Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Are these "Space Troopers"?

I know I've seen some kind of explanation for what these guys (in the attached photo) are, but can't find it anywhere. Does anyone have the official word on it? Are they specially outfitted "space stormtroopers" or just Stormtroopers who look a little different just because they are so small in frame? Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	space troopers.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	147.3 KB 
ID:	5176  

Cool!! Thanks Stillakid. I've been trying to find a decent picture of these guys for ages. I've never seen any official word as to their existance, but I noticed them along time ago. Most people I've heard, do refer to them as "SpaceTroopers".

And they do appear to be wearing larger backpacks, and I believe they also have hoses running from their helmet to their backpacks. See, this is what Hasbro should have put in the poll instead of the "SketchTrooper". Man, and people thought Ishi Tib was a obscure charecter.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I thought Space Troopers were an EU creation. Those look like Stormtroopers standing inside of the Magnetic Field. The starwars.com doesn't have anything about Space Troopers in the database.
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".

Originally posted by JarJarBinks
    Cool!! Thanks Stillakid. I've been trying to find a decent picture of these guys for ages. I've never seen any official word as to their existance, but I noticed them along time ago. Most people I've heard, do refer to them as "SpaceTroopers".

And they do appear to be wearing larger backpacks, and I believe they also have hoses running from their helmet to their backpacks. See, this is what Hasbro should have put in the poll instead of the "SketchTrooper". Man, and people thought Ishi Tib was a obscure charecter.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    You're welcome! I grabbed the still from my DVD copies of the OT (the one's available from various sources on EBay. Audio sucks, but at least I can get good stills.) It's all part of my "Definitive Collection" project that I mentioned a while back which I'm tentatively calling the "Progress Report." In any case, I'll keep digging around my stuff. There must be some storyboard sketch buried somewhere that explains these.

I just blew that part of the shot up a bit...

if you squint your eyes a bit, you get a slightly better sense of the detail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spacetroopers enlarged.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	5177  

They both are definatly wearing backpacks of some sort. Can't tell about the hoses, I would have to check my laserdiscs to see if I can see them better on there. Thanks for the blow-up.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

The backpacks are definitely bigger. So is the gaping hole where the helmet ends and the neck begins. Maybe this was the first and last use of this space suit design. Kinda like putting screen doors on a submarine.
    -`,,``,,``
    Who are you?
    Why are you?
    What do you want?

Yeah they're connecting by hoses, you can't see it very well but you can see excess black on the sides of one of the helmets. I'd guess they're just Stormtroopers with pressurized suits and the backpacks. We already know they have packs that can attach to adverage Stormtrooper armor from the Sandtroopers.

They probably don't all have their suits pressurized, considering Han and Luke's sets of armor didn't have any special head gloves and I heard theres a trooper on Bespin who gets his helmet knocked around his head. They're probably just pressurized and put with those air packs when they're on duty for something like that.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

I'm still digging around for something official, but in the meantime I got to wondering if maybe this Space Trooper from Heir to the Empire was based on the guys in the frame above.

Based on the frame itself, I'd venture to say that they just stuck a couple extras in the standard armor then put an arbitrary backpack and some pool hose on them for the shot knowing they'd be very small.

Just what the heck is the purpose of having a spacetrooper patroling the surface of the Death Star anyway? If they were maintainence guys welding somthing that would be one thing but... Just how many surface patrols does a space station that size requier anyway?
    -`,,``,,``
    Who are you?
    Why are you?
    What do you want?