View Poll Results: When did you first start Collecting Star Wars?

Voters
604. You may not vote on this poll
  • In the 1970's (right after it all began)

305 50.50%
  • In the 1980's (Empire Strikes Back / ROTJ era)

90 14.90%
  • 1995 -1996 (at the start of the renaissance - red cards)

149 24.67%
  • During the release of the Classic Special Editions (green cards)

23 3.81%
  • with The Phantom Menace (2nd red card run)

23 3.81%
  • with The Power of the Jedi (2nd green card run)

3 0.50%
  • with Attack of the Clones (blue cards)

1 0.17%
  • other

10 1.66%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

When did you first start Collecting Star Wars?

Tell us about when YOU first started collecting Star Wars.

How old were you?

What got you started? Did you get a toy first, or see one of the movies?

Which toy(s) were your first?

(I got carded R2, Stormtrooper, and Chewie in 1978 and played with them on the couch when I was just barely "Ages 4 & Up." - and yeah - "the stormtrooper thing" started then, though I only had 4 in my vintage collection back then ) - and the landspeeder was my first vehicle! (Yee-haw! It was makin' RoadKill Jawa time! - and getting the Tusken Raider kicked butt too!)

So how has it gone on since then?

Let's chat about the good old days - or even yesterday for some of you!
    Last edited by Tycho; 02-10-2003 at 10:59 PM.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

My first...

...action figure was Artoo. For some reason I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday, but I distinctly recall walking into KMart when I was a mere 8 years old and seeing a bunch of Star Wars figures hanging on pegs right next to the doors. Of course I begged mom for one. She pointed at R2 and said, "He's cute," so we took him home.

Now, some 900 or so figures later (plus a bunch of vehicles, playsets, and other Star Wars stuff) I'm still at it.

See How Many Do You Have? for more (yet slightly dated) detail.

I voted with the ATOC...
    Although I have two older brothers who had a lot of vintage stuff, and I played with that for most of my younger years, and I only got one of the vintage figures myself in a KB in the Monmouth Mall - Ree Yees.
    Shortly after ATOC came out, I decided to get a sneak preview Jango for my girlfriend, who's similarily into the movies. I had it on my desk at school for most of a week, and I really wanted to open it up and play with it a little. So later that week, I went out and picked up Jango Kamino Escape. Then at the end of the week, the C-3PO. And it went on from there.

In the 1970's (right after it all began).

I was 4 in 1977, I don't remember exactly which I got first. It was probably Luke, Ben, Vader, R2, C-3PO, and a Stormtrooper. I do remember getting the Death Star playset and an X-Wing for Christmas. I kind of quit getting the toys somewhere around ROTJ. My collection was mostly 3 3/4", but I did have the 12" Boba Fett. The majority of my vintage collection is gone.

I started again in 1995 when the POTF2 figures came out. I've stuck with the 3 3/4" figures, but I some Micromachines and Legos (and the 12" Pondo Baba that my wife bought me "because it was on clearance" ).
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".

I forget exactly when it was I started playing w/ the toys, don't even remember what the first one was...

At the time I was really close friends w/ a kid in the next town and we hung out every weekend together, vacationed together... So I didn't have a lot of toys. In '78 or '79 my brother and I got those 2 ft tall Shogun Wariors. I think SW came that year on my B-day. I ended up getting the DS playset, Falcon, Imp Attack Base, Troop Carrier, AT-AT (had to really beg for that one), Snowspeeder (which was actually my bro's- him being a year older he grew out of toys before me so I "inherited" it), Turret. I remember saving my allowance and buying Kiss albums at JCP and SW figs at Kresge's.

I eventually ended up commandeering a corner of the living room to set up my SW fort. I would play w/ them for hours. The AT-AT and Falcon were my fav's.

I ended up growing out of them in the 7th grade, 12-13 years old. Boxed up everything and put it in the attic until I moved out.

I got back into collecting SW in '95 w/ the new line and the Illusive Original Yoda, and the rest is history...
    BAD needs: HK-50 torso, right arm and head
    YVH-1 head

Trusty traders / buyers/ sellers: Tycho, SK99, DarthChuckMC, minirock(X2), Lman316, Turbowars

In the 1970's (right after it all began)

I've been collecting since 1977-78, so that's about 26 years. I was seven when I first started collecting.
    THANKS FOR THE AT-TE & FALCON HASBRO. NOW IT'S TIME FOR A LARGE TANTIVE IV!

I began in 1979, when my parents bought me my first figures. I was a litlle young then at 3-4, but eventually I collected them all loose within a few years and played with them ofcourse! I still have them though. Then I started collecting them carded at the end of 1995 with the orange cards..sorry I hate calling them red cards. As for now I am still at it but I like vintage still the best. The POTJ line was impressive though.
    I support the U S A

1995 -1996 (at the start of the renaissance - red cards)

I was just born when ROTJ was in Theaters, so I couldn't start any earlier than I did.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

I started in 1977. I remember my first figures were R2, 3PO, and Chewbacca.

My first vehicle was the landspeeder.

All of which are still in nice condition, being that I used to play with them daily!
    May the force be with You!!!!!

I remember coming out of the theatre at age 12 after seeing Star Wars for the first time. I thought they had actually shot the film in space with the X-wings and the TIE fighters.

My first toy that I can recall, was actually a Star Wars puzzle. I remember it being the shot of Han and Chewbacca pointing their weapons as they were blasting at Imperial troops.

My collection really started to come around, when they rereleased the films in the SE format. And now there isn't a room in my place that doesn't have some Star Wars toy or poster in it.
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!