Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Anakin's Father in Episode II!!!

I truly believe so, but first...
    I am confused with then new forums...where can I pick a picture to represent me??? The only choices I see are faces and thumbs. What's up with that???

Now for the goods!

Darth Vader means Dark Father. We all know that. Who named him that? More importantly, WHY?

It always meant that he was the dark father of Luke, and later we would learn of Leia too. Did he come up with the name Darth Vader? Was he proud that he was a dad, therefore he chose that handle? I think not.

I think when Ani makes the turn to the Dark Side, Palpatine/Sidious give him the title Darth Vader because of the revelation that Anakin HAS a dark father. A mysterious past. We will learn in Episode II that there was a father. Will it be Empire style, and Palpy say that he is Ani's Dad? Maybe. Or possibly a dying Shmi whispers to Anakin with her dying breathes to find his father. Could the father be a Dark Jedi, or one of the Lost 20? Someone of consequence, you would think.

Either way, the name Darth Vader will take greater meaning, and a reverse foreshadowing, in that it pays homage to Anakin's ancestry, not Luke and Leia's father.

That's my first post in these new forums, hopefully the coding doesn't screw it up too much! Way to be an innovator SSG!!! Now where's my facial icons?

the master jedi
    I've always thought of Darth as a Sith Lord title and the sith chose the second part of the name. I don't think that vader considers himself a dark father 'cause i don't think he knew he had kids until the ANH-RotJ era. I think Darth Vader means Dark Father because he's lukes evil father.

Darth is a Sith title, but I'm not sure if it was always intended to be so.

Vader sounds and looks a lot like vater , the German word for father, but GL said it's all just coincidence. Vader is taken from Invader and GL just liked the way it sounded.

As for the possibility of Anakin having a father, when Shmi claimed ther was no father the only explaination she gave was "I can't explain what happened." Does this mean that she doesn't know or has sworn not to tell?

If she's hiding something then maybe her rumoured death is more than just a random encounter with a Tusken Raider. Maybe it's arranged.

Or maybe I'm just too tired to think straight.

Rollo Tomasi
    HA! We all know Luke's grandfather was a midichlorian.

Yup. The immaculate conception theory is lamer than a hobbled horse. Shimi's race can actually produce offspring without conception, but when they do get frisky, it produces twins. Hence Luke and Leia, Jacen and Jaina...She didn't know this of course because she was a slave from such a young age and didn't know where she came from...it all goes back to the colonization of Tattooine. The Tusken Colonization Corporation landed a dozen or so huge Colonization transports "The Skywalker, The Darklighter, the Farlander, the Whitesun, the uhhhh...the...Lars (Okay so Cleigg was an immigrant) and bunches of others on Tatooine and set up Fort Tusken. The crews of the various craft were given last names of the ships they had come on in standard colonization practice. About the same time the Hutts realized the potential of Tatooine as a way station between trade routes and sent Jabba there to start slavery/smuggling enterprises there. Soon after, the indiginous sandpeople attacked Fort Tusken and Shimi's grandfather Kane Skywalker was killed in the attack and the sandpeople were given the name Tusken Raiders. Shimi's mother was taken as a slave and Shimi was born into slavery as was her son, Anakin. So there you have it, a perfectly logical explanation why Anakin has no father. Genetics.

Cool

Avatars, over 100 of them, can be found in your User Control Panel, under Edit Options. The yellow graphics are just for each individual post.

Here's what I wrote back in February on the possibility of meeting Anakin's Father:

Qui-Gon Jinn, a Jedi knight who doesn't always follow the code, learns about the prophecy of the son of suns and gets wrapped up in the concept of the boy who will bring balance to the Force. Qui-Gon does a lot of societal research about the galaxy - planets, customs, politics, etc. - and eventually zeroes in on the Outer Rim, then goes to Tatooine where he finds an unknown lass (Shmi) and decides to make a play to get her knocked up. Then the Jedi, in disguise, clouds her mind and beats a hasty retreat. Almost as soon as Qui-Gon returns to the Jedi order, he's given a new padawan learner, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and the teaching of this youngster the ways of the Force distracts Jinn from concentrating on his real son until he is sent to Naboo (Tatooine being in a straight line between Coruscant and this Naboo), where he sabotages the Queen's starship, let's his apprentice "find" Tatooine as a safe haven, and manipulates the situation to make sure he gets the ship to this planet and even parks the royal starship near the city where his slave woman was last. These actions cause his path to make a hard detour towards the dark side, and his ability to join with the Force at death is cut off by his self-serving deeds.

I don't think this is how it will be, but it's a possibility anyway, and seems kinda interesting to me. A slight twist on the "Luke, I am your father!" for Ep 2 or 3.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Very intriguing.

In this theory, what is the view of Yoda and the other Jedi? They are present at Qui-Gon's funeral pyre. What do they make of his non-disappearing act? Are their general feelings on the matter vindicated, or are they aware of his precise actions that led to his corruption?

Originally posted by Caesar
    In this theory, what is the view of Yoda and the other Jedi? They are present at Qui-Gon's funeral pyre. What do they make of his non-disappearing act? Are their general feelings on the matter vindicated, or are they aware of his precise actions that led to his corruption?
    Very good questions, I'm going to post my theories, but I think I'd like to hear yours as well.

I think Yoda and the others are dimly aware that Qui-Gon has performed some shenanigans to get the boy to where he is in front of the council, but I don't think they really understand how far Qui-Gon went. They accept his ways not fully following the code and are somewhat tolerant of his dabblings in what they feel are personal interest items, which is why they give him a new Padawan to train when he gets back, they know he's scheming and this type of thing will bring him shame. This shame and "corruption" of QGJ's spirit is what leads him away from the embrace of the Force upon his death, and while it is a sad day for the Jedi council, I don't think they're 100% surprised by his lack of becoming one with the Force.

Of course, in this theory, it's possible to see why Yoda and the others would feel somewhat responsible for not guiding QGJ back to the light side, and thus give in to his dying wish to let Obi-Wan train Anakin, nobody knowing that QGJ's actions and the Jedi Council's reactions really have created the very prophecy they feared and misinterpretted.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

If Qui-Gon was up to something, I don't think the story could work if the Council knew precisely what he was doing. We know from Obi-Wan in TPM that Qui-Gon is a maverick. My impression is that since they were already experienced in dealing with his actions, there must have been a proverbial groan when he brought an older boy before them. The selection process was very structured, and for a Jedi who's already on the fringe of normal behavior, well, it's no surprise that the boy he found is dangerous. If they knew how far he went, I think the Council's wisdom is little of what it's supposed to be.

I wonder what Yoda thought of Qui-Gon's hypothesis that Anakin might have been conceived by the midichlorians?

Yoda probably thought Qui-Gonn was a fool. I think the whole midichlorian idea was a simple theory, that many of the Jedi Council held little faith in, especially Yoda.