Page 39 of 171 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142434989139 ... LastLast
    Desire - Ozzy Osbourne, No More Tears
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by figrin bran View Post
    JMG,

you know what? I got KOTCS'ed at tonight's Radiohead show, the first of 2 that I'm going to. It's devastating because they are supposedly to me as Sigur Ros is to you.

Rather than enjoying the set, I spent all of it trying to fight off the olfactory and auditory assault on my sense. The olfactory was from all the smoke inhalation. Cigarettes are bad enough on me but certain recreational substances are even worse. I was choking and coughing so much that I nearly wanted to start fistfights with the people lighting up around me.

The auditory assault came from the horrendous sound quality. It would be inexcusable at an in store performance at my local record store and definitely inexcusable at a world renowned venue like the Hollywood Bowl. It seemed like the sound techs had no idea what they were doing and the volume and EQ levels of all the instruments fluctuated wildly at times. I guess it didn't seem to bother other people but to me it was tantamount to the proverbial nails on the chalkboard.

Videotape with Phil's added drums would've been great if the drum sounds didn't fluctuate so much. While drummers do not always hit with the exact same velocity every time, it's still very consistent and the only time it peaks is when it's within the context of the musical phrase. However, those brilliant sound techs managed to muck it up badly. It definitely did sound like a lot of playing around with volume and EQ levels and while I did sit towards the back, I've been to other shows at this venue, rock shows even (previous Radiohead tours and Arcade Fire and Flaming Lips) and never noticed the sound problems that I did tonight.

Wolf at the Door was perhaps the best that I've ever heard that song live but no thanks to the sound problems, just about everything else felt lackluster. I left the show feeling the same way that I did after seeing KOTCS, hence my reference to that in the first sentence. The setlist was identical to your Cuyahoga one btw.

Also I got really annoyed with people talking during Exit Music and How to Disappear and also it would often take them a minute to realize what song's intro they were hearing and then they start cheering. It kind of makes me long for the Sigur Ros crowds, at least here in LA, where there is this reverent blanket of silence throughout the set.

Hopefully you'll enjoy your upcoming SR show more that I did my RH show tonight! Actually, I'm sure you will as I've seen them with Amina before and it's not something easily described in words.
    Yeah, I know what you mean about the smoke and schmuckery of some members of the audience. All of the outdoor venues here are smoke free, or at least they are in the pavillion, which is where I always sit. Shame that folks were talking during exit music or HTD; there were a handful of folks doing that out here, but they were quickly silenced.

And that's insane about the sound! You think they would have noticed or something. I do hope the second night at the Bowl was better for you!

I had my SR show last night!!

Got into detroit about 2 hours before the doors opened and got into the pre-sale Livenation ticket line, which was great as they let us in before the huge ticketmaster line that stretched for blocks. It was great though as when we were standing outside, Jonsi came by on his bike, wearing this huge grin when he saw the crowd gathering. He biked within a few inches of us and we all said hello and in his gentle icelandic accent, he said, "hello, hi. hi hi." and waved before continuing biking around downtown. Cool stuff!

Here was the setlist:
    Svefn-G-Englar
    Glósóli
    Ny Batteri
    E-bow
    Fljótavík
    Viđ Spilum Endalaust
    Hoppípolla -->
    Meo Blódnasir
    Inní Mér Syngur Vitleysingur
    Festival
    Svo Hljótt
    Heysátan
    Sćglópur
    Hafsól
    Gobbledigook
    ---
    Popplagid

Very eccletic setlist, but also really damned good. I hadn't heard Svefn since 02, so this was huge for me. The band seemed really, I dunno, "raw" tonight, or as raw as an icelandic ambient band can be. Jonsi was all over the stage and I don't even know how many bow's he ripped up. They didn't have the brass or strings with them, which did hurt a few songs a bit. Hopp--> Meo felt a bit empty without the strings towards the end of Hopp and the end of Saeg could have gone either way.

The band did fill in some of the gaps though, using loops, distortion and whatnot. Jonsi did a great number at the end of Saeg on his guitar, which was nice. There was also a great amount of crowd interaction, with the band asking us to sing the background vocals in Meo and to clap and do the background "la la la la" during Gobbl. Plus, they had three members of Parachutes all pounding drums (the name eludes me, but the ones you'd see being used on a battlefield march?) which was awesome.

They had on the wackiest outfits as Jonsi had a black (what appeared to be) boat captain outfit, Orri (drummer) had a crown on, Georgg (bass) had a 1920's suit and hat and Kjarri (keyboards, vocals, guitar, etc, etc) had a sports jacket on. I'm used to seeing them in shirts and jeans, so this was a welcome surprise.

The crowd was really energetic during the interactive parts and lots of cheering. One a-- kept yelling random stuff and I hope great harm comes to him.

Overall, it was a really fantastic show that did not disappoint. SR never cease to amaze me and tonight was no different.

"Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

I've been listening to two leaked tracks from Scott Weiland's upcoming solo album like crazy the last few days.
    And the album won't be out for two months yet!
    I'm really hoping the whole album gets leaked well before that.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Brown Sugar - Rolling Stones. Part of my 4 hour Rolling Stones playlist.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Brown Sugar - Rolling Stones. Part of my 4 hour Rolling Stones playlist.
    Now you're talkin! Hey... do you have that "The Singles Collection: The London Years" set?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh, and JMG... I'm really jealous about the Sigur Ros show. As is typical, I missed out and couldn't get tickets in time. (Lame.)

STYX- Greatest Hits!!!!

They performed a free concert in Ames, IA; for flood relief charity. My brother went and saw them, lucky bastard. His girlfriend in college and him had Mr. Roboto as "their" song. Unfortunately, they did not play it because Dennis DeYoung owned the rights to it. And he took them when he left the band. But, I saw somewhere he was playing with them on June 13, 2008. So I don't know what the deal was.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

I have a Styx greatest hits CD. It had the 95 version of "Lady", which was actually a pretty re-recording that sounded pretty close to the original. A while back iTunes put the complete Wooden Nickel recordings on there, and I downloaded the original version of "Lady". Great tune.

Billy Joel's theme to Bosom Buddies. "I never said you had to... don't get me wrong!... Leave me alone!"

I've been hearing a lot of Fleetwood Mac, so next coupon I get to a store, might have to pick up their greatest hits CD. Wasn't that up there once with the Eagle's one for all-time sellers?
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Billy Joel's theme to Bosom Buddies. "I never said you had to... don't get me wrong!... Leave me alone!"

I've been hearing a lot of Fleetwood Mac, so next coupon I get to a store, might have to pick up their greatest hits CD. Wasn't that up there once with the Eagle's one for all-time sellers?
    According to http://www.classicbands.com/bestsellers.html, Fleetwood Mac's Rumours is in the top 10. No mention of the greatest hits. That appears to be just in the U.S. though. This wiki page has worldwide totals. Rumours doesn't rank quite as high there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post

If you are going to get any Fleetwood Mac albums with Lindsay Buckingham and Stievie Nicks, both of the first two ones "Fleetwood Mac" and "Rumours" every track is good and most of the hits are on both. It's much better than buying the Greatest Hits. There are some good songs on "Tusk" though.

Myself, I used to listen to a lot of the early stuff as well as those two. They had many albums with different guitarists/ singers who wrote and played some really cool stuff along with original members Mick Fleetwood and John McVie.

Bob Welch:
    Miles Away: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z6jPru9dFc
    Hypnotized:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED0NqZthwrI

Peter Green:
    Who wrote the original version of Green Manalishi remade by Judas Priest
    Green Manalishi:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYBQdXv0BhM

Danny Kirwin:
    Bare Trees: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paxwe8F90X8