View Poll Results: When did you first start Collecting Star Wars?

Voters
604. You may not vote on this poll
  • In the 1970's (right after it all began)

305 50.50%
  • In the 1980's (Empire Strikes Back / ROTJ era)

90 14.90%
  • 1995 -1996 (at the start of the renaissance - red cards)

149 24.67%
  • During the release of the Classic Special Editions (green cards)

23 3.81%
  • with The Phantom Menace (2nd red card run)

23 3.81%
  • with The Power of the Jedi (2nd green card run)

3 0.50%
  • with Attack of the Clones (blue cards)

1 0.17%
  • other

10 1.66%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    In the summer of 1977 I was six years old and I will never forget seeing Star Wars for the first time.... My first figures were Luke and a Stormtrooper... I've been collecting ever since.
    Casual George

Summer of '78. I was six years old.

Initially received a Luke Skywalker which I treasured as an ewok mother would treasuer her cub.

My mother bought me Luke because the other figures had guns and she felt it would not be appropriate to buy a figure with a gun as it was sending children the wrong message.

After getting home that day I met a friend who wanted to go to the park. Unfortunately I decided to "show off" and on the way to the park we came across a street drain. Deciding to "show-off" and use my imagination I put Luke between the bars and pretended he was in a "trash compactor" scenario.

My friend watched as Luke valiently struggled between the bars and then suddenly plunged downward to be lost forever into the darkness of the London Ontario sewer system.

Knowing that I had lost this valiant farmboy forever I turned to my friend (whose name I have long forgotten - unlike my first action figure) and told him "I think I have to go home now".

We parted at the cursed sewer and as I walked home I began to cry passionatly as only a little boy who has lost his only important possession in life could cry.

My mother comforted me on my return and of course the only way she could get to stop wailing uncontrollably was to promise to purchase Chewbacca who of course had a gun and who I desired more than a Hutt desires t'wilek dancing girls in chains.

We purchased Chewbacca shortly thereafter and I vowed I would never lose a Star Wars again. I still have that original Chewbacca and all but a handful of figures mass produced since then.

Yes I probably should have been in therapy as I still have this desire to collect atleast one of every single figure produced. In any event Star Wars has consumed this young man who continues to seek forgiveness and acceptance by purchasing the "offspring" of that first ancestoral Luke Skywalker lost forever to the darkness and lonliness of the sewers.

I'm right up there with Tycho and Stillakid. Waaaaaaaay back in 1979 I got Artoo, Threepio, Chewie and a Stormtrooper for Christmas, and to this day they are sitting happily in my Darth Vader carrying case.

Ever since then I've been hooked, and have nearly picked up all the Vintage line stuff. The Artoo is still my favorite figure and was played with the most. Of course back then, figures were anywhere between 1 and 2 dollars! We used to fill up the car with 20$ worth of toys! Now $20 is a nice downpayment on either a large vehicle, or something i really want on eBay - ah inflation

The funny thing is that I remember in 1986 when the Kenner line was on its deathbed, and thought that this was the end. If there was anything else I wanted, I'd have to go to private collectors. I remember a dealer who was selling Vintage toys back then, and was asking a whopping $250 for a mint 12" IG-88, and that was like a fortune to me! Heh, if i only knew then what I know now.....

Not to get off track here, but I kind of enjoyed hunting for those figures a lot more than the newer lines because there were no major variations, or store exclusives (except some playsets). Everything was evenly distributed and it was no problem finding all your favorite things, either the "popular" human characters, or the non-human characters. The only major reget I have, and still remember is one day i was at Toys R Us, and there was a whole shelf of Ewoks and Droids figures. There were two or three Droids Boba Fetts there, and I was like "Nah, I already have him from ESB" GAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!
    "If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves." Thomas A. Edison

I had to go with 80's. I am too young to have been around for SW, but not EBS. So my first figure was Yoda. Having begged my parents for months for any SW toys, my grandma got him as a gift on one of her visits (aren't grandparents great). From there I ended up with about 40 figures, a few playsets and one vehicle. But to me these were just toys, toys that I never got rid of, but just toys.

That changed in '94 went I found there was a market for vintage SW toys and I could buy stuff I didn't get as a kid. From this point on I'd consider myself a collector. And I've been collecting since.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

I started late
    I was 8 i think and it was around 95. thats when I got my first star wars figure, Darth vader long saber on a RC
    then I needed more so I got a At St, Han, leia, a stormie and boba fett.
    man, those were good times.
    I got a ton of stuff for my following birthday too.
    now it's been a desease ever since.
    TK421, why are you not at your post? TK421 do you copy?
    great traders:
    Jonboy, lowly bantha cleaner,
    Forhekset

Well I'm 27 and I guess that would have made me 3 when ANH was released. I saw it at my Grandparents house on "ON TV", it was some huge cable box with an on and off switch, kind a funny now. Anyways, I never had any of the vintage toys, but a R2. My gig was GI-Joe and Transformers, but I loved SW with all my heart (I know, I know). I started collecting the POTF2 back in 95. I went to a TRU for a b-day gift and right next to TRU was a collectors store. I looked to my right and I saw a Vader and R2 on some pegs. My heart skipped a beat and I asked, when did these come on? The scalper told me they just came out. I ran back it to TRU and there was nothing. I got a early taste of the hobby. Later that week I walked into KB and bought my 1st OC figures (there Orange, not RED) I believe it was Chewy and C-3PO? But now that I have over a 1000 carded figures I have no Idea. Well thats it.
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

I started in '95. For most of my life I hated Star Wars because my mom told me they had demons and evil creaters in it. Over time a few of my friends were playing with figures and I took a interest. I finally decided to get in it completley and bought some figures. My first figure was the AT-ST driver. he was so cool. I have him standing on my bookshelf right now here in Hawaii. He's still my favorite. When I joined the army I was able to convince my mom to keep up with my collection because its hard and expensive to buy some figures in other countries. I guess she felt sorry for me. I now have some six hundred figures and thirty eight ships.
    [FONT="Times New Roman"]"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.[/FONT]

I was getting the toys from the OT back in the 80s but was limited to my parents getting them for me. So I didn't officially restart until 1999. My first fig was Boba Fett.

Originally posted by chrisc
    I started in '95. For most of my life I hated Star Wars because my mom told me they had demons and evil creaters in it.
    Yes we share a similar history except I loved SW. I had the same problem with my dad. He made my mom take back a bunch of figs from ROTJ because he thought they looked like "little hairy demons" reffering to the Ewoks.
    Last edited by scruffziller; 02-11-2003 at 12:37 PM.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

Man you're asking me to dig my memory banks. I was about 4 or 5 when I got my first figures. They were Luke X-wing Pilot, Ben Kenobi, Chewbacca, and Greedo. I got the toys before my parents took me to see the movie. I stopped collecting probably around 86 and started again when the new ones came out in 95 like everyone else most likely.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

My first star wars figure was han solo in stormtrooper disguise.
    It was a kelloggs promotion.
    I started collecting in 1995.
    I decided to come and rescue you.
    Anakin To Obi-Wan
    AOTC