Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Best Acting Performance in a Star Wars Movie?

Star Wars has never been known for it's master thespians. That being said, which performance do you feel is the most powerful in any of the films? In my opinion the performance of the Ian McDermid as the Emperor is the most moving. To me he embodies everything that is evil.

Who do you think has the greatest performance in a Star Wars film?
    If you want to find it you have to shop.

Ugnaught number 3 has me in tears every time I watch ESB...

Well, McDiarmid would be my serious choice, I really like what he's done w/ Palpatine/Sidious in the prequels. I can't think of any other performance in SW that could be described as "powerful".

Except Bail Organa, my "joke" choice. He just seems so darned concerned about everything going on in AOTC, the 2 lines he has really draws me ino the crisis. Seriously, he's like the Captain Panaka of E2, every line he has is negative. He should really practice his rhetoric.
    Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis

I realize that there are a bunch of joke choices. From the mouse droid to ugnaught #3, but come on. These are 5 amazing movies with 100's of actors. Dozens of good characters. One of them has to be the best. So who?
    If you want to find it you have to shop.

Alec Guiness, I would have to say. Most of the acting in SW is just bad, but I don't blame the actors so much as they tend not to have much to work against with the bluescreens and everything.
    This announcement has been brought to you by a generous grant from the Ranting Jonna Foundation
    "Helping to improve your life through nonsensical ravings for over 35 years"

On the Bridge of my Super Star Destroyer... force-choking incompetent officers!
    Personally...I liked Vader the best. His lines are all cool...except the SE change (alert my star destroyer....zzzz). My favorite scene has got to be the:

"Join me and together we can rule the galaxy as father and son!"

Even though you can't see David Prowse's face...he is still acting under the costume...and that whole scene moves me everytime.

Both Mark Hamill and Sebastian Shaw:
    When Luke removes Vader's mask at the end of Jedi...that whole scene is calm, quiet...and very moving as well.
    "The darkside of the force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be...unnatural"

"Join me... and together we can rule the galaxy as father and son"

I thought Harrison Ford's Solo wasn't that bad.

Alec Guinness is magnificent, and Ian McDiarmid is also. Those two would be my first choices.

But what about the guy from A New Hope. . .
    "We've picked up a new group of signals. . . enemy fighters coming your way."

This guy has one line, and puts his whole heart into it. Looks at the camera with such concern, and evokes such feeling. One of the best acting performances in the whole saga. It moves me (to laughter) everytime I see it.
    Star Wars : The Arcade Game (Atari 2600) World Champion

I think it's a tie between Ian mcDiarmid and Sir Alec Guinness. i think both actors give 110% effor into their roles and are magnificent. They play their characters so believably that I sometimes thing Obi-Wan and Palpatine are real people.

PENDO!
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection

Ford, McDiarmid and Guiness are easy choices so I'll make a tough one. I like Mark Hamill although he seems to be the universal whipping boy in terms of acting in the original trilogy. His character was a 20 year old punk kid and he played it just so. Hamills performances look oscar worthy comared to the mile high dung that was heaped upon us in eps. I and II.

I must ad that Hamills perfomances as Luke on the NPR brodcasts made me reasess his acting abilities. I may have been influenced by them.
    Last edited by 12inch Lando; 02-04-2003 at 11:22 AM.
    -`,,``,,``
    Who are you?
    Why are you?
    What do you want?