Page 42 of 181 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292142 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    House of Pain and MC Lyte are not Old School, despite being 15 years old. They are well after Old School, and House of Pain is after the golden era of hip hop. If it don't sound like Run DMC, Kool Moe Dee, The Fat Boys, Doug E. Fresh, Slick Rick, Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five, or the Sugarhill Gang, it ain't Old School. If it doesn't sound like Biz Markie, Public Enemy, Heavy D & the Boyz, Kid & Play, Salt-n-Peppa, LL Cool J, Fresh Prince & DJ Jazzy Jeff, Schooly D, NWA, Beastie Boys, or Ultramagnetic MCs, it ain't Golden Age. MC Lyte kinda skirts Golden Age, but only barely.
    BTW, here's the playlist from that CD:
    * = songs I like
    + = songs I'd consider truly "old school"
    +1. Sugarhill Gang "Rapper's Delight"
    *+2. Run DMC "It's Tricky"
    +3. Salt-N-Pepa "Push It"
    *4. Digital Underground "The Humpty Dance" (this might be a late-old schooler)
    5. Coolio "Fantastic Voyage"
    6. House of Pain "Jump Around"
    *+7. Rob Base & DJ E-Z Rock "It Takes Two"
    +8. The Fat Boys "The Fat Boys Are Back"
    9. MC Lyte "Ruffneck"
    +10. Kurtis Blow "The Breaks"
    11. L'Trimm "Cars With the Boom"
    +12. Grandmaster Flash "The Message"
    *13. Rebirth of Soul" Digable Planets
    *14. De la Soul "Me, Myself and I"
    15. Queen Latifah "Ladies First"
    16. Kid N' Play "Rollin' With Kid N' Play"
    17. Naughty By Nature "Hip Hop Hooray"

Was suprised at the lack of Beastie Boys, Kool Moe Dee, Slick Rick, Big Daddy Kane, LL Cool J, etc. but there can be future CDs, I guess.
    Last edited by Bel-Cam Jos; 11-13-2008 at 11:54 PM.
    "That's what Sheev said."

Of those songs, I've purchased the following from iTunes:

Digital Underground "The Humpty Dance"
    House of Pain "Jump Around"
    Grandmaster Flash "The Message"
    Rebirth of Soul" Digable Planets (Actually, it is called "Rebirth of Slick")

I don't have "It's Tricky" by Run-DMC, but I do have "You Be Illin'" and "Rock Box".

Other rap songs I've purchased from iTunes (at least it says Hip-Hop/Rap in the genre field):

"Welcome to Seattle" - Boom Bap Project
    "Missing Link" - Del the Funky Homosapien & Dinosaur Jr.
    "Language of Violence" - Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy
    "Handlebars" - Flobots
    "Just Another Victim" - Helmet & House of Pain
    "Hey Ya!" - OutKast
    "Lady Venom" - Swollen Members
    "Steppin' to the A.M." - 3rd Bass

Plus I have CD's by Beastie Boys and Public Enemy.

Push It is from '87 and has a polished, dance sound that doesn't say old school to me. Humpty Dance, while a fun song, is from '90. It Takes Two is from '88, and while it has a bit of the old school feel, I couldn't classify it as such. The rest of those are proper classified as old school or not (from a technical standpoint as well as a sound, since that era is late '70s to the culture renaissance that was 1984). If they had classified this album as golden age hip hop, it would have made a lot more sense.

Surprised you don't like Rapper's Delight tho'.

I am listening to my PC tower fan.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Slanted Powers View Post
    Of those songs...

Rebirth of Soul" Digable Planets (Actually, it is called "Rebirth of Slick")
    I must've been looking at De La Soul, and transposed the name. Therefore, I owe a BSLOS, in a different genre, for my mistake:

"Cause I need to know
    Girl you gotta let me know
    Which way to go
    'Cause I need to know
    I need to know
    Tell me baby girl
    'Cause I need to know
    I need to know
    I need to know
    Tell me baby girl
    'Cause I need to know..."

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    Surprised you don't like Rapper's Delight tho'.
    I don't dislike it, it's just not my fave.

Irony alert: am listening to The Best of Depeche Mode, Vol. 1 right now, specifically my favorite DP song, "Enjoy the Silence."

only... if you... think about... the... irony...

Sorry to interrupt

Led Zeppelin III

Kinda the dark horse album by them, I haven't listened to in a long time except for Immigrant Song which I've heard too many times. I just skip that one.
    The rest is like amazing. I can't think of a singer now that could sing like Plant on that album, except for maybe a girl like Kelly Clarkson with the range and inflection to handle it.

Like to see somebody do "Since I've been lovin' you" now. Not many could.

Depech Mode is excellent. I like the "Policy of Truth"... so true.
    "Ohh, maxi big da fish! Well dat smells stinkowiff"

"No time to discuss this as a supercommittee.... I am not a supercommittee!"

Quote Originally Posted by Blue2th View Post
    Sorry to interrupt

Depech Mode is excellent. I like the "Policy of Truth"... so true.
    No need to apologize; this is about what you are listening to musically, not really listening to/reading in this thread. "P.o.T." is my 2nd favorite DP song, but sadly it's not on this compilation CD. I used to think it said "upon a sea of truth."

I was never really all that into Depeche Mode, but I did buy the song "Precious" from iTunes. It got a lot of play on the Music Choice Alternative station and I was listening to that channel a lot at the time.

Has anyone else heard of pandora's radio.com? A great site for setting up a "station" of music you like.

My list ranges from U2, Johnny Cash, Ryan Adams, Rusted Root, and Waylon Jennings....with some Robert Earl King Jr., Alison Kraus, and Waron Zevon to boot!
    For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is.