Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Till the end of the world!

Is anyone else concerned about the possibility of nuclear weapons being used near them? It seems as though every day the immediate future is looking bleaker (just check any news site). I have a slight tendency to become paranoid about things, but lately I am beginning to wonder if my worries are not unfounded. Am I the only one?
    This announcement has been brought to you by a generous grant from the Ranting Jonna Foundation
    "Helping to improve your life through nonsensical ravings for over 35 years"

I do not feel a threat, as I live in a rather rural area and...well...I can't really think of any reason why anyone would bomb my area. Suitcase bombs seem to pose a minimal threat to my area, and long range weapons...Do the "Evil" countries even have Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles? I thought they were all short range, for use on neighboring countries. Anyway, I try not to worry about things like that. If it's going to happen, it's going to happen, and worrying will not change anything (Except making yourself feel stressed out). That's really why I don't fear death either, if it is going to happen, it's going to happen whether or not you worry about it. Fearing a painful method of death, now that's another story...
    "Ohnomyfriendthisisamistakeaterriblemistaketheyhav egonetoofarthisismadness!" -Count Dooku, AOTC

Re: Till the end of the world!

Originally posted by The Ghost of Jonna
    Is anyone else concerned about the possibility of nuclear weapons being used near them? It seems as though every day the immediate future is looking bleaker (just check any news site). I have a slight tendency to become paranoid about things, but lately I am beginning to wonder if my worries are not unfounded. Am I the only one?
    What's to worry about? If it happens, then those in the vicinity are gone. But the possibility is so remote that it does very little good to dwell on it. If it bothers someone that much, then they could take steps to move out into the countryside somewhere.

It's like thinking about plane crashes. Just look up the next time one flies over. Waayyyy over. They are damned high. If anything went wrong, that's a long time for you to realize it until the ground ends that train of thought. But we still fly around knowing that it's a possibility.

Of course, we should do everything possible to avoid any catastrophe, but in the end, accidents (and terrorists) exist. Just an unfortunate part of life we have to accept and deal with.

I would imagine that insurance companies are a little worried but I don't worry about it. I tend towards living by the hour anyway. make no long term plans. I wake up and see what the day brings. Living close to docks and under the flight path of incoming and outgoing planes I just leave thoughts about my demise alone. Nuclear winter would affect us all and until such time as it happens i'll carry on as normal and not give in to seige mentality, no bunkers, no stockpiling of supplies, no illicitly bought firearms and ammo. We've been living with the threat of terrorism from the IRA for so long now we've got used to the bomb scares and evacuation procedures and it's just part of life. Admittedly since the supposed ceasefire we've sort of got out of the habit but now i suppose those old enough to remember it all will simply fall back into the habit of being wary by nature. Vigilant for stray baggage on railway platforms and in stores etc. You just get so used to seeing notices about all that sort of stuff. I'm more wooried about being mugged by some snot nosed kid with a gun for a few coins to get themselves a fix of crack. Guns crimes are on the up here so that's far more immediate. Another reason not to make long term plans. It's always a consideration when going about my life but not one that weighs on my mind. I just accept that it's a fact of life.
    I don't want any war. I find all this presenting of 'evidence' highly suspect and it all seems far too convenient that it arrives just at the right time when pressure is wanted by a warmonger. In the same way that it's seemingly so easy to pick off terrorism suspects at the drop of a hat just when it's convenient to do so for rallying purposes. If it's so easy to pick them off then how come they've not been picked off beforehand? If government intelligence can miraculously produce these fellows then they've had the evidence for a long time. in which case the whole thing is far too engineered and must have been planned for a long time too.
    It's just annoying now. So i'm not going to sweat it and not going to lose any sleep over it. I have far more pressing and important things going on in my own home town. Should Bush go to war then so be it. He's just asking for trouble and he'll get it.

well, as long as you have your flashlights, water, diapers, spare car keys, plastic sheeting and duct tape, you're okay!
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope

oh, and i forgot... duck and cover. you can't forget the duck and cover...
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope

Every generation has it's different "enemy countries" to deal with. From Britain to ourselves to Germany to Japan and Italy to the USSR and Iran to Libya to Iraq to al Queda and North Korea, with many others in between, it's always been a fact of life for the USA. There's not much use in pondering it I guess, although I have to worry about it to a certain degree. However I would never let anything like that change my life on a daily basis. Hell, I live in San Diego, and according to todays reports, N. Korea could hit San Diego. But I pay it little mind after I'm finished reading such things. The media really gets off on scaring us, but in reality, you have a MUCH greater chance of dying driving home each evening than being killed by a terrorist.

Oh, and don't forget, our enemy of the FUTURE - China.
    "Whatever you do, take care of your shoes."

I prefer the term 'disenchanted aggressor' Enemy is so.... brutal.

Well, I live in northern New Jersey and I am being constantly bombarded, by the media, with procedures on how to protect yourself against radiation from a fallout. I went to Walmart last night and just happen to check out the section with the water, duct tape and plastic sheets. Completely barren! Now I know that people tend to panic when warnings are in the media (remember the end of 1999), but why has the US, practically over nite, come out with all these warnings and precausionary actions (surrounding DC with anti-aircraft rockets). I can't help but to think that there is much more to this story than the public is being informed of.
    This announcement has been brought to you by a generous grant from the Ranting Jonna Foundation
    "Helping to improve your life through nonsensical ravings for over 35 years"

I find it odd that in the UK they have armed military at airports. Like the only way a terrorist knows to kill people is with a plane? I would have thought the best way would be to use what's known as sleepers. People who live a long time in the community and hold positions of honour and respect like store keepers and council members and mayors and such. They live in our midst and when the signal comes they strap a bomb to themselves and go into a crowded area such as a subway station or shopping mall and boom! Or they pick up a gun and just walk out and shoot as many people as they can. Just because the war is centered on the middle east doesn't mean that terrorism will come from those parts of the world. Sympathisers are just as likely to strike too. Looking at it the way the governments are is far too black and white. Terrorism comes from that large fuzzy grey area in between. If a government knows of a particular faction that are plotting then i say that faction are at war. They make their intentions known and give warning of a likely attack to publicise their war. The ones that don't publicise and just act are the ones who slip the net because they give no outward sign of being involved in any way. That's where the terror comes from.

The greatest threat is from within our homelands. from within our communities. from within our neighbourhoods.

Trust no-one, make no plans.....