Thread: RIP Koko Taylor

RIP Koko Taylor

One of two Chess legends to have claimed the title of "Queen of the Blues," she died yesterday following complications from surgery. She was one of the very few women to sing the blues the way the men sang it. (It's fitting that her greatest hit, "Wang Dang Doodle," was a success for Howlin' Wolf, too, since she sounded more like him than any other woman.)

You're either sad over this great loss to music, or you haven't heard her sing. If you've not heard her, you'll be saddened when you do.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Philistines. Go listen to your Fall-Out Boy and Miley Cyrus.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I don't recall ever hearing of her before...but I played that YouTube link and she definitely had some chops! RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    One of two Chess legends to have claimed the title of "Queen of the Blues," she died yesterday following complications from surgery. She was one of the very few women to sing the blues the way the men sang it. (It's fitting that her greatest hit, "Wang Dang Doodle," was a success for Howlin' Wolf, too, since she sounded more like him than any other woman.)

You're either sad over this great loss to music, or you haven't heard her sing. If you've not heard her, you'll be saddened when you do.
    I'm not sure if I've heard of her before or not, but PJ Harvey did a cover of "Wang Dang Doodle."