Page 82 of 180 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384858692132 ... LastLast
    "Hey Ladies", same guys, same album.

So I've decided to make an experiment out of this, because there a mountain of pros and cons on both sides. Examples: MP3s don't take up any resources except electricty while Used CDs are actively recycling. Used CD sales don't pay artists for their work, while MP3s are easily pirated.

I've perused Amazon and picked up all 4 Beastie Boys albums I don't have, as used CDs. Each one had to have original packaging in some condition, and be under $4 with shipping. I spent a total of $13.05 with shipping for the 4 albums, 2 of them should be here on Tuesday.

Once I get them, the question will be: are they readable discs, is their packaging in acceptable condition, will they get here in reasonable amounts of time, and will I have a place to put them once they do? (Currently, my CD tower is full and has jewel cases stuffed in the top, so this one is already "no" but how much it matters is the goal IMO.)

I suspect I'll get at least 75% acceptable ratings here, but I do think the near future of media purchases are going to be digital rather than physical, and once the useless labels and studios and publishers are bypassed, pricing will go down on new product to make digital piracy not as commonplace.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I got all 4 used albums in the experiment, and all 4 have scratches on the discs. The packaging is in good shape (although To The 5 Burroughs and Hello Nasty are both a bit worse for wear because they use those dopey paper packages). I haven't played or ripped them though, just got in and am exhausted. I don't have any disc filler right now either, so if they don't play, they're worthless.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Whatcha Want, then Sabotage, Beastie Boys. So far, the sub-$4 albums may have scratches but they're ripping ok. As archival quality data, they won't take a lot more abuse and stay usable, but for now they're doing what they need, and cheaper than MP3 purchases. Their jewel cases are fairly acceptable too. But now the real challenging albums come up, the ones in the cardboard sleeves are more scratched, and already Hello Nasty is ripping slower than the previous 2.

Intergalactic, BBs. Well, it's done its thing with no stuttering.

The final album is up, and although it's rated the highest of the used albums, there's a few severe scratches on the outer rim and a surface spot that is totally abnormal.

Ch-Check It Out, Beasties. Holy crap, this final album blasted through its rip! Scratches on the outer rim and weird spots apparently aren't over the tracks (thankfully, CDs start from the spindle instead of acting like records). Less tracks on the album, it turns out that's why Hello Nasty was slower to rip. Now playing is Root Down.

Ok, I have to admit, so far, the experiment says buying used CDs is better than new MP3s, although the artists aren't getting paid for my purchase which is on my mind.

But now I have to find space for these albums, and while 2 of them are jewel cases that I can remove the disc and printed materials from, 2 are not and cannot be separated from their printed matter at all. Archiving my newly-completed BBs collection is a question mark that I won't be able to answer for a few days.

An Open Letter to NYC, Beastie Boys, from To The 5 Burroughs. Not a bad album, I was growing frustrated with the BBs after traversing the increasingly frustrating Check Your Head through Hello Nasty. It's definitely a thinner album than Paul's Boutique, but it also abandons the annoying overuse of gimmickry that overwhelmed Ill Communication, and lacks the oddball jazz weirdness of their '90s material.

It's on Crawlspace now, same album.

A Sunday morning PSA on the topic of animals.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Kickstart My Heart, Motley Crue. "Based on a true story!"

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Kickstart My Heart, Motley Crue. "Based on a true story!"
    Yes lets celebrate h use in song form!