Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

No Original Release Versions of the OT on DVD

Check it here. Glad I have the Lasers even though I do not watch them as much as the S.E. Still can't wait to get the OT on DVD.

God, I hate Theforce.net. It takes forever to load the damn story over there. Not sure why, the banner loads fast but the rest of the site takes forever to finally appear. Here's the highlights, for those people on dial-up.

1.NO Special Editions for the Prequels… but he also did not count out adding in footage that existed we haven’t seen. Example: The Duel Lightsaber fight between Yoda and Dooku.

2. No Original Release versions (ala’ E.T DVD) on the OT DVD’s… The Special Editions are what he wanted the films to be originally, but time and money restraints way back when did not allow them to happen.

3. He said he has no old effects for the OT put away for the DVDs… but I would also imagine that does NOT included stuff that he won’t be fixing or adding to already shot scenes(Sandstorm from ROTJ or Biggs and Luke…etc)

4. Believes that at this point, they’ve accomplished everything that they need to Technology wise to complete the Prequels and doesn’t for see any “difficulties in the production”. What I got from that is, now all that’s left is to finish the story… tie it all together with The OT and make us all proud he actually made the Prequels.

Glad I kept my Laserdiscs as well. As long as he redoes some of the Special Effects for the upcoming S.E. DVD's I'll be happy. I'm sure he will, since the Archival Editions are almost a lock now from all the stuff coming from the Insider.

So may want to hang onto those current copies of the S.E. as well, since the new Special Editions/Archival Editions could be a different version from the 1997 S.E.'s. I wouldn't doubt it, especially with the crappy Jabba in ANH.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I think George is an absolute crackpot for not releasing theatrical editions on DVD. I would love them and would buy the original cuts as well as any super duper versions. I think it's a BAAAAD idea to just go with his 77/97/2007 (or whatever) continually updated versions.

That being said . . .

I JUST finished reading a rant by Bill Hunt of the Digital Bits about this topic and I think he's partly delusional as well. He's claiming that unless he can get the original cuts he won't buy any other version on DVD and he won't review them on the site. He admits that George "hinted" that we wouldn't get the originals ever again, but I distinctly recall hearing in 1995 that the THX release would be the LAST TIME to buy the original versions.

In all fairness, of course many people weren't really thinking about the HUGE explosion of DVD just down the road. Likewise, I do think it's warranted for people to plead for the original cuts on DVD . . . but at the same time, I don't want to see people going overboard in their reactions as if this were actually "news."

Bill Hunt can get really preachy when he feels he's been wronged by a movie studio. I love his site and check it Mon-Fri for new news. But sometimes you just have to roll your eyes at his occassional rants and scroll past them to get to the news. And yes, when the THX versions were released on VHS it was highly touted that it would be the last time to ever buy the original versions on Home Video.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Well, I've made some of those comments before, believe it or not, but all I really want are these films on DVD. I also check his site often for new news, and it's been a long while since I've talked to him, but I doubt he will want his site to be the only one not doing reviews on the SW:AE DVD's.

I'm sure George did know of DVD back when he made the SE's. He always seems up on stuff like this. I always believed when the OT:THX version came out that was the last time like it said, but you never know.....he may surprise us.

I don't see what the DVD's can't be released with both versions on them- like Stargate and Terminator 2 for example. Is it really that difficult? Nayhow, I don't mind not getting the Original version and having the SE. I have both on tape now- and watch the SE more. I like the scene with Jabba in ANH, I just wish Jabba looked better, but I'd rather have a crappy Jabba than not have that scene at all. The only one I don't like is the Greedo/Han showdown... But that's been discussed many times before.

=MATT=
    * General Disclaimer- I can't spell or type- Deal with it.

Originally posted by JarJarBinks
    Glad I kept my Laserdiscs as well. As long as he redoes some of the Special Effects for the upcoming S.E. DVD's I'll be happy. I'm sure he will, since the Archival Editions are almost a lock now from all the stuff coming from the Insider.

So may want to hang onto those current copies of the S.E. as well, since the new Special Editions/Archival Editions could be a different version from the 1997 S.E.'s. I wouldn't doubt it, especially with the crappy Jabba in ANH.
    Jar-Jar, I know you are seriously against piracy. But... LD players are pretty much extinct and some of us want the original OT. Also, LDs are subject to a phenomonon called Disc Rot over time.

I think that if George doesn't want to put out the unmodified OT we are perfectly justified in going to the black market for DVDs cut from the LDs. I should not have to plunk down bucks for an LD player just so I can enjoy the original versions, especially when the discs will go bad eventually anyway.

Of course I am going to buy the SEs. And I would be more than happy to pay for the originals as well. But if they aren't made available...

Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

I would love the OT in its theatrical version. It would of course be great, but I understand why GL won't put it out. He won't sell something that is incomplete or not as good as it could be. Many of us think the SE is dumb and the additions arn't so "Special", but what does it really take away from the story or the movies? The Jabba sceen is cool and makes us see the Hutt in a new light. Sure the FX aren't to good, but it was 1996 for pitty sake, it was pretty awsome back then. Without that Jabba we wouldn't have the Yoda everyone loves to see fight in AOTC. Plus, I'm sure that influenced the Gollum character in TTT.

I'd love to see as many version of Star Wars as possible (I'd hate paying for them, but I'd love watching them). You can't please all of the people all of the time. To me it seems that no matter what GL does fanboys will b-itch and moan about it. So why should he care ?
    If you want to find it you have to shop.

It doesn't bother me that the OT won't be on DVD. I have them on tape anyway. And if technology wouldn't allow it, we would never get ANY star wars film on dvd with such clarity and great sound. So I try to be thankful for the little things. You can still have the OT...only on tape. The SE aren't bad...I like them!
    One way to out think people is to make them think you think they'll think what you are not really trying to get them to think what you think.

Lately, Lucas seems to go out of his way to **** me off.

This is such a totally Lame thing to do to fans.
    Why must we always suffer his mistakes?

If it aint broke ---- don't fix it. Sometimes I wish Lucas had
    just left everything well enough alone. The prequals get worse
    and worse every time I watch them.

And now I'm stuck forever with Greedo firing first.

Pirate DVDs from Malaysia here I come . . .