Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Unhappy Shuttle Columbia

Very sad day,I feel for the families.

Anyone in Texas see anything?I've heard some reports on CNN,but I'd like to know in detail.Funny that it happened so close to the Challenger explosion(About a week).
    Last edited by InsaneJediGirl; 02-01-2003 at 11:06 AM.
    Treat your stepmother with respect Pantera, or you'll be sleeping in the streets!!

I saw that. Very sad indeed.

I still remember exactly where I was when I heard about the Challanger disaster.
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".

Indeed a moment of silence.
    If Yoda is capable of kicking someone's @$$, imagine what a muppet could do!

I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area of Texas. I was at home and on the computer at about 8 AM this morning when I heard a rather strange boom-like sound and had the sensation that the house shook (only sllightly). I did notice that the blinds on the living room window seemed to be shaking.

It was not a loud boom (we have had the transformer on the phone pole out back blow out once and THAT was a loud boom), but enough to seem quite unusual. I was curious enough since there seemed to be some kind of impact to take a look around outside. I found our largest cat near the porch looking quite guilty so I assumed that he had been chasing one of the other cats and had crashed into the front door.

Later in the morning I turned on the television. I rarely watch TV in the morning on the weekends. I don't know what inspired me to do as much. Whichever chanel I selected was showing paid advertizing (Ron Popiel and his little rotisserie), so I flipped a few more channels and saw the images that will undoubtedly play out on every major station all weekend. Needless to say I was quite shocked and saddened.

To add further to the tragedy, one of the local stations was dwelling far too much on the presence of an Israili astronaut on the mission and some speculation was voiced that there could be a connection. Though the speculations were kept to a minimum, they could not seem to get off of that subject, undoubtedly fueling further speculation on the part of much of their viewing audience. It was only much later in the morning that I found a station that took the time to discover that the shuttle reportedly suffered some exterior damage upon its launch 16 days earlier. That is as likely (or more likely) a contributing factor than the terrorist speculations fronted by the yellow journalists on the other station. The real shame is that real people were killed in this accident. Wives and husbands, mothers and fathers, sons and daughters. Real living people. And the newspeople spent more time speculating on foul play than expressing sympathy for the loss of lives and the impact on the astronauts' familes.
    "Does the name "Dingo" mean anything to you?" - Jedi Boulton to DingoDad at the October Dallas ComiCon.

My house shook as well Cole. It sounded as if someone has slammed a door somewhere in the house really hard. This is really depressing.

Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope

Crazy..... I saw the title of this thred and just naturally assumed that it was a challenger reference...

Gotta love yellow journalism, eh JC?? Vultures.

My condolences to all.... nothing else to say.
    Something about him reminds me of my older brother, Rex.

The shuttle was traveling at 6 times the speed of sound at an elevation of 200,000. Fox news is saying that it was most liklely an accident and I tend to agree.

My condolences to the families and friends.
    May the force be with you.

I had been watching NBC for about an hour, and they had made more than enough references to the Israli astronaut (particularly the female host), and an act of possible terrorism that I had to change the channel. Sickning.

This is truely sad, so much that I cannot describe. My heart and prayers go out to the families of these truly heroic human beings.