Page 1 of 68 123451151 ... LastLast

The Metallica Thread

Well, under the advice of Tycho and my own consideration, I decided to start this thread based off of the side tracked conversation occuring in the Queensryche thread. I really don't know how to start this thread off, but I suppose it can be opened up with the discussion of the new Ramones tribute cd. Metallica's got a cover on there of 53rd and 3rd. I heard the song back in November, and I thought it was done very well, even if the sound quality of the file sucked.

Anyway, this is a thread to discuss whatever about the said group. Here's me hoping this thread finds the hard rock crowd and stays affloat long enough to see the release of the most anticpated album of 2003.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

Well, MY most anticipated album of '03 is Aerosmith's blues disc.

Oh yeah, Metallica. Well, I'm anxious to hear the new record. I was disappointed with some of their more recent tunes, I couldn't get into "I Disappear" and I really hated "No Leaf Clover."

To start with, I guess I'll ask this question:
    Weren't they working on a track with Ja Rule for some project?

and oh yeah, please bring on Robert Trujillo as the new bassist!

I'll explain that Ja Rule thing. Yes, it happened. But what happened was this: While James Hetfield was in the rehab for the back pain pills and alchohol, Kirk and Lars decided to continue recording new material. They did, and were approached by Swizz Beats about a project. They told him to listen to the music they had recorded, and Swizz did. Swizz picked stuff from two different songs and said goodbye to Kirk and Lars. Swizz uses those riffs and has Ja Rule record vocals for them. Well, about the time they are finishing up on this, James exits rehab and is asked to add some vocals to the song as well. He records two lines for the song, and that's it. So basically it was just Metallica giving out music for them to use, kind of like when DJ Spooky remixed For Whom the Bell Tolls or that remix of Until It Sleeps.

As for I Disappear, I don't know if they wrote that song when they were asked to or if they used material from the Load sessions. No Leaf Clover came straight from the Load sessions and they had it on tape, as they said in the S&M documentary.

Yeah! The topic is working.

I Disappear wasn't that bad, but I'd have made the verse line music roll a little more, and cut out that start-stop riff thing going that makes this song sort of play like "Sad But True" (a good song - but not to go with 'Disappear's' chorus lines). In any case, Disappear is neither bad, nor that great.

Garage Days has a lot of Metallica's best cover songs from other bands. I mean there are so many to go into that it's ridiculous to discuss them all in one post, but Bob Seger's "On the Road Again" is better than the original (depending upon my mood -as I have the Bob Seger greatest hits album too).

Electric has got to be a great one, too. And I love "Astronomy!"

Die My Darling... (oops. I said I wasn't going to list all these...)
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Who is their new bassist and when is the album due out?
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".

Ahhhh, metal....
    First, for some stupid reason I really like no leaf clover, but not the way I think I'm supposed to

The Garage re-revisited does indeed have some of their best work since And Justice... It's electric, Breadfan, Sabracadabra...

Oh, and to anyone who cares- with the affected, "metallica" pronounciation, in Die Die, it sounds like "don't cry tomatoe baby"- try it, you'll hate me for it!!!

I'm more of a classic NWOBHM fan.. just bought a cd copy of Iron Maidens "KILLERS" last week and have been rocking my face off ever since...
    Also recently added "HammerFall"s "Crimson Thunder"- any hammerfall fans here?? Just curious!!!

To make sure we stay on topic, when is the new Metallica due out?? If they can get back to basics, I could see picking it up...
    Something about him reminds me of my older brother, Rex.

As in the Queensryche thread, music threads are hard to keep on topic with the same band, heheheh.

I am looking to and would probably really enjoy some Iron Maiden and Judas Priest old stuff. It was a little before my time, as I started on rock with Def Leppard during the Pyromania days. I got into Whitesnake, Skidrow (a truly underrated band!), and Guns N Roses, before I got a taste for harder stuff (and more talented musicians).

Anyway, from the "Breaking the Law" days, and that song about the Indians "White man came....etc." I'd like your recommendations on old Priest and Maiden. Obviously they'd appeal if they were a big influence on Queensryche.

Oh, yeah - and no one forget this topic is about Metallica
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Originally posted by Tycho
    As in the Queensryche thread, music threads are hard to keep on topic with the same band, heheheh.

I am looking to and would probably really enjoy some Iron Maiden and Judas Priest old stuff. It was a little before my time, as I started on rock with Def Leppard during the Pyromania days. I got into Whitesnake, Skidrow (a truly underrated band!), and Guns N Roses, before I got a taste for harder stuff (and more talented musicians).

Anyway, from the "Breaking the Law" days, and that song about the Indians "White man came....etc." I'd like your recommendations on old Priest and Maiden. Obviously they'd appeal if they were a big influence on Queensryche.

Oh, yeah - and no one forget this topic is about Metallica
    Did you intentionally come in here to post off topic? You are a MOD, why don't you just make a Metal Thread?

I got hooked on Metallica right after And Justice For All came out. I like all their albums. I can't remember if it was the Load or Reload that I didn't like at first, but it eventually grew on me.
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".

Mentioning Maiden is cool by me in here. They're pioneers of this genre of music too. Uh, about those questions being asked:

The new album is going to be out late spring/early summer. Metallica is playing a lot of European festivals in June and July, so one would assume the album would be out then. Also, Bob Rock said they had a May 1st deadline, but he never clarified what that deadline meant.

As for their new bassist, no one knows who they picked. The only guys to have been auditioned that are known about are Scott Reeder, Rob Trujillo, and Twiggy Ramirez.

As for anything else I know about the album, this is the first time the album has actually been written by all of the members. Usually it's just Hetfield and Ulrich with the music, with Hetfield doing the lyrics. Now they're all writing the music and lyrics. From all of the videos I watched about it, this album seems to be the one they've taken a lot of care with. They want every song to be their best effort, instead of just writing a set amount of songs and including them all on the album. They said this is the first time they've actually thrown out songs that didn't meet their expectations. More as I remember it.

I cannot moderate anything that's not in a polls thread or 12" figure thread. Mods only have that ability in their section.

A thread combo for this and the Geoff Tate thread might work, but Geoff Tate's album review is a separate thing, and not really metal anyway.

I also don't know if I can, or how to, move threads. I think JediTricks alone does that. But this is DarArgol's section to mod. My recommendation is not to combine the threads, because for the few who care about Geoff Tate's CD (who might not be metal heads) won't know it's discussed in a thread mostly about harder rock bands.

I have always liked everything Metallica, but the 'on topic rule' just sort of gets by me here, when one band is similar, or influences, or opens a concert for, or appears in the same magazine with, or is played on the same radio station by, or is sold in the same record store as, or is purchased by the same customer by, or is found on the same person's music files as another band that's brought up.

This thread will mostly revolve around Metallica I'm sure.

-Harvester of Sorrow