Page 81 of 178 FirstFirst ... 317177787980818283848591131 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketboy View Post
    Can't go wrong with VR. Which album?

I've been thinking of throw one of their albums in recently.
    The original.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds View Post
    The original.
    Contraband is damn good, but I absolutely love Libertad (which did next to nothing commercially or critically, but it's easily one of my top 10 albums).
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

I had to laugh as I'm in my office listening to the 78 "Dawn of the Dead" score by Goblin and keep in mind, there's hardly anybody in the building and it's pretty quiet (and dead!) in here. I then heard some rustling at our outer office door and some walking. I dunno why, but it made me jump a bit.

It was just a student dropping something off in a colleague's mailbox.
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

Thanks to Amazon shipping stuff early, Johnny Cash's American VI. It's the best of the American series since Unchained.

If CD's are two dollars cheaper than MP3s and can be received three days before the release date, it might take a while for the medium to totally die out.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Amazon doesn't always have CDs cheaper than MP3 downloads, but when they do, or they're the same, I buy the CDs so I can rip them myself and have a physical version. I'm starting to wonder why though, as I NEVER play these friggin' disks anymore, they're just taking up space storing data inefficiently since I have mountains of storage I'm not currently using. I've been toying with ripping my library losslessly and storing on a few HDs. I've got about a terabyte free now across various machines, 300gb free on my desktop, old laptop, and external hd each, and even combining the space taken up by all 3, my meager CD collection still takes up more space.

Eggman, Beastie Boys, from Paul's Boutique, which I bought from Amazon as a $5 MP3 download instead of $15 for the CD.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

$15 is what that's going for on CD? Ouch. I remember it was a $5.99 CD back when I got it... when there were no MP3's.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Amazon doesn't always have CDs cheaper than MP3 downloads, but when they do, or they're the same, I buy the CDs so I can rip them myself and have a physical version. I'm starting to wonder why though, as I NEVER play these friggin' disks anymore, they're just taking up space.
    If your computer crashes, you'll still have the CD. Also, it's kind of nice to have something physical in hand to look at, particularly if there are lyrics and other liner notes or pictures. I've bought a lot of individual tracks from iTunes, but I have yet to buy an entire album in mp3 format except for some that I was only able to get on iTunes (A couple Frank Black B-Side compilations, and a PJ Harvey iTunes Originals session). I also just discovered that Black Happy's The Last Polka will be available in mp3 format from Amazon on Tuesday. I passed on that years ago when I saw it. The cheapest it is available for now on Amazon is $29.97, with a couple new ones selling for nearly $200.

High Plains Drifter, Beasties, same album.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    $15 is what that's going for on CD? Ouch. I remember it was a $5.99 CD back when I got it... when there were no MP3's.
    Yeah, it's $15 for the current-print version (20th anniversary) or $23 for the original print edition. The album prices are all over the map, License to Ill is $9 tho' which is decent.

I don't remember CDs being $6-esque cheap before '95 (the birth of the MP3 format), they didn't start to finally get inexpensive until about 8 or 9 years ago IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Slanted Powers View Post
    If your computer crashes, you'll still have the CD. Also, it's kind of nice to have something physical in hand to look at, particularly if there are lyrics and other liner notes or pictures. I've bought a lot of individual tracks from iTunes, but I have yet to buy an entire album in mp3 format except for some that I was only able to get on iTunes (A couple Frank Black B-Side compilations, and a PJ Harvey iTunes Originals session). I also just discovered that Black Happy's The Last Polka will be available in mp3 format from Amazon on Tuesday. I passed on that years ago when I saw it. The cheapest it is available for now on Amazon is $29.97, with a couple new ones selling for nearly $200.
    That's why I mentioned that I have 300gb free on multiple machines though, including an external HD that can be connected to my 2 laptops and my PS3, not to mention my old 1.6ghz desktop machine I don't use anymore. So it would take a catastrophic failure of not 1 machine but 3, my desktop, my laptop, and my external HD. Anything that kills all 3 at once is going to melt the hell out of my CD collection.

Hell, my MP3 collection right now is 12gb, so lossless file versions that'd be ~120gb, I could probably also cloud-computer that into the internet.

Liner notes and album art have gotten pretty chintzy the last decade or so IMO. And how stupid is it that CDs now come in cases that are either more fragile than the disc itself, or in some goofy eco-friendly paper crap that doesn't protect the disc worth a damn?

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I was collecting CDs long before I had access to a computer and connection that were fast enough to download MP3's (around 2002 or so). I'm not sure I could fit the whole shebang on a normal computer.

As CDs die out slowly, I find that one can find good stuff very, very cheap. Do I download the album for $8+, or get the used copy in excellent condition for $1, and have a backup if the digital version is corrupted?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

You can get a USB-powered 320gb external HD for $55 these days. That would hold around 300 FLAC lossless albums, or 3,000 MP3 albums. Dollar for dollar, that storage medium is cheaper and easily copyable should you want a second backup. Since it's not an optical medium, there's no worry about scratching discs (see my Prince Batman CD for the horrors of scratched, nigh-irreplaceable discs), and it takes up less space than 5 jewel cases stacked. It doesn't require a laser-based reader, and while they are still fairly ubiquitous, some day they may not be.

Also, I've started to notice as I'm getting more into my MP3 player that older CDs are mastered just plain wrong. Some are mastered cheap at low bitrates, others are mastered with wrong levels, and a lot are mastered at low volumes - ZZ Top "Eliminator" was one I had to adjust using Audacity because the whole friggin' CD is half the volume of most other albums. A ton of my oldest CDs are like that, like they're made for old people or something, and I can't constantly crank the volume on my stereo in shuffle because the next song will be too loud.

Of course, selling CDs can be a boon, although untested legally under the overreaching DMCA law, apparently it's legal to buy a CD, make a single copy for archive purposes, and then sell the original. I haven't done this because right now having a CD archive is nice, but considering how much space these f'ers are taking up in my apartment, I'm thinking it's nearly time to change that. Also, I can't find decent used CDs at low prices for crap in-town, everybody thinks everything should be on ebay for a thousand bucks these days. I actually have to go to friggin' Amazon for used CDs at decent prices! How stupid is that?