Page 50 of 183 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460100150 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    Lately I've been listening to songs from T.I.'s Paper Trail. It's a pretty decent CD and I may buy it when I get paid.
    Thanks! I could use more royalties, Slick!
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

after nearly 3 hours and 2 previous tickets purchased, I FINALLY found a good ticket for the Phish show in IN in June. So, naturally i'm listening to Phish. hahahaha also need to sell those two extra seats, so listen up hippies!
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

"The Throne Room + End Title" John Williams
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Best of Van Halen: Vol. 1, and "Runnin' With the Devil" is just about done, with "Dance the Night Away" as the next track. Has there been a "Vol. 2?"
    "That's what Sheev said."

I gotta get me some Van Halen, my collection is totally lacking. Prince, too, now that I think about it.

Currently, I'm listening to "I Wanna Know Why", Aerosmith, from the Pandora's Box box set (the original version with the narrow box and book, that was the most expensive album I ever bought, from my 3rd or 4th paycheck ever, back in '91).

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Main stream radio and tv.....who cares!!

A few months ago I replied to a thread here about what music you listen to. I was under the impression that it was supposed to be about music and bands that one might not be used to hearing about, something different and unique that only a select few of real music lovers might find interesting. Since then I am getting like 3 e-mails per week with people replying with things like van halen and prince...are you kidding me? If you listen to MTV crap, or VH1 junk or you can hear your music on the radio then please just move on as I dont care. Lets see how many gen x-ers out there grew up in the speed metal, punk, and goth movements of the 90's. If you can actually say you know any of the following bands then write in with some more as this is a good way to expand your music collection with bands that actually have some talent and something to say. If you listen to rap do not reply as this is not music. Here goes with the bands:
    DEAD BRAIN CELLS
    VIO-LENCE
    MINISTRY
    THRILL KILL CULT
    SLAYER
    ANGKOR WAT
    YELLOW MACHINEGUN
    FRONT LINE ASSEMBLY
    PRONG
    NITZER EBB
    THE DWARVES
    ANTI-SEEN
    NUCLEAR ASSAULT
    SACRED REICH
    FINAL CONFLICT
    SLAPSHOT
    CRYPTIC SLAUGHTER
    NAPALM DEATH
    SUCIDAL TENDENCIES
    D.R.I.
    BAD RELIGION
    ALL
    DESCENDENTS
    CRINGER
    C.O.C.
    HIRAX
    THE QUEERS
    SCREECHING WEASEL
    If you currently listen to any of these or bands similar I would like to hear from you....if you listen to hip hop, rap, or any crap on the radio dont bother as you have no musical taste as far as I am concerned. Yes I am opinionated....I am gen-x punk from charlotte nc and will give you a boot party before anything else if you dont like my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by FLORIDA COLLECTOR X View Post
    A few months ago I replied to a thread here about what music you listen to. I was under the impression that it was supposed to be about music and bands that one might not be used to hearing about, something different and unique that only a select few of real music lovers might find interesting. Since then I am getting like 3 e-mails per week with people replying with things like van halen and prince...are you kidding me? If you listen to MTV crap, or VH1 junk or you can hear your music on the radio then please just move on as I dont care. Lets see how many gen x-ers out there grew up in the speed metal, punk, and goth movements of the 90's. If you can actually say you know any of the following bands then write in with some more as this is a good way to expand your music collection with bands that actually have some talent and something to say. If you listen to rap do not reply as this is not music. Here goes with the bands:
    DEAD BRAIN CELLS
    VIO-LENCE
    MINISTRY
    THRILL KILL CULT
    SLAYER
    ANGKOR WAT
    YELLOW MACHINEGUN
    FRONT LINE ASSEMBLY
    PRONG
    NITZER EBB
    THE DWARVES
    ANTI-SEEN
    NUCLEAR ASSAULT
    SACRED REICH
    FINAL CONFLICT
    SLAPSHOT
    CRYPTIC SLAUGHTER
    NAPALM DEATH
    SUCIDAL TENDENCIES
    D.R.I.
    BAD RELIGION
    ALL
    DESCENDENTS
    CRINGER
    C.O.C.
    HIRAX
    THE QUEERS
    SCREECHING WEASEL
    If you currently listen to any of these or bands similar I would like to hear from you....if you listen to hip hop, rap, or any crap on the radio dont bother as you have no musical taste as far as I am concerned. Yes I am opinionated....I am gen-x punk from charlotte nc and will give you a boot party before anything else if you dont like my opinion.
    Hmm, I wonder if that Van Halen & Prince ref is aimed at me. I'd assume so since it comes right after the post where I say that, but then you go on to mention Ministry, Slayer, Napalm Death, Suicidal Tendencies, and Bad Religion, all of which is in my collection and regularly plays. Maybe we're not stereotypes meant to conform to your worldview and allowed to enjoy music whether it's commercial or not. Then again, maybe I don't give a crap whether you feel I have any taste anyway, and can survive the internet words of a "Gen-X punk" especially since my mom and step-dad met in a punk band, and I live down the street from Glenn Danzig.

The apropos "Same Old Song and Dance", Aerosmith.

Doesnt matter

I dont care if your dad is henry rollins...you admitted to the world you listen to prince. LOL

"I dont care if you dont see the world like I do..."
    Excel 1987

Quote Originally Posted by FLORIDA COLLECTOR X View Post
    DEAD BRAIN CELLS
    VIO-LENCE
    MINISTRY
    THRILL KILL CULT
    SLAYER
    ANGKOR WAT
    YELLOW MACHINEGUN
    FRONT LINE ASSEMBLY
    PRONG
    NITZER EBB
    THE DWARVES
    ANTI-SEEN
    NUCLEAR ASSAULT
    SACRED REICH
    FINAL CONFLICT
    SLAPSHOT
    CRYPTIC SLAUGHTER
    NAPALM DEATH
    SUCIDAL TENDENCIES
    D.R.I.
    BAD RELIGION
    ALL
    DESCENDENTS
    CRINGER
    C.O.C.
    HIRAX
    THE QUEERS
    SCREECHING WEASEL
    I've heard of a few of those bands, and actually heard even less. Most of it isn't quite my thing. Of those, I think I have an mp3 of "Institutionalized" by Suicidal Tendencies. I think I got that from Napster before they were shut down and reborn. From iTunes, I purchased "Snap Your Fingers Snap Your Neck" by Prong, and "Nobody's" by All. I actually saw the Prong song on MTV years ago and it stuck with me even though I probably didn't hear it again. A college roommate had the All CD and I had taped a copy of it, but finally have it in a more easily accessible format.

While I'm not a big fan of the rap and most of what is on the top 40 today, you shouldn't dismiss all rap as not being music. In fact, the Public Enemy song "She Watch Channel Zero?!" samples a riff from the Slayer song "Angel of Death".

I don't watch MTV. I used to watch VH1 or VH1 classic a lot, but not so much lately. I do enjoy their top 100 music lists, even if a lot of the choices are kind of lame. I also enjoy their "I Love The (70's, 80's, 90's, new millennium)" series. I tuned into MTV2 on New Years Eve 2007 and actually saw them playing videos, and some of them were actually pretty cool, such as CSS - "Alala", Matt & Kim - "Yeah Yeah" and Black Moth Super Rainbow - "Sun Lips".

I guess I was never much of a metalhead, but I was exposed to some of it and can appreciate the talent there. I was raised in the 70's and 80's, mostly on mainstream stuff. The alternative music of my youth was mostly New Wave, and not very alternative at that. I recall telling other kids that my favorite band was The Cars, and all they would think of is that Gary Numan song. So, prior to Heartbeat City, I thought The Cars were kind of alternative. The irony is that Gary Numan is far more alternative than The Cars. My brother had Devo's Freedom of Choice and The B'52's Wild Planet. I had of course heard "Whip It", but The B-52's were totally unknown to me. Other than hearing "Private Idaho" on the radio a couple times in the years after that, I didn't really hear anything about them until their big breakthrough with Cosmic Thing. A couple other albums he had that weren't too mainstream were Gary Myrick & The Figures, and The Boomtown Rats - The Fine Art of Surfacing.

In the mid-80's a friend introduced me to Talking Heads and I really got into them for a while. I knew people in high school that were into a lot of the alternative 80's bands. I'd get a kick out of going into the record store and reading the song and album titles from bands like The Dead Kennedys.

In college I discovered a late night radio program on CBC radio called Brave New Waves. They played alternative and underground stuff. One night I heard a profile that must have been chronicling Fugazi and it's origins. When I heard the guy talking about Minor Threat, I was amazed by the fact that this hard core punk band was talking about this straight edge stuff. Up to that point, my image of punk was of anarchy and nihilism. Eventually Fugazi became my favorite band.

In the early 90's, I was in college during the rise of grunge and all of this alternative music getting mainstream attention. It was a fun time as I went to local clubs to see bands play, including a band some of my cross country teammates were in. Much of musical tastes seems to have been shaped by that era. However, I still am rooted in classic rock and the pop music I grew up with in the 70's. I recall listening to American Top 40 in the late 70's and perhaps early 80's. I recall seeing a show on TV about the history of rock and roll, and the radio had a series that went year by year talking about the history of rock. CFMI radio across the border in Canada had a program called Discumentary that would profile a band, year or theme each week. That was part of my classic rock education. Even some of the country music my parents have on the radio, which I didn't care for much at the time, has worked its way into my musical subconscious. I don't much care for modern country music, but the stuff prior to 1980 is more likely to be something I am familiar with.

A few years ago, I got into the ambient, electronic, new age and space music as heard on an internet station called Astreaux World. My collection now contains a couple dozen CD's by artists I heard there. There was some bad news recently as I learned through the forums on the Astreaux World website that the guy that created the station has passed away.

To get a fuller picture of what I'm into, or was into at some point, check out my CD List and list of iTunes purchases. There is some metal, some punk, some rap, some country, but mostly classic rock, 70's pop, and 90's alternative rock. I consider myself to be, as my signature line says, "Too mainstream for the underground, too alternative for the masses."