Page 13 of 180 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The 'Xir
    Speaking of underrated, I have Radiohead's 'Hail to the Thief' in right now, and I think it's the best albumn they've put out since OK Computer. Even die hard Radiohead fans are bashing this albumn and I have no I dea why! I think they don't think it's as "smart" as their previous efforts, whatever that means; but we Radiohead fans have been waiting for them to get back to rocking out, and I think this albumn is their progression back to straight forward rock.
    Sounds like our tastes are very similar. I feel the same way regarding this album and listen to it on a regular basis. It's my favorite since 'OK Computer' too but thats not to imply that I didn't like 'Kid A' or 'Amnesiac'. 'Hail to the Thief' may not be as groundbreaking but it's quality stuff all the way.

Radiohead is definately one of my favorite bands but I constantly hear people saying their music is to depressing or down beat. I suppose some of their work could be looked at this way but I just appreciate the depth of their songs and find some of their work to be downright haunting. I agree they're underated and still think their sound is fresh and extremely unique compared to what else is out there today. It's been interesting to watch this band mature and they always seem to put out an album that I like to listen to straight through ratrher than skip around to my favorite songs. Hopefully they will be remembered as one of the most innovative bands of our time.
    Talk Show Host Interviewing Joker: “Your said to have only killed about 600 people Joker. Now don’t take this the wrong way but I think you’ve been holding out on us.”

Joker: “I don’t keep count. I’m going to kill everyone in this room.”

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboy
    Radiohead is definately one of my favorite bands but I constantly hear people saying their music is too depressing or down beat
    I know and I never understand this! It shows you that they are only basing their opinion on a couple songs or part of an albumn(probably Kid A or Amnesiac). I think Radiohead has great rythmns in their songs that really move them along, and there's question they can rock with their first 3 albumns! The later 3 they just rock in a different way. Like I said before songs like 'Go to Sleep', and 'Optimistic' off Kid A , just have great underlying rythmns, that I find myself slap drumming on my knees, 'cause you really can't dance to the rythmn, but they just make you want to move! It's not in your face rock. They don't try to pass off cheap rock riffs for cheap fan appreciation. They may make you work a little bit harder to understand how they rock, but it just gives way to a deeper appreciation of how hard they do it to earn your fandom, and how good the songs really are! Rock On!

that's wierd. i have 'hail to the thief' playing in my computer right now. i agree, definately the best radiohead release since 'ok computer', although thats not to say 'kid a' and 'amnesiac' were bad albums, i just don't think people were ready for such a radical change. its good to see groups not pandering to popular opinion and doing what they wanted.

it is a shame though. in the uk radiohead were slated by many fans because the played a different setlist every night and didn't play 'creep' every night. great song but its a shame some people can't move on.

having said that, when they headlined the glastonbury festival last year they didn't play creep - the asked moby who was headlining the following night to play it. and a great job he made of it too!

i agree with xir that radiohead may well be this generations floyd.

Anathema - A Natural Disaster (think modern day Pink Floyd)
    Killswitch Engage - Alive or Just Breathing (the future of metal)

OH!! and my 2 cents on Radiohead. I am not a fan, but just cause I am not a fan of something, it doesnt mean I cannot appreciate it. I was Music Director at a radio station for a while. Anyway, I just think Radiohead get too much praise. I just don't get it. Again its just my opinion. I think there are much better bands out there in that "genre", such as Anathema.
    Last edited by evenflow; 01-29-2004 at 09:40 AM.
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."

Quote Originally Posted by evenflow
    Anathema - A Natural Disaster (think modern day Pink Floyd)
    Killswitch Engage - Alive or Just Breathing (the future of metal)

OH!! and my 2 cents on Radiohead. I am not a fan, but just cause I am not a fan of something, it doesnt mean I cannot appreciate it. I was Music Director at a radio station for a while. Anyway, I just think Radiohead get too much praise. I just don't get it. Again its just my opinion. I think there are much better bands out there in that "genre", such as Anathema.
    now ther is a group who have drastically changed their sound and appear to have got away with it without too much complaint from their fans - anathama's early work was very dark gothic slow metal in a similar vein to my dying bride and paradise lost. another good example of a group doing what they want rather than what's expected of them.

Anathema huh? ThanX for the heads up EF! Haven't heard of 'em but i'll have to check 'em out. I'm always open to new(to me) music!
    As far as not getting Radiohead, there's definitely alot out there that don't, which is a shame IMO. But, I think it's like trying to convince people who haven't seen Star Wars how great the movies really are. Ya can't go back intime and get them caught up in it from the begining. Personally I think it had alot to do with Thom's voice on 'Creep'. An Anthemn song much in the way 'Teen Spirit' was for Nirvana, each opened up a whole new genre of music! Nirvana had a much greater impact on the music world opening the flood gates to grunge/alternative bands, while Radiohead had the whole music world stop and take notice of what they were doing! Ya started seeing other labels try to aquire there own Radiohead with bands like The Ours and Coldplay, but ya can't top the original...although I do like Coldplay alot! Thom in his quirkiness though, I think put the kabasch on their stardom purposely after OK Computer so as to ward off any posers or hangerons, and as a slap in the face for themselves like a reality check so it didn't go to their heads, and kept true to their music! This is where the experimental stuff really kicked in, and those hangerons surely jumped off the bandwagon!

xir, if you want to check out anathama, i would recommend you start with their newer material, such as last years 'natural disaster' or 2001's 'a fine day to exit' and work backwards. definately a band worth listening to.

Quote Originally Posted by arctangent
    xir, if you want to check out anathama, i would recommend you start with their newer material, such as last years 'natural disaster' or 2001's 'a fine day to exit' and work backwards. definately a band worth listening to.
    Good thinking. I always forge tto mention that people. I do however enjoy their older much heavier stuff as well, although i like their newermaterial much better.

Oh and no problem.
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."