Page 49 of 181 FirstFirst ... 394546474849505152535999149 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    I borrowed Independent Worm Saloon, wasn't my speed. I have a bunch of Primus, but somehow I never feel in the mood to listen to it, it doesn't fit anywhere in my styles.
    Yeah, it's actually far from my favorite of theirs and it's downright annoying at times. I give props to Gibby though because he was this madman with a literal wall of electronics and, when he was lucid, was an amazing musician.

If I actually think about listening to Primus, I agree about it needing the right mood, but every time I randomly hear it, I'm always amazed by that bass and really enjoy it...kinda odd.

The last 5 old CD's put on the HD:

The Doors
    - Morrison Hotel
    Stevie Ray Vaughan- Texas Flood
    Tool- Undertow
    Best of Kool and the Gang 1969-1976
    Red Hot Chili Peppers- Blood Sugar Sex Magic(autographed)

After seeing the same CDs for $0.50 at the 99c Only stores I was hitting up for the missing Thor-Axine car for my Speed Racer collection (found it yesterday!), I decided to bite the bullet and drop $1.50 on a few (after looking them up online to see what type of music they were, of course).

That was a long sentence.

Right now, listening to The Music of Your Life (1994) by ZuZu's Petals, a female trio that sounds sorta like what Hole might've sounded like on Celebrity Skin if Courtney Love could actually sing. Lyrically not masterminds, but they sound quite good.

Prior to that was Vanderhoof's self-titled 1997 CD. An excellent album by a band that sounds an awful lot like an updated version of Machine Head-era Deep Purple, maybe with a dash of Soundgarden tossed in.

Before that was a 1995 compilation by Tiny Lights called A Young Person's Guide to Tiny Lights. I have no clue why a band I've never heard of released a compilation that is now gathering dust by the millions in 99c Only stores everywhere, but (as good as Vanderhoof was), methinks this is the best of the bunch. They sound a lot like Innocence Mission (though without Karen Peris' unique voice), sometimes with more of a rock edge. And my wife was pleasantly surprised to see there's an official 10,000 Maniacs connection with them, too.

Not bad for less than the price of two MP3s. I have a feeling I'll jot down the names of a few more every time I stop by and see if there are any other gems that are unjustly being overlooked there.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

"When the Levee Breaks" - Led Zeppelin, LZIV
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Right now, listening to The Music of Your Life (1994) by ZuZu's Petals, a female trio that sounds sorta like what Hole might've sounded like on Celebrity Skin if Courtney Love could actually sing. Lyrically not masterminds, but they sound quite good.
    Just checked out the samples on iTunes. Sounds all right. No write-up on the album or the band at all on allmusic.com. The name sort of sounds familiar, so I wonder if I've heard them before.

Prior to that was Vanderhoof's self-titled 1997 CD. An excellent album by a band that sounds an awful lot like an updated version of Machine Head-era Deep Purple, maybe with a dash of Soundgarden tossed in.
    Don't see them on iTunes, but I see on allmusic.com that there is a connection to Metal Church, who I heard of back in the day, but never heard. I came across Metal Church recently and noticed that they were a Seattle band.

Before that was a 1995 compilation by Tiny Lights called A Young Person's Guide to Tiny Lights. I have no clue why a band I've never heard of released a compilation that is now gathering dust by the millions in 99c Only stores everywhere, but (as good as Vanderhoof was), methinks this is the best of the bunch. They sound a lot like Innocence Mission (though without Karen Peris' unique voice), sometimes with more of a rock edge. And my wife was pleasantly surprised to see there's an official 10,000 Maniacs connection with them, too.
    Not on iTunes either, and no samples for this album on allmusic. What is the 10,000 Maniacs connection? I've heard some Innocence Mission. I kind of like their sound, but I don't have any of their music.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    "When the Levee Breaks" - Led Zeppelin, LZIV
    I once came across a roots of Led Zeppelin CD that had the old blues songs which Led Zeppelin covered or borrowed from. I've bought a few such songs, included the version of this song done by Memphis Minnie & Kansas Joe. Others I have include:

Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You - Joan Baez
    Black Water Side - Bert Jansch (Zeppelin made it into the instrumental Black Mountain Side)
    How Many More Years - Howlin' Wolf (part of the inspiration in How Many More Times)
    The Hunter - Albert King (also borrowed from for How Many More Times)
    Killing Floor - Howlin' Wolf (borrowed from this one on The Lemon Song)
    Bring It On Home - Sonny Boy Williamson
    It's Nobody's Fault But Mine - Blind Willie Johnson
    Dazed and Confused - Jake Holmes
    The Gallis Pole - Leadbelly

Dazed and Confused is my favorite of the bunch.

Emotional Rescue - Rolling Stones. I can't tell you how long my Stones playlist is anymore because like an idiot I let it update to WMP11 and that feature isn't there. Stupid WMP 11 sucks.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Slanted Powers View Post
    What is the 10,000 Maniacs connection? I've heard some Innocence Mission. I kind of like their sound, but I don't have any of their music.
    The cellist played on MTV Unplugged. Looks like one of the guys from the band went on to play (bass?) for Ween, too.

My wife is a big Innocence Mission fan. I'd recommend Glow as far as the stuff that's in print. If you can track down an affordable copy, their self-titled major label debut is their best by far. The one track they have on the Empire Records soundtrack is hella mediocre compared to everything else.

Oh, and Blind Willie Johnson's version of "It's Nobody's Fault But Mine" is my fave. I still love Zep, but I lost an awful lot of respect for them when I discovered about half their songs were old blues songs that they ripped off and took songwriting credit for. Willie Dixon was still alive to sue their arses over that crap, and (for some reason) they liked Memphis Minnie enough to actually credit her for "Levee" to begin with, but most of the other folks they stole from were dead and couldn't stand up to protect their work.

(I dig most Memphis Minnie stuff, but the original of "When the Levee Breaks" just doesn't quite do it for me.)
    Last edited by El Chuxter; 01-24-2009 at 02:04 AM.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

The boxed set in 1990 gave credit to Dixon "I Can't Quit You Baby". They also gave partial credit to Robert Johnson on "Travelling Riverside Blues". The second set that had everthing else on it listed Dixon & J. B. Lenoir for "You Shook Me". Nothing for "Nobody's Fault But Mine", "The Lemon Song", "How Many More Times", "Black Mountain Side", or "Dazed and Confused".

Lately I've been listening to songs from T.I.'s Paper Trail. It's a pretty decent CD and I may buy it when I get paid.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Currently listening to the album "The Dream" by In This Moment. It's just my latest guilty pleasure since I am partial to bands that have female leads.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

Looking forward to the new Springsteen album Tuesday.
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!