Thread: a book

a book

I need help remembering a book i read in middle school. I only recall a few details about so any help i could get i would really appreciate. It has to do with a country that is run by tall three legged robots. The main character was a boy and he eventually meets a kid thats called Beanpole. I think the books ending has to do with the kid and a little toddler that he picks up along the way finding their way to a village i believe. I think the story is made up of three books. Thats about all i can recall. Why this book has been bothering me i dont know. I dont even remember if i liked the book.

I think that this is the book you're talking about. It took me about 3 seconds to find it with a short review. You gotta love Google. I've never read it though.

THE WHITE MOUNTAINS by John Christopher

Most people would think that they were dreaming if huge, three-legged, mechanical robots were taking over the earth. The problem is that Will, Henry, and Beanpole are not dreaming. Huge mechanical robots called tripods have taken over the earth and these three boys are trying to excape. The one place they can escape to is far away and they'll have to journey a great distance to get there. This place is called the White Mountains...
    "If you enjoy reading this book, you will enjoy the other books in the Tripods trilogy." (Sci-Fi) (Reviewed by Amber, Age 13)
    Last edited by 12inch Lando; 01-30-2003 at 09:18 AM.
    -`,,``,,``
    Who are you?
    Why are you?
    What do you want?

Thanks for the help 12inchLando.
    Good Traders/Sellers: Cameo, Darth Cruel, Sith Killer 99, JJReason, icatch9, ChasingJediDogma, AT-AT Man, JediMasterGuyute, Brainiak76, JangoFett96, njscollectibles, Vulcantouch, AC Pin, TheDarthVader, msjedi, DarthQuack, Roojay

Sho nuff.
    -`,,``,,``
    Who are you?
    Why are you?
    What do you want?

The books were turned into a live action TV series in the mid eighties by the BBC here in the UK. Quite good really for a kid oriented series. The tripod effects were reasonable and the acting wasn't too hammy. Season one and two are available on DVD although season three was cancelled before it went into production. I know you were after the book title but I thought it might be an interesting side step to mention the tv series....

You can get the DVD's from anywhere that stocks BBC products. like www.play.com.

Thanks for that info emperor jargo. Im probably going to read the first book again to see if i like it and if i do i will look into getting the dvd.
    Good Traders/Sellers: Cameo, Darth Cruel, Sith Killer 99, JJReason, icatch9, ChasingJediDogma, AT-AT Man, JediMasterGuyute, Brainiak76, JangoFett96, njscollectibles, Vulcantouch, AC Pin, TheDarthVader, msjedi, DarthQuack, Roojay

I read those back in the day, myself. Not a bad series of books.