Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

On-screen graphics getting out of control!

Have you watched Fox lately? Are you as annoyed as I am by cars driving across the screen or women chasing Joe Millionaire, sometimes with accompanying sound effects? How about E!'s scrolling news ticker every 7 minutes that "squishes" the rest of the image, or their yapping Sugar Pie animation inviting you to view Anna Nicole's show? What about TNN completely cutting off the bottom of the screen with a black bar that usually just tells you what you're already watching? Or how about MTV's various explosions of graphics coming at you from all over the screen, or whenever they miraculously play a real video the text title and credits are massive? Or how about stations like VH1 where their logo never disappears and isn't transparent?

Some of these stupid graphics take up 1/6th of the image and all just so they can continue to annoy you with 16 minutes per hour of advertising! I remember when I thought the translucent FOX logo on the Simpsons was kinda annoying, now I long for the days when it was just that simple. We already have to suffer though 1/4th of our viewing time with commercials, why must they submit us to commercials during the other 3/4ths of the time?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

The TIVO effect. They're figuring us out. God help us all.
    -`,,``,,``
    Who are you?
    Why are you?
    What do you want?

The TIVO effect
    hmmm.........

1. QLD has an x-box
    12" lando has an x-box

2. QLD has a tivo
    12" lando has a tivo

3. QLD lives in georgia
    12" lando lives in georgia

4. QLD thinks billy dee williams rules
    12" lando thinks bily dee williams rules

...............is there a pattern here????

Originally posted by derek
    hmmm.........

1. QLD has an x-box
    12" lando has an x-box

2. QLD has a tivo
    12" lando has a tivo

3. QLD lives in georgia

"now there are two of them!"

I WISH they were the same person, it's bad enough trying to handle just one of them.
    Crazy Georgians.

JT, the Joe Millionaire flyer was the limit for me - it's completely offensive. Oh, the cars with effects are bad, too.

How long as it been since the networks started using the "bugs" on the screen? I remember it pretty well, I think it was within the last 10 years.

Anyway, I remember HATING the presence of the network logos, they were incredible eyesores. Likewise, I would embrace the return of the "subtle" one of yesteryear.

Originally posted by derek
    hmmm.........

1. QLD has an x-box
    12" lando has an x-box

2. QLD has a tivo
    12" lando has a tivo

3. QLD lives in georgia

YES and they have VERY similar names........ .........

Yea they do get annoying, but with my enlightened sense of the world's economy, I accept it and respect it.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

I can't stand those little pop-up adds on TV shows. I also yhink the logos in the bottom right hand corner annoy the crap outta me. I want to see the whole picture. It isn't ESPN where at least scores have something to do with what we are watching.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

HDTV = more screen space.

The vast majority of programming is still shot in 4:3. So, theoretically, if and when "widescreen" televisions become the norm, there will be ton of space left over when they air older re-runs. Think of it, you'll be watching Leave It To Beaver in Spanish on the left side of the screen while the Home Shopping Network flashes a constant stream of memorabilia on the right that you can order with one click of an integrated mouse.

Ahh, the future.

It could be worse. I read that in Turkenistan, a profile of their dictator is always in the bottom right corner of the screen, on all channels.
    Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis

Yea they do get annoying, but with my enlightened sense of the world's economy, I accept it and respect it
    scruffy,.......as long as you keep those pallets of toys off the sales floor, you and QLD will get along just fine!

YEAH!!!!!!!! NO PALLETS ON THE SALES FLOOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And as much as he might wish it true, 12" Lando and I are not the same person. In fact, he first introduced me to SSG in 99, back when I was known as Obi-Wan Jabroni, and he was AdiGallia. Also, I came up with his current name, one Saturday Night drinking at dinner I do believe. I have a knack for coming up with silly, stupid names (ex. mine).

However, he is my best friend, and we do think similarly, which is why we are good friends. And when he brings a new gadget like a Tivo home, I can't HELP but copy and get one too. He researches things a lot more, and I impulse buy. So it works out well. Plus, EVERYONE should love LANDO!

And how did you remember that I have a Tivo? I don't even remember mentioning it on here.

On the Tivo note, I read an article a few months back that said networks were very worried about digital recorders, and the way they let people effortlessly skip commercials. They were/are trying to develop ways that would FORCE us to watch their ads, no matter what.

One thing they are going to start doing more of it product placements. You'll see a lot more "You're watching Pepsi's presentation of 24. Brought to you by Pepsi Blue, it's blue because it tastes like toilet water".

And you'll see Jack Bower downing lots of Pepsi Blue during the show (though we know it will be replaced with Kool-Aid) while fighting terrorists in his Ford Expedition, while talking on his Cingular Wireless phone, wearing his Tommy Jeans, and listening to the new Mariah Carey CD.

Also, I expect the pop-ups, graphics, ad bar, etc. etc. to get a LOT worse before it gets better.
    "Roger Nasty Butler!"