Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Things that make you go hmm!

1. What are midichlorians & why were they not mentioned in the original trilogy?
    2. What was the motivation for the Tusken Raiders to keep Shimi Skywalker alive for a month before she finally died during Anakin’s rescue attempt?
    3. By the beginning of Episode IV, we know (or assume) that the only surviving Jedi are Obi-Wan and Yoda…Will we see the Jedi Younglings (the Bear Clan?) slaughtered as well?
    4. How did the Sith reemerge after 1000 years of absence? Why did it take that long if the opportunity was there?
    5. If Qui-Gon Jinn truly believed that Anakin was destine to bring balance to the force, then why did Qui-Gon cheat when Watto rolled the chance cube? (If it was meant to be, then so be it…but why cheat? That is not Jedi-like in my opinion)
    6. In what other ways had Qui-Gon Jinn defied the Jedi Council in the past?
    7. Why do some deceased Jedi appear as ghosts, while most do not? (This one has been covered many times…but it still makes me say “hum!”)
    8. Was the asteroid belt around Geonosis possibly the result of tests on a preliminary version of the Death Star’s primary weapon? (the asteroids being pieces of what was once a moon)
    9. Why don’t the Jedi create a DNA archive for cloning purposes…just in case something drastic was to happen?
    10. Why, of all Gungans, was Jar Jar Binks selected as a Senator (they knew he was a klutz…that is why he was banished from the “hidden city” to begin with)?
    11. Why is Mace Windu’s light saber purple? (I know that Samuel L. Jackson said he specifically requested purple…but please give me a break…George Lucas is very specific about what elements he wants in his story line…the purple saber blade must have some significance…what could it be?)
    Last edited by keith koth; 02-10-2003 at 06:48 PM.

Re: Things that make you go hmm!

Originally posted by keith koth

1. What are midichlorians & why were they not mentioned in the original trilogy?
    2. What was the motivation for the Tusken Raiders to keep Shimi Skywalker alive for a month before she finally died during Anakin’s rescue attempt?
    3. By the beginning of Episode IV, we know (or assume) that the only surviving Jedi are Obi-Wan and Yoda…Will we see the Jedi Younglings (the Bear Clan?) slaughtered as well?
    4. How did the Sith reemerge after 1000 years of absence? Why did it take that long if the opportunity was there?
    5. If Qui-Gon Jinn truly believed that Anakin was destine to bring balance to the force, then why did Qui-Gon cheat when Watto rolled the chance cube? (If it was meant to be, then so be it…but why cheat? That is not Jedi-like in my opinion)
    7. Why do some deceased Jedi appear as ghosts, while most do not? (This one has been covered many times…but it still makes me say “hum!”)
    8. Was the asteroid belt around Geonosis possibly the result of tests on a preliminary version of the Death Star’s primary weapon? (the asteroids being pieces of what was once a moon)
    9. Why don’t the Jedi create a DNA archive for cloning purposes…just in case something drastic was to happen?
    10. Why, of all Gungans, was Jar Jar Binks selected as a Senator (they knew he was a klutz…that is why he was banished from the “hidden city” to begin with)?
    11. Why is Mace Windu’s light saber purple? (I know that Samuel L. Jackson said he specifically requested purple…but please give me a break…George Lucas is very specific about what elements he wants in his story line…the purple saber blade must have some significance…what could it be?)
    ooh, can I, can I!!!!??!?!

Well, I read that the Tuskens like to test the physical endurance of their captives by seeing how long they survive torture. They also have their young participate as a "growing up" ritual of sorts. Sounds like some human cultures I know.
    Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis

1. A dream, a hoax, and an imaginary story. Did you notice Uncle George didn't mention them at all in AOTC?

2. In the novelization, her will to see Anakin keeps her alive during the torture. The Tuskens don't outright kill her, as they both admire this mysterious ability to survive and want to know what it is.

3. Kids dying in a kid-friendly movie? I doubt this.

4. Each Sith Lord has been slowly building upon the plans of his (or her) predecessor. . . not to mention plotting his own master's downfall.

5. Qui-Gon was not a very prim and proper Jedi. I have a feeling we'll learn more about this.

6. Can't say off the top of my head, though I know he had a girlfriend and leaned too heavily (in Yoda's opinion) on his theory of the Living Force.

7. We won't know for two more years.

8. I doubt it. The Death Star probably wasn't beyond the preliminary stages. If you go by EU, Raith Seinar had the idea, which Tarkin presented to Palpatine, who gave it to the Geonosians to design, who passed it to Dooku. . . and somehow Bevel Lemelisk and Qui Xux ended up finalizing the design.

9. I'm not sure what you mean. I got the impression the Jedi accepted the clones as a necessary evil, but weren't entirely in favor of the idea of cloning to begin with.

10. He was in the right place at the right time. Boss Nass thought the idea of teaming the Gungans and Naboo was his, and made him a general during the Battle of Naboo. From there, it's not too hard to imagine him being elected.

11. I'm not sure of the significance of the purple blade yet (somewhere between blue and red, maybe?), but it uses different crystals and thus has a different color blade.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Re: Things that make you go hmm!

Because, it's unncessiary info. If Anakin hadn't asked Qui-Gon about them, he wouldn't really know about them either. They seem to just be somthing in all living things that allow them access to the force. The higher the number, the more potentiel the student has for mastering the force. But the potentiel is useless without training. In the OT, Ben and Yoda already know that Luke is the son of Skywalker, so no need for them to test his levels or to discuss them with him.
    They were testing her, to see how well she could stand up to torture. Supposedly some sort of Tusken ritual. Only her strong willpower and desire to see her son, kept her alive thru all that. When she finally fulfilled that desire, her need to live was lost. That's why she finally lets herself die after Anakin rescues her.
    Since the movie is PG, I doubt will see the death of children. Best thing that we could see, is CloneTroopers walking into a room of frightened Jedi kiddies, and the door shut. Lucas could include blaster fire, to ensure that everyone knows they're dead.
    Darth Bain was supposedly the last living Sith Lord, and he followed the rule of one. So he would train an apprentice, and then in time the apprentice would find a student, and then the old Lord would have to die. Similar to Vader's discussion to Luke on the platform in Cloud City. As for why the long wait, they were probably waiting a long time, to put the Jedi more at ease. It wasn't until Sidious saw the oppertunaty to act, that he actually started his plans in motion.
    Perhaps he wanted to make sure, or he knew that Watto was trying to cheat with the cube. After all, it's Watto's cube, he could have had it weighted in his favor. It's not like the force is some all powerful being that is directing everything.
    He just seems to not agree with all of their choices, and is vocal in that disagreement. I'm sure it's more fleshed out in the EU, but that's not the point. Obi-Wan's words are meant to convey that Qui-Gon is a powerful and well respected Jedi, even though he's not exactly the traditional Jedi, when it comes to ideas.
    It appears to be a pair of things, though we may get a definative answer on what it is in EIII. It seems to be either having unfinished business, or being ready and prepared to die. Obi-Wan actually went into a meditative state, and let Vader cut him down. But since he still had to ensure that Luke was trained, he couldn't pass on to become one with the force. As for Yoda, I think he and Anakin only appeared, more as a reuinion type of thing. So that Luke would know they are at peace. Remeber Yoda's words, "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." We'll get a more definative answer in EIII, according to Lucas. But according to what we know from EII, no Jedi before Qui-Gon has actually not joined with the force upon their death.
    Probably not, all they had was the schematics at that point. I doubt that they have started building on it yet. The Asteroid belt is more likely just a natural one.
    The Jedi's don't really seem to believe in cloning. Also the EU has established that force powers, arn't somthing that can be cloned. Besides, cloning doesn't seem like an all that commen occurance in the Star Wars Universe, if the Kaminoans are the best known cloners and most people haven't heard of the planet.
    Because he's a war hero, if not for him and the rest of the people involved in the events of the Battle of Naboo, the planet would have likely remained in the hands of the Trade Federation. Klutz or not, if you remove Jar Jar from E1, things change drastically.
    It's as simple as that, Sam Jackson's favorite color is purple. And he likes it to appear associated with his charecters in every movie he does. So he asked Lucas, and Lucas said sure. As for why Mace has a different color, because he's the head of the Jedi Council. That's also why his lightsaber has electrum plating on the hilt.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

8. I doubt it. The Death Star probably wasn't beyond the preliminary stages. If you go by EU, Raith Seinar had the idea, which Tarkin presented to Palpatine, who gave it to the Geonosians to design, who passed it to Dooku. . . and somehow Bevel Lemelisk and Qui Xux ended up finalizing the design.
    Yes, I am aware that the Death Star was not beyond the preliminary stage, but what about it's primary weapon? Almost certainly, they must have developed the weapon before designing the "space station" (i.e., the Death Star) to house it.

Re: Re: Things that make you go hmm!

Perhaps he wanted to make sure, or he knew that Watto was trying to cheat with the cube. After all, it's Watto's cube, he could have had it weighted in his favor. It's not like the force is some all powerful being that is directing everything.
    If it was a Jedi prophecy...and Qui-Gon believed in that prophecy...then he would not have felt the need to cheat, because the prophecy would be fulfilled, regardless of Watto's desire to cheat.

Prophecy yes, but that doesn't mean things are going to happen for no reason. Just like Anakin had to enter the pod race, to get the money for the ship. If Anakin wouldn't have used his skills to win, the prophecy wouldn't have moved forward. Qui-Gon was just ensuring that what needed to happen, did.
    His chance cube is his prized possession. It is a gambling die weighed to always roll red. Many of his acquaintances know that he cheats, but there are still those who do not know that Watto makes much of his fortune by cheating his friends. Watto does not feel guilty for his actions, and he is certain they would do the same to him, given half a chance.
    MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Last edited by Beast; 02-10-2003 at 07:45 PM.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Prophecy yes, but that doesn't mean things are going to happen for no reason. Just like Anakin had to enter the pod race, to get the money for the ship. If Anakin wouldn't have used his skills to win, the prophecy wouldn't have moved forward. Qui-Gon was just ensuring that what needed to happen, did.
    Yes, but as I see it, the Jedi prophecy would have eventually been fulfilled anyway. That is the nature of prophecies (i.e., fate). I think Qui-Gon got greedy and tried to forceably apply the prophecy to the situation...what better way to get himself a seat on the JediCouncil than to present the council with the "chosen one".

Yes, but as I see it, the Jedi prophecy would have eventually been fulfilled anyway. That is the nature of prophecies (i.e., fate). I think Qui-Gon got greedy and tried to forceably apply the prophecy to the situation...what better way to get himself a seat on the JediCouncil than to present the council with the "chosen one".
    I never got the impression that Qui Gon cared to sit on the Council.
    ubi mel ibi apes