Thread: Kingpin

Kingpin

After being beaten about the head for weeks with hype and critical acclaim, I finally got to see this new show tonight on NBC.
    The references to "Emmy award winning director of the Sopranos (Allen Coulter)" and the comparisons to a hybrid of "Traffic meets The Sopranos" were a little too much for me to take, but after actually watching the pilot I have to say that it was a good show.
    My initial reaction was not one of disappointment, as that could have been a likely outcome after all the hype.

I liked it and enjoyed it immensely. What intrigued me the most was the lead character of Miguel, played by Yancey Arias. I found him to be charismatic with a powerful screen presence. Beyond that, I'm just hoping that the series builds on the pilot and gets better. I'm curious to see in which directions it might go.

It's my understanding that NBC has 6 episodes total, with more to be filmed if these first shows are successful. We'll see on that, but I do very much like the idea of showing the second episode on Tuesday already. I'm definately aboard for another show (now if only I can remember to tape it on Tuesday while I'm at work ).

I couldn't get over how nasty Sheryl Lee looks. She was hot in Twin Peaks but now.....**shivers**

I guess the show was OK, but I kept thinking this was Traffic-lite. Maybe I'll stay with it if it doesn't get gory.
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

It's beena while since I've seen Cherly Lee, actually since Twin Peaks. Did she play Miguel's wife?

I enjoyed the show also. Was glad to see that the people got what was coming to them in the end. The son (name?) that was running the show was really out there.

I had assumed that Mig was going to turn the father on the boat over to the DEA.
    BAD needs: HK-50 torso, right arm and head
    YVH-1 head

Trusty traders / buyers/ sellers: Tycho, SK99, DarthChuckMC, minirock(X2), Lman316, Turbowars

Did anyone watch last night's show (2/4)? That voodoo spouting tough guy Manny was a crackup! I guess that bulletproof bone necklace his pistolero was wearing was defective. I hope it was still under warranty.

I also noticed that Poppy from Seinfeld played that Mexican general. I wonder if he washed his hands after dropping trou in front of Miguel.

One quick question: Who played Tio Beto (the head of La Corporacion)? He looks familiar but I can't pin down where I've seen him before.

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

I dunno, I have to disagree with you about Sheryl Lee being "nasty" . . .

I watched it last night and enjoyed it, I think I'll stay with this show for awhile.
    It was cool to see the maneuvering by the other family members because after Sunday's show I got the impression that Miguel and Marlene were immediately taking over - but I see now that the "suicide" of Uncle Jorge was only the first step.

The scene where the General dropped trou? Disgusting, and I'm bothered by the way they shot that scene.

Hmmm . . . yes Uncle Tio is VERY familiar and I couldn't place him either.

Kingpen is an awesome show. The guy who played tio Beto was in a movie with Harrison Ford. He was the Colombian drug lord in Clear and Present Danger i believe. I too plan on following this show.
    Good Traders/Sellers: Cameo, Darth Cruel, Sith Killer 99, JJReason, icatch9, ChasingJediDogma, AT-AT Man, JediMasterGuyute, Brainiak76, JangoFett96, njscollectibles, Vulcantouch, AC Pin, TheDarthVader, msjedi, DarthQuack, Roojay

Good episode tonight, but I felt for that dog at the end.
    Definately a 'Godfather moment.'

I really like the storyline for Agent Flores with her move to Houston. It seems that her experiences will not be intertwined with Miguel's cartel for awhile. Well, not until she gets off of that wire-tap translating job.

Oh, does anybody recognize the drug dealer to whom she pretended to be a singer? (I think the character's name is Truck - the same guy who is dealing with Dr. Klein)
    Anyway, that's the guy who played Eddie on Family Matters!

I knew Sean Young was going to be involved in the show as Klein's wife, it was good to finally see her if only for a brief scene.

Originally posted by Caesar
    Oh, does anybody recognize the drug dealer to whom she pretended to be a singer? (I think the character's name is Truck - the same guy who is dealing with Dr. Klein)
    Anyway, that's the guy who played Eddie on Family Matters!
    THAT'S where he's from. He looked familiar but I couldn't place his face. What a bad turn he's taken, being a drug dealer and all. I wonder what Urkel would say.

It seems that this miniseries is a godsend for all these out-of-work actors. We have:

Poppy from Seinfeld
    Laura Palmer from Twin Peaks
    Eddie from Family Matters
    Brian Benben from that dopey old HBO series
    Maria Conchita Alonso from Running Man

And what was up with that fruity English dude? "I want a girl with a proud as$."

Last night's show was disturbing, and I must say it's for the better.
    Since the beginning, I really liked the Miguel character (sure he's a drug dealer, but despite that he seemed likeable).

He was pretty brutal last night. First he shows his hypocrisy in dealing coke - he'll profit from the addictions of many people but when he catches his wife with it, the guy who supplied her is hauled off to his execution.

Especially brutal was the "removal" by Chato of the girl hired to spend time with the Englishman. Miguel showed some real compassion at first, but business interests won out so she had to go.

I did like the flashback to an earlier point in his life where he could not bring himself to kill a man. I guess his tolerance for murder has increased over time.

2 shows left, I'd like to see another run - be it a full season or just another miniseries.

Ceaser, any idea on if kingpin is done with or if they are going continue with it? I liked the show and even stopped watching NYPD blue just to follow it. But if it doesnt come back i wont be too suprised.
    Good Traders/Sellers: Cameo, Darth Cruel, Sith Killer 99, JJReason, icatch9, ChasingJediDogma, AT-AT Man, JediMasterGuyute, Brainiak76, JangoFett96, njscollectibles, Vulcantouch, AC Pin, TheDarthVader, msjedi, DarthQuack, Roojay