Page 4 of 68 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
    They seem to be making a lot of plans without announcing a replacement for Jason. Any chance they would hit the road with a standin?
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Don't worry about the bass player vacancy. They started the bass player audtions awhile ago so that they would have a person ready to tour with them. So there won't be a standin, since whoever they pick (expect the announcement soon) will be their official bass player from now on. As Lars said, "It was for the sake of touring and merchandise." So, uh, yeah next time they play live you'll see the 4th official Metallica bass player.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

Who was the guy that filled in on rythym after Jaymz was attacked by pyro? I know his name was John _____ and he was from Metal Church . . . I want to guess John Marshall but I think that's wrong . . .

I think it was John Marshall. He filled in for James both times he got hurt.

Just to respond to Caesar's Lemmy post-
    When Motorhead played in the aforementioned field, a few buddies of mine were at a "gentlemans" club and met Lemmy at the pool tables, he was all sullen and drunk and complaining about the sound crew at the show (it was pretty bad, but I was in a good enough condition that I didn't care, as long as it was REALLY loud....it was)
    Metallica- that quote about "merchandising" made me recall how, a couple years ago, I wanted to make a shirt with McTallica on it, as they were just pumping stuff out with little consideration as to what it actually was... I didn't like anything off of load OR reload (except no-leaf clover), and the S+M concept, although a good idea, was executed SO BADLY... the orchestra just goes "zhunt-zhunt-zhunt" noodling around in the background, trying to avoind establishing any sort of distinct counter-melody or anything, they're just there, playing the chords...
    Ahhh, sorry, here it is the metallica thread and I start hosing them... SORRY!!!
    I really love the 1st 3 albums though, and all the garage stuff
    Something about him reminds me of my older brother, Rex.

What about ....And Justice for All?

I dunno, man, it's pretty good I guess... I mean, there's a few good bits on it.... I play guitar and have worked in studios, so I am critical in a weird way about music.... to me, And Justice really sounds about the same as "Back in Black", I mean, it's just not the same as the stuff that came before, it sounds too much like an attempt to recapture something with different equipment/members...
    I really only like up to puppets... on Justice, it really sounds like they've switched to a more dirge-y style, whereas on the first 3 you can hear the bass really upping the ante, in the same way that noel redding kept Hendrix on his toes, and the bass just isn't driving the music on Justice, IMHO....
    I'm not slagging anything, just felt like I should explain, since a lot of folks like the 1st 4, and I just can't get past the first 3...
    Ah well, I think Accept and Saxon were ingenious, so don't listen too hard
    Something about him reminds me of my older brother, Rex.

Accept? "Balls to the Wall"?!?!?!

I agree that there are some sound issues on AJFA but I think the album would sound a lot better with a simple remixing in the studio as I had said before.

AJFA always seemed to have a "Dark Side of the Moon" feel to me with the lengths of the songs as well as the intricate/complex melody shifts throughout most of the songs. I think that is the one thing that I miss the most from the newer albums are those intricate elements. The earlier stuff, until the Black Album, had so many different elements that I don't see anywhere in the newer stuff. I think that is why I feel S&M is a breath of fresh air as it was an attempt (some of it successful and some not) to recapture that depth missing lately.

Of course don't listen to me too hard either, I own, listen to and enjoy Winger.

"She's only Seventeen...........seventeen."

Originally posted by mabudon
    Ahhh, sorry, here it is the metallica thread and I start hosing them... SORRY!!!
    That's what the thread is for. I think all of us in here are open enough about music to see the music criticized. I'm surprised there haven't been more people in here attacking the band for things they've done. Then again, maybe the 5 of us who've been keeping this metal thread going are the only ones who know the music enough to discuss it. So, uh...I'll keep my eyes open about that tour that's being announced in LA. Please come within 2 hours of the Cincinnati area on this tour.

Here's the press release!

FOR IMMEDATE RELEASE
    February 5th, 2003

METALLICA, LIMP BIZKIT and LINKIN PARK COMMITTED to the SANITARIUM
    Rock fans rejoice! Three of the music world's greatest, most vital bands are joining forces for one of the most compelling tours in rock history, the Summer Sanitarium Tour 2003. Metallica, Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park come together for this once-in-a-lifetime live extravaganza that will kick off this coming summer, with all 3 bands playing headline length sets. The 3 groups are also delivering new albums to coincide with this unprecedented juggernaut throughout the U.S. The Summer Sanitarium Tour is slated to officially begin on July 4th. Metallica's inaugural Summer Sanitarium tour - which trekked across the U.S. in a series of sold out shows in the summer of 2000 - was one of the most successful concert events of that year, and featured some of the biggest names in rock, including Metallica, Korn, Kid Rock and System Of A Down.

For Metallica, who will be delivering their first studio album in more than five years this summer, the tour will mark their first appearance on American stages since 2000's Summer Sanitarium run. With more than 85 million albums sold worldwide, and holding down gold or platinum certifications in more than 40 countries, Metallica enters their third decade at the top of their game, largely regarded as one of the most influential groups in music history. Since their inception in 1981 the group has broken countless records, garnered numerous awards including 6 Grammys and engaged in several history-charting performances, including a groundbreaking appearance with the San Francisco Symphony in 1999. Their much anticipated new disc - their 8th studio album - entitled St. Anger, will be in stores on June 10th and is their first studio release since 1997's Re-Load, which debuted at #1 in 12 countries around the world and has sold more than 12 million albums worldwide to date.

Limp Bizkit, led by multi-talented frontman Fred Durst burst on to the rock scene in 1997 with their masterpiece, Three Dollar Bill, Y'all$, and are credited with single-handedly re-invigorating the rock genre by changing the face of alternative and rock radio. Having sold 28 million albums worldwide with just 3 studio releases, their last studio album Chocolate Starfish and The Hot Dog Flavored Water, sold 13 million copies worldwide and is certified platinum in 33 countries. It is the only rock record in the history of Sound Scan to sell over 1 million copies in its first week of sales. The band's long awaited follow up, Lessismore is tentatively set to be released May of 2003.

Linkin Park became the biggest selling band of 2001 with more than 8 million albums sold for their acclaimed album Hybrid Theory. Hailed by critics and fans alike as one of rock's most important new forces, the band refuses to be pigeonholed as 'just' a rock band, describing their sound as a 'cross-section of many genres', including alternative rock, hip hop and electronic. For the past eighteen months Linkin Park has been hard at work on Meteora, their new album on Warner Bros. Records due March 25th, 2003. Produced by Don Gilmore and Linkin Park, Meteora features Linkin Park's new single 'Somewhere I Belong,' which will be released to radio in late February.

In addition, Summer Sanitarium Tour 2003 is proud to announce Mudvayne to the line-up. The Peoria, Illinois, quartet are supporting their second album, The End of All Things To Come following the gold success of their debut L.D. 50.

In no particular order, here are the confirmed cities for Summer Sanitarium Tour 2003. Specific dates to be confirmed later. Most of these shows will go on sale February 22nd. Stay tuned! (One more band still to be announced!!!)

Minneapolis
    St. Louis
    Orlando
    Philadelphia
    New York
    Boston
    Columbus
    Montreal
    Dallas
    Houston
    Seattle
    Denver
    San Francisco
    Los Angeles
    Detroit
    Toronto
    Washington /Baltimore
    Chicago

I just read that last unannounced band is going to be the Deftones. That is all.
    Last edited by James Boba Fettfield; 02-06-2003 at 05:25 AM.