Page 51 of 181 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FLORIDA COLLECTOR X View Post
    I dont care if your dad is henry rollins...you admitted to the world you listen to prince. LOL

"I dont care if you dont see the world like I do..."
    Excel 1987
    And if you can't recognize that Prince is a creative musician and a damned good guitar player, you are wearing blinders.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I dont care if your dad is henry rollins...you admitted to the world you listen to prince. LOL
    Nothing wrong with liking Prince. The guy has a lot of talent, and can sure play the guitar. I'm not really into his music though, but I do like some of his tunes.

Edit: Ah, looks like JT beat me to it with pretty much the same thing. Prince put on a pretty good show at the Super Bowl a year or two ago. Certainly better than the Janet Jackson incident anyway.

The reference to the rap band using slayer is exactly why I hate rap, they have to steal other bands music to get noticed. no creativity...its all about the super ego and look at what I have...who cares...its primitive and unremarkable and delinquent and promotes crime.

I listen to every bloody thing (except Beyonce ). Okay, there's a bit more I won't listen to, but it's mostly the prefab pop you seem to be lumping everything in with.

Right now, "Soul of a Man" by Blind Willie Johnson. There's only one existing photo of the man. You don't get much less MTV than that.

JT, not to nitpick, but are you sure the slim box is the first version of Pandora's Box? I got it when it first came out, and I wouldn't describe the box as particularly slim. I know I've seen a much slimmer one since and, when I had to replace mine due to an unfortunate incident involving a drunken college roommate loaning it to someone else and basically destroying two of the discs , I got the small box that's the size of a 2-disc case.

I could be wrong about the slimmer version not being around first, though.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

The reference to the rap band using slayer is exactly why I hate rap, they have to steal other bands music to get noticed. no creativity...its all about the super ego and look at what I have...who cares...its primitive and unremarkable and delinquent and promotes crime.
    Yet one of the greatest bands of all time, Led Zeppelin, got famous with music they ripped off from others, mostly black blues players. And no one wanted to listen to "that n***er music" until Elvis started playing it.

I certainly see what you are saying about a lot of the rap, but just because they use samples and such doesn't mean there is no creativity. Putting together a sample heavy album like Paul's Boutique by The Beastie Boys is no easy feat. Plus, much of the creativity in rap is in the lyrics and the lyrical style. I tend not to care for the type of rap that is all about gangstas and hos, has too much of "Yeah. Uh.", or videos with all the rap cliches of cars, dope, bling, booty and boobs.

If you watch one of the documentaries about the origins of hip hop and rap, perhaps you'll have a different perspective. Listen to a song like "The Message" by Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five. If you want something more in line with your tastes, the Judgment Night soundtrack paired rappers with hard rock artists. Ice-T & Slayer did a pretty good song called "Disorder". Others on there that I like include Helmet & House of Pain - "Just Another Victim", Mudhoney & Sir Mix-a-Lot - "Freak Momma", and my favorite, Del the Funky Homosapien & Dinosaur Jr - "Missing Link".

MINISTRY
    THRILL KILL CULT
    SLAYER
    ANGKOR WAT
    PRONG
    NITZER EBB
    NAPALM DEATH
    SUCIDAL TENDENCIES
    BAD RELIGION
    I've listened to all of these, but I can't say that I'm big fans of any of them. Except for Ministry, which I was really into back in 1992-93.

The only bands, along those lines, that I listen to somewhat regularly now would be:
    Fear Factory
    In Flames
    Prick
    Nightwish
    Type O Negative

However, my tastes go through cycles and these days I've been (legally) downloading more mid-1990s alternative rock than anything else.

Recent MP3s I've purchased:
    Foo Fighters - their entire debut album
    Weezer - Pinkerton (full album, in fact I'm listening to it right now)
    Semisonic - If I Run, Down in Flames and Across the Great Divide (all off of their 1996 album Great Divide)
    The Killers - Spaceman (the only modern song I really like right now, awesome song too!)

I think next on my list is Spacehog: Resident Alien and Hum: You'd Prefer An Astronaut.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Oh yeah, I forgot to talk about Ministry. I remember when Psalm 69 was big. I've been thinking of getting a couple of tracks from that. Last year I was listening to the Retro-Active station on Comcast's Music Choice and they played an older new wavish Ministry song called "Revenge" that I kind of liked. I've had it sitting in a wish list ever since then.

KNAC.com metal feed, not sure what's playing right now, don't recognize it.

So, on my drive down to San Diego to meet Bobafrett after he donated a kidney to Tycho, I remembered how poorly the tapes I had for comic-con worked out on the drive, and got an MP3 player and tape deck adapter for the car. It's only a 1gb, I filled it up with Metallica, AC-DC, Megadeth, Judas Priest, and Dethklok. It was good, but not enough variety. So over the past 2 days, I've been going through my collection finding more driving music. Unfortunately, the first playlist I came up with filled the player to the brim after down-converting the Metallica to 128kb quality before I had even put any Rolling Stones in, so I decided to down-convert everything during sync to 64kbps, and was able to fit 31 hours, 448 songs, into the player with 100mb left over in storage space. This list has everything in my library that I consider playable for driving, not just metal or rock either. Everything from AC-DC to ZZ Top (cheesy, but true).

Yeah, whereas punk rock is NOTHING like that. Primative? A lot of it is. Promoting delinquencies and crime? How about violence against others, destruction of property, and doing heroin for starters. I'll take Public Enemy over The Exploited any day of the week, and I own material from both.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    JT, not to nitpick, but are you sure the slim box is the first version of Pandora's Box? I got it when it first came out, and I wouldn't describe the box as particularly slim. I know I've seen a much slimmer one since and, when I had to replace mine due to an unfortunate incident involving a drunken college roommate loaning it to someone else and basically destroying two of the discs , I got the small box that's the size of a 2-disc case.
    No, that's not a narrow box set which is what I meant, that's a different shape altogether, standard jewel x2 depth, right? The Pandora's Box v1 I have is a tall cardboard box that's narrower than most box sets (not that I have the box anymore, lost it in a move, but the booklet is the same shape and outer design), and had 3 individual jewel cases and the aforementioned booklet within. I've stopped loaning out my CDs, it's become too difficult to replace them for that very reason, nobody's careful enough anymore. My poor Batman '89 Prince disc needs to be filled in so bad from scratches.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Snowblind, Black Sabbath

Call me nuts, I prefer the Ace Frehley song by the same name.

I didn't realize that was the "slim box" you were talking about. I think I saw it in the smaller "book" type box a few years after that one was released.
    Tommy, close your eyes.