Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eyeglasses

Eyeglasses

Well, recently i noticed that i was having trouble seeing stuff clearly. Like having to hold the tv mag up to my face so i could read the print. I always had really good vision, 20:20 apparently with a slight tendency towards short sightedness which i had reading glasses for. But the reading glasses weren't making a difference so off to the opticians i go and get an eye test and discover that i have a stigmatism in my left eye and I'll have to wear glasses on a permanent basis.

Nothing wrong with that is there.

Well, i thought i was okay with it, after all since getting the glasses it's cured my migraine headaches totally. I can now see stuff clearer than i ever could. Crystal clarity is such a blast. But, and there's bound to be a but in a thread like this, I find myself feeling incredibly self conscious of how people percieve me now. I feel like people are staring at me and thinking I'm somehow impaired and faulty goods. That I'm ugly.
    All totally irrational notions i know but i feel them all the same. I'm finding this permanent glasses wearer thing a little hard to swallow. My eye glasses are really small because i wanted something that wouldn't stand out, something that was more the size of my eyes and blended in. I would have gone for contact lenses but they're far too expensive and i have a morbid fear of anything going near my eyes. I'm having difficulty with the arms of the glasses because they show in my peripheral vision. It's driving me nuts. These things changed the face that i present to others and i'm not sure I can deal with that.

I was wondering after all that pre-amble whether anyone else had similar problems adjusting if they had to start wearing glasses later in their life. Do people who wear them all the time get the 'ugly' paranoia too? Am i just being insanely paranoid and self obsessive and vain?

You aren't being vain at all, I am in high school and I know exactly how you feel. I got my glasses when I was about 9, and I have hated how I look ever since. I figured since I hated myself, other people would too. So just recently I have decided to only wear them when I need to see something. I see well enough to get around and stuff. I couldn't stand thinking I was so ugly and everything, I already have major self-confidence problems. I stay away from pretty much everyone because I am so worried about what they will think about me. And everyone knows how utterly shallow people are in their teens... And a rather sickening revelation has come to me recently-More people have started talking to me (More girls, too, which hardly ever happened) since I stopped wearing them full time. That's good, right? No. Not at all. I have discovered how disgustingly shallow these people are, and how girls (Not all of them, don't be offended, but all of them at my school) really do not give a **** about personality at all. That is why I have still never had a girlfriend, and I doubt if I ever will. I consider myself a fairly pleasant person to be around when people are willing to be...decent. Do they give a damn about that? Heh, I wish. I get sick every time I think about the shallowness. I am truly starting to hate people and the way they are. My teachers also noticed that I have become more introverted. The only person I can trust 100% is myself, and I am starting to wonder if that is even true. Thank God for these Forums, they are really the only place where people are really willing to listen to what others have to say. (And the only place where people are willing to listen to rants like this and not get angry at the person doing the ranting). You know, sometimes I wish everyone in this world was blind, that way people would have no basis for judgement except for personality...Well, you've heard my rant. Sorry about all of that, I had to get it off of my chest somehow, it was really starting to build up. The simple answer is, Jargo, you aren't alone.
    "Ohnomyfriendthisisamistakeaterriblemistaketheyhav egonetoofarthisismadness!" -Count Dooku, AOTC

Re: Eyeglasses

Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
    Crystal clarity is such a blast.
    I remember the first time I had that feeling. I was looking at trees from a distance and I was amazed at the detail I could see from far away.

I wish I could give you some insight about getting used to glasses later in life, but I've been wearing mine since I was 10, but I had them 2 years prior and refused to ever wear them for fear of what others may think.

Do people who wear them all the time get the 'ugly' paranoia too? Am i just being insanely paranoid and self obsessive and vain?
    I don't get that paranoia anymore, and I don't know any person that wears glasses all the time that does. It's probably a normal feeling to think those things when you first start wearing glasses, no matter the age.

Can I ask a question, though. This paranoia you have about people thinking you might look ugly with glasses. Do you feel that everyone who sees you might think that, or is it just the people you know that you fear might think that? I never thought what people who didn't see me would think I was ugly, but I feared the people I actually saw everyday might think it. As an adult now, I don't know why any other adult would even think a person who starts wearing glasses is ugly. To me, it was just something you had to get used to. It was like the time I grew long hair, and then cut it all off. It's just something that people might take notice too at first, but once the new/shock look is there everyday, I don't think any person would even give a damn about your glasses and how they might make you look.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

Jeez . . . now I feel ugly . . . and depressed . . . Completely depressing.

Honestly, I never thought about those things when I got glasses, and I've had them since I was a rather young lad.

The only thing that bugged me was the peripheral vision, it did take some getting used to. It irked the hell out of me that everything was crystal clear looking forward, but shift my gaze to the side and it was a blur.

It happened again a few years ago when I got even smaller glasses, so I had to readjust again. Now I'm quite fine with it, I think I made up for a lack of peripheral by being more alert in turning my head slightly.

Jargo - if anything I'd bet those spectacles make you look smarter. No worries about the appearance, old bean!

Darth Sidious - hang in there. As you move on from high school, you'll meet people who are even worse than what you describe now. Yet, you'll find yourself in a larger world, so your experiences will be of greater varieties. Keep being pleasant (as you described yourself) and you'll find the rest of the pleasant ones.
    As far as the shallow girls, it really sucks. Keep in mind that there's lots of pressure on them too; I bet some of those girls feel the same pressures and react by changing and adapting to meet the same social standards they fear. The girls might feel the same expectations coming from some boys.
    I hope what I just typed makes sense . . .

My eyeglasses actually make me look more distinguished and I have noticed that it gives an aura of purpose now and the ladies seem to be flocking more so now.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

Yes, some people do look good with glasses. But some, like me, don't. It might also have something to do with my being one of the most intelligent people in the school and everything (Not trying to brag, I'm just saying people have noticed that), and it makes me seem kind of..."Nerdy". By the way, thanks for the support Caesar.
    "Ohnomyfriendthisisamistakeaterriblemistaketheyhav egonetoofarthisismadness!" -Count Dooku, AOTC

Eyeglasses are cool.

Who cares what other people think.
    "Whatever you do, take care of your shoes."

*runs in and laughs at all the four eyes in here, and then runs out, so as not to recieve a hiney kicking*

Just kidding guys......still, Jargo......if you are feeling that insecure about it, why not try contacts??

Re: Eyeglasses

I feel like people are staring at me and thinking I'm somehow impaired and faulty goods. That I'm ugly.
    Maybe they're staring at you because you look very nice in your new eyeglasses.
    Huh? Didn't think about that one did you?
    Maybe they're all jealous and wish they could look as good as you.

Maybe it doesn't matter what people are thinking.

What does matter is finding glasses that you feel comfortable with and that make you see better. That's a pretty tough thing to do really. I found out in college (around a decade ago) that I had a slight astigmatism (I think "stigmatism" means you bleed from your eyes ... if that's your problem then I understand why the people are staring at you.) My problem is minor and frankly I could and have lived without glasses ... but recently I found some that I really like, are very comfortable and have become a part of my face. New and improved face for 2003.

You can even have more than one pair or have them slightly tinted ... c'mon it's cool!

You work for an optician dontcha. Oh I know some people might look and think I look okay in these new windows. maybe I picked exactly the right pair already and that's it. Maybe I picked exactly the pair that reminds people of their dead Grandad. I should also say the the bottom rim of the glasses frame gets in the way of my line of sight and I keep tripping over things, especially the dog. Before, I bumped into things but now I just fall over.

Yeah, after I typed that first post I realised I'd got that astigmatism thing wrong. Too lazy to change it. Stigmata is the bleeding thing and a stigma is a perception permanently associated with someone or something or some way of behaviour or 'being'. So hmmmmmm, I have astigmatism which means I wear glasses which carry a stigma.
    Well my paranoia was componded today when my mother said I looked 'nice' in my glasses. Instant credibility deflator. I was starting to feel a bit better after reading the responses in here but then she went and burst my happy bubble. If she says she likes something then it's dul and ugly and frumpy and dumpy and bad and sad and antwacky and useless and horrible. Everything she likes is vile. So that just made my day really. Turned 35, having something of a thirty something crisis time and mother says i look nice in glasses and suddenly I feel about a hundred tmes worse.

Why can't mothers just keep their gobs shut?

more than one pair of specs - I'm going to have to get a pair of prescription sunglasses because otherwise if I put my ordinary pair on I won't be able to see. I take the specs off and everything is much more blurred than before. No sense in straining my eyes with non corrective sunglasses now. Or I could get a pair of those clip on flip up sunshades like old men have.

I guess I'll get used to them but I suppose the point is that I don't want to have to. I guess i'm just resisting fate.