Page 30 of 180 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080130 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue2th View Post
    I am still mostly listening to the Grays: "Ro Sham Bo" (their hit was "Very Best Years") I can't believe I missed these guys in 94. A friend of mine turned me on to them. They only had one album. This is the best "alternative" CD I have ever heard. Very few bands of that era have the vocal and instrument talent of these guys. And no one recently except for maybe Queens of the Stone Age. Every song is great. With former Jellyfish member Jason Falkner and Jon Brion who now writes film scores (Magnolia, I heart Huckabees etc.) To catagorize it I would say it's psychadelic Beatles influenced alternative with a more modern sound. Now I have been trying out CD's from these guys solo carreers. I must say Jason Falkner's work is outstanding on his own. Jason Falkner: "Can You Still Feel" is one I'm very glad I bought. You can hear how heavily he infunced the Grays sound. Got "Author Unknown" on the way.
    I'll back you up on this. Definately a good CD. I loved Jellyfish and was really ticked when they broke up. I never saw Jellyfish but I did get to see the Grays and Imperial Drag (another Jellyfish offspring if you haven't checked it out). I never got into the solo careers. I picked up one of Faulkner's album and didn't care for it much at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds View Post
    Aerosmith and Motley Crue tonight (w/ Caesar)!
    I may catch this show when they come to town, but since I don't like going to concerts alone and none of my friends want to go I will have to drag my girlfriend. She likes Aerosmith ok but Crue is not very big on her list and stunt like bringing out topless dancers the last time we saw them doesn't help my case.
    More is more. Less is less, Twice as much is good too,
    Too much is never enough except when it's just about right.
    People who have helped me out: DarthChuckMc, msjedi, bobafett07728, jjreason, dr_evazan22

No topless dancers last night... although they were rather scantily clad. Motley was ok, actually Motley was pretty good EXCEPT Vince. I guess the man has no shame since he is fine with "singing" like that. As for the 'smith, great great great!

Quote Originally Posted by dindae View Post
    I'll back you up on this. Definately a good CD. I loved Jellyfish and was really ticked when they broke up. I never saw Jellyfish but I did get to see the Grays and Imperial Drag (another Jellyfish offspring if you haven't checked it out). I never got into the solo careers. I picked up one of Faulkner's album and didn't care for it much at the time.
    Jellyfish "Bellybutton" is excellent!........You actually saw the Grays? What a rare privilege! Their solo careers don't measure up to that wonderful and only album. The only work that even comes close so far is Jason Falkner "Can You Still Feel" All the other stuff including "Author Unknown" doesn't have the striking melodies/harmonies of "Ro Sham Bo.".... I've heard good things about Imperial Drag. I'll have my friend burn me a CD of them........Another good band from that era is DaDa. Just found "Puzzle" in the used bin at Hastings. Dizzneeland is the hit, but the rest of the album is even better. Not many "Alternative" bands now compare to those bands of the nineties as I've said.... Most of the overplayed-run into the ground "Classic" rock bands I used to listen to (and play in bands) just bore me to tears anymore. I have to go back and dig deep to find stuff I haven't heard a million times. Some of the old Blue Oyster Cult, Wishbone Ash, Early Alice Cooper (pre-solo career) Genesis (pre-fat-head-Phil Collins, post- Peter Gabriel) stuff with Steve Hackett (guitar) is excellent.

i guess only Master Guyate might appreciate this but i went to see Sufjan Stevens tonight and it was the greatest concert i've ever been to. even better than all the times i've seen Sigur Ros. even better the 6 times i've seen Radiohead (i was even in the pit for one of those. it was as if i had died and gone to heaven and not wanting it to end. that's how good it was!!!

Quote Originally Posted by figrin bran View Post
    i guess only Master Guyate might appreciate this but i went to see Sufjan Stevens tonight and it was the greatest concert i've ever been to. even better than all the times i've seen Sigur Ros. even better the 6 times i've seen Radiohead (i was even in the pit for one of those. it was as if i had died and gone to heaven and not wanting it to end. that's how good it was!!!
    Woah woah woah, i'm sure he puts on a great show, but better than Sigur Ros?!?!?!? I can't believe that. Still, i'm sure it was a great show. How many times have you seen Sigur Ros live anyway? My total stands at seven, four of which in Feb and May. Lots o' traveling. and better than Radiohead?!??! C'mon now!
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

Quote Originally Posted by Blue2th View Post
    Another good band from that era is DaDa. Just found "Puzzle" in the used bin at Hastings. Dizzneeland is the hit, but the rest of the album is even better. Not many "Alternative" bands now compare to those bands of the nineties as I've said.
    Another band for that era that I would strongly recommend would be the Judybats. I don't really know if they really had any big hits (since they are local) but their best album would probably Down in the Shack Where the Satellite Dishes Grow. Unfortunately the lead singer had some sort of mental breakdown from what I heard and just when they were taking off commercially. He did reform the band and put out some indie stuff but it's now been a year with no news. Also giving your tastes you may want to check out Better than Ezra and Toad the Wet Sprocket if you haven't already.
    More is more. Less is less, Twice as much is good too,
    Too much is never enough except when it's just about right.
    People who have helped me out: DarthChuckMc, msjedi, bobafett07728, jjreason, dr_evazan22

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute View Post
    Woah woah woah, i'm sure he puts on a great show, but better than Sigur Ros?!?!?!? I can't believe that. Still, i'm sure it was a great show. How many times have you seen Sigur Ros live anyway? My total stands at seven, four of which in Feb and May. Lots o' traveling. and better than Radiohead?!??! C'mon now!
    i've seen Sigur Ros twice. and even though i love Radiohead, i still stand by what i said.

Quote Originally Posted by figrin bran View Post
    Muse's Blackholes and Revelations
    I love Muse, and B & R is a great album. I've been listening to this CD off and on since it came out and would say 'Starlight' is easily my favorite track and one of the band's best songs.
    Talk Show Host Interviewing Joker: “Your said to have only killed about 600 people Joker. Now don’t take this the wrong way but I think you’ve been holding out on us.”

Joker: “I don’t keep count. I’m going to kill everyone in this room.”

I'm on a massive 1990's kick, playing some "vintage" Smashing Pumpkins (anything pre-MCIS), Radiohead (The Bends & OK Computer), and even some Counting Crows (Recovering the Satellites & August and Everything after). Great stuff. "Siamese Dream" is one of the greatest albums ever and i'll have words with anybody who goes against that.

Does anybody else have different music tastes in the winter? I'm finding that as the temps get colder, I resort to older music in my collection, especially that which feels kind of "cold" or whatnot. IE- "OK Computer" in all its chaotic glory.

But oddly enough, Gorillaz and "Demon Days" get played at least once every two days. I can't get enough of this album and it's like what, 17 months old?!?! Great stuff. Gonna buy their action figures next week! wooo wooo!!!
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"