Maiden's hailing days, also really liked it. He said "it was different, but really listenable." He'd first questioned whether Geoff was trying to survive after everything he's done got old, and has been outgrown. Instead, after hearing it, he wants a copy. On a final note of the tracks' diversity, I think my Mom, in her 50's, is going to like this one too.

I already have some songs stuck in my head - which is another good sign. So whatever Geoff's doing, he's doing it right. This is more "alternative" than traditional Queensryche, so you're prepared.

One final thing: Judas Priest's lead singer, Iron Maiden's, and Geoff have all confirmed that they are coming together for a metal project called "The Three Tremors." They haven't gotten around to it, but Geoff, an admirer of the other 2 that got him into rock n roll, has wanted to do this for a long time. Expect it will happen, but maybe it will take a couple years. I'd expect the project will be of a gothic metal style, but they might try everything that appeals to them. At least Geoff's into making music for himself as an artist, not for his fans. His website where in forums he talks to fans says he still cares, and hopes they grow to like what he has. "Be true to yourself, as 'I Am I' " has never been more true.

It's a good album. Let me know if you enjoy it.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I'd heard the "Off the TV" tune a while back...then listened to it again after reading this thread. I think it's cool.

I only have Queensryche's earlier stuff, and even though I didn't get anything after Empire, it is my favourite. How does the new stuff compare to it?
    Starcruiser... crash!

Well, just as you can love Star Wars and then like different movies more at different times, I love almost everything Queensryche did - well I definitely like everything they did.

I am apt to say that The Warning is possibly my favorite album.

Operation Mindcrime is always awesome, but like a song overplayed by the DJ and commercialize, Mindcrime was overplayed by me, so I did it to myself. I can take it once it's on, but I don't usually put it on too often. Every so many weeks or longer maybe. The Warning I listen to more often.

Rage For Order is also a favorite. Empire is great, but I like songs like "The Thin Line" and "Hand on Heart" that were not as radio-played.

Promised Land is also great, and "Someone Else," the ballad is just epic.

On Geoff's new solo album, there is a song, "In Other Words" that is just about as powerful of ballad, and I totally dig that. It's so epic, it's like the title song of some movie or something - has that feeling that the whole Warning album put out, but in that one song.

Geoff's album is on the lighter side - lighter than Q2K for sure. But there are songs that might vaguely remind you of "Liquid Sky" and other tracks I liked on Q2K. In my opinion, Hear in the New Frontier could've been their weakest album - but I have to be in the mood to listen to their first LP with "Lady Wore Black" and "Nightrider" etc - though "Prophesy" is my favorite track on the LP and always listenable.

But on Geoff's new stuff, track #3, "Helpless" is just playable over and over again! It's got spanish guitar, with even a baseline of a dancebeat in the backdrop, and might remind you of SpOOL from "Hear in the New Frontier" - one of that album's best songs!

It's hard to describe, but good if you can check it out or download something before you buy. "On the TV" is on the Geoff's website which you can get from Queensryche.com, but there are even better songs than that. But it does NOT take a lot of getting used to, though I'd say it falls into the category of listening to that Promised Land, Q2K, and Frontier did, maybe a little bit of Empire - just nothing that rocks that hard.

Warning, Rage, Mindcrime, LP, are all a different style of music, but there are crossovers since it's all Geoff and a lot of his influence. You can be in the mood for one or the other, but both are good.

Too many people say Metallica isn't good anymore. Ha! They rock.

It's just that And Justice For All was there last real 'speed metal' style album, like Puppets, Lightning, their LP, and Garage Days stuff.

I love both, but would choose albums from only one of their 'era categories' to listen to on the same day.

Black, and both "Loads," are not the same kind of music. Same thing with Queensryche. But doing the same thing over and over again gets boring. That's why "Sanitarium" (Metallica) or "Road to Madness" (Queensryche) are such great songs - they just play it, instead of try and copy it over and over again.

When the artist is talented, you can appreciate anything they put a lot of effort into, even if it's different from what comes before.

Originally posted by Tycho
    Too many people say Metallica isn't good anymore. Ha! They rock.

It's just that And Justice For All was there last real 'speed metal' style album, like Puppets, Lightning, their LP, and Garage Days stuff.

Black, and both "Loads," are not the same kind of music. Same thing with Queensryche. But doing the same thing over and over again gets boring. That's why "Sanitarium" (Metallica) or "Road to Madness" (Queensryche) are such great songs - they just play it, instead of try and copy it over and over again.
    We should talk sometime. I've got a lot of stuff that could fill hours of discussion about that very band (Metallica). I don't know what you're saying about Justice being the last real speed metal album. I always thought of that album as them slowing it down and trying to impress a lot of people with their heavy sound, maybe due to Cliff's death. But anyway, that's a discussion for another topic.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

Speaking of both these bands I was lucky enough to be on the floor for the Queensryche/Mindcrime Metallica/Justice tour. Great, great show.
    "Whatever you do, take care of your shoes."

Whoa! That would have been cool. I didn't get to see them in concert until the Building Empires Tour (the last time they were going to do the whole Live Crime bit in the middle of it). I saw them in Chicago (funny, their website even told me the exact date! I'd forgotten and did so again, but I can look it up). However, I think I'd learned that this was the concert they used to make the LiveCrime Movie from. That is such a great box set!

Anyway, since Metallica's become part of the discussion, their first shows I saw were the Load and ReLoad tours. They sure did play stuff from Puppets and Lightning though! Never forget the classics! They even played "One" live.

Queensryche, I saw Empire in Chicago (with Suicidal Tendancies - they're ok live), Promised Land in San Diego (with Type O-Negative!- awesome!) Frontier in San Diego (not sure with who now...), Q2K in San Diego (with a local KISS coverband or something), and if Geoff is coming, I'm going!

Now that we got into concerts, I forgot what the heck we were talking about!

James-Boba: private message or e-mail me about Metallica anytime. Since this thread's turning into a 'hard rock / metal thread' anyway, I don't see why we can't discuss James, Lars, Jason, et all here, too - just try not to bring in too many bands or it probably should go in another thread. (I don't think Poison, Winger, Warrant, etc. belong being discussed here!!!)

I do like Anthrax, though State of Euphoria is about all I know. I head "Law" was more rapping, and that turned me off. Maybe today I could tolerate it, as I really am into Linkin Park, but it's just not what I picture Anthrax recording.

Scorpions and Whitesnake are playing here on Valentine's Day I think - across the street at my college's amplitheater. I'm probably going to go. I've always liked both of those bands for as long as I can remember.