Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SW makes Premiere Magazine's top 100 moments

I saw this in the latest issue of Premiere yesterday at the grocery store. In the list of the Top 100 Moments in Film, the classic trilogy scored not once, but twice.

[These are how I remember them, not how they're worded.]
    #24: "No. I am your father." (from ESB)
    #8: "Wahoo! You're all clear, kid! Now let's blow this thing and go home!!"

Okay, accolades aside, what sort of crack are these fellows smoking? My fianc&eacutee didn't even remember #8 (and she spends most of her time with a somewhat scary SW geek ), but even the Unabomber would know #24! That's one of the most memorable scenes in film, ever, period.

I also think the death of Vader should've charted, albeit probably much lower in the overall picture. And what about the ever-classic "I love you"/"I know" bit from ESB? Or Luke's training on Dagobah in general?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I think Vader should have been at least number 8. I don't think Han should be that high up if there at all. There are alot of other memorable scenes that could have been listed. Yoda for example....Try there is no try . Either you do or you do not.(probably not verbatum but close). That is rule #8 in life.(at least to me
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Wow! I'm surprised Obi-Wan's "Use the Force Luke" or Vader's "The Force is strong with this one" didn't make it. I don't know how many times I've heard those lines used in other movies and tv shows. I don't think I've ever heard Hans line outside of SW. I will say the Vader line from ESB is the most memorable....period!

Lightbulb

Most memorable SW lines (if I weren't a SW fan):
    "Use the Force, Luke."
    "May the Force Be With You."
    "No, I am your father."
    "I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi like my father."
    "He will join us or die, my master."
    "Your father's lightsaber."

Most memorable SW lines (for dummies):
    "Huh? Oh, the uniform."
    "It sounds like 'Han'."
    "Nothing. Just top gassing."
    "Hey! What're you trying to pull?"
    "Can you reach my lightsaber?"
    "It's a hat."

Movie people aren't people at all; they're ticket stubs on steriods.
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
    Movie people aren't people at all; they're ticket stubs on steriods.
    What the heck are "steriods?" j/k

Seriously though, you should put that in your sig.

You forgot Han"Hey, it's me!!"
    and "I'd just assume to kiss a wookie.", Leia
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

and how about: "I've got a bad feeling about this."

Was there ever any explanation on why this line was used so much?
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".

Originally posted by mini-rock
    What the heck are "steriods?" j/k

Seriously though, you should put that in your sig.
    Caught me. Must be all the steriods I took as a high school All-American defensive lineman. Is there a BSLOS related to movies?
    How 'bout this:
    "New movie's showin', so you're goin',
    could care less about the five you're blowin'."

I was going to put in the "IHABFAT" (or "IGABFAT" ) line, but that's more a SW fan line than a regular movie-goer one. Why was it included? Could it be that Lucas had a bad feeling his film would flop, then kept it in the other movies as an in-your-face-movie-executives comment?
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

#8 there is a fantastic scene and really turns that sequence into a great moment, but "memorable" is not how I'd think of it for the general population. If they had said "Luke & Leia swing to freedom across the Death Star chasm" or "Luke's entry of the Mos Eisley cantina", then yeah I'd buy that, but not the Falcon blazing out of the sun into the rescue, it's not that strong in the collective psyche I think.

Mini-rock, I think Vader's "I am your father" may be the most memorable line in cinema history to date, even moreso than "Frankly Miss Scarlet, I don't give a hoot!" (GWTW:Nifty Edition ) and "Open the pod bay doors, HAL", but I'm not sure if it's the most memorable MOMENT in cinema. I think some cinematic scenes out there may have less memorable lines but are more memorable in general... although to be honest, I'm kinda blanking on what they would be.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

With that Vader line, have you noticed that most people seem to quote it inaccurately?
    It's always said as "Luke, I am your father."

Last weekend at the theater while sitting through their pre-show "entertainment" they showed a famous quotes list and had "Luke, I am your father." Now come on, it's one thing for the general population to slightly misquote that line, but if you're printing it in quotes as a trivia piece . . . well you've got to get it right!