Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Weird Al

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Come out to Cali and get FOUR DAYS of Al!
    I saw him many a year ago at the Perris Fair in... Lake Perris, CA. It was great. Fans chanted "Yo-da" ... "Yo-da" ... "Yo-da" for an encore, but alas, no such luck.
    Well, I caught him at the same venue last night, and this time is was more better (yeah, you heard I ). Here's the song list rundown, as near as I can recall (* = slightly or significantly abridged versions) :

Fun Zone (this was playing as the concert began)
    Opened with: Polkarama (newest polka collection from S.O.L. album)

Various songs (don't remember the order):
    Canadian Idiot
    I'm in Love with the Skipper (I'd never heard this one before... creepy )
    You're Pitiful (finally heard this one, Al was wearing an "Atlantic Records Sucks" t-shirt)
    Confessions Part III
    Do I Creep You Out? *
    Eat It
    Smells Like Nirvana
    eBay *
    Prett Fly for a Rabbi
    Gump *
    Saga Begins, The
    Yoda
    Bedrock Anthem
    Complicated Song, A *
    Ode to a Superhero
    Trapped in the Drive-Thru *
    Amish Paradise
    White and Nerdy

Closed with: Fat (no encore, Springfield).

(Spatula City, Weasel Stomping Day were played on the screens at times when they needed to change the set, as well as interview clips from Al TV and Al's appearances on Simpsons/Spy Hard/King of the Hill)

Awesome time. Not many hardcore fans, but it was a cool-but-not-cold night with a nice mood to the crowd.
    "That's what Sheev said."

I realized that they also played a shortened and updated "Headline News" (I think Lindsay Lohan was the subject, or any other rehabbing celebri-not). Here's a pic of the band doing "The Saga Begins," in their usual SW style garb.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WeirdAl10-10-07f+.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	16173  

I realized that they also played a shortened and updated "Headline News" (I think Lindsay Lohan was the subject, or any other rehabbing celebri-not). Here's a pic of the band doing "The Saga Begins," in their usual SW style garb.
    When I saw Al back in July he did the opening verse to "Headline News" and mentioned Paris Hilton.

Yeah, this is probably more of a TV section topic, but hey, Al trumps all.

Quote Originally Posted by weirdal.com
    AL ON THE SIMPSONS... AGAIN!
    Al is making a return cameo appearance on The Simpsons - yay! The episode - "That 90's Show" - will air Sunday, January 27.
    I wonder if he's on it as a serious artist.

He's also voicing Wreck-Gar in the new Transformers Animated series. (In case you don't know, this show has a lot of homages to the earlier incarnations. Al voicing a character named after the one whose theme song was "Dare to Be Stupid" is undoubtedly one of said homages.)
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Listening to Dare to Be Stupid right now. Some musings:

- Al predicted some disturbing trends in our culture now (in "Girls Just Want have Lunch" he mentions 'some girls like driving trucks and wearing tatoos' that's not really disturbing I guess just different, and in "Cable TV" he gets to watch MTV [who does that anymore? ] while he's driving, a dangerous activity that's acceptible today)

- Johnny Dangerously was an underrated movie, in the vein of Airplane! or Top Secret! and the theme song "This is the Life" is pretty cool

- I finally "get it" in the pretty dumb "I Want a New Duck" song when Al mentions that his new duck will help him "how to get down; get it?"

- I miss cartoons like George of the Jungle, Penelope Pitstop (was that the title, or just the character name?), or Tom Slick.

Listening to Dare to Be Stupid right now. Some musings:
    I was a little confused on the Behind the Music episode about Weird Al when someone from Devo was upset about that song after having approved of it at first. I wasn't sure if he was being serious or not, or what his complaint was.

- I finally "get it" in the pretty dumb "I Want a New Duck" song when Al mentions that his new duck will help him "how to get down; get it?"
    Get down, like Disco Duck right?

- I miss cartoons like George of the Jungle, Penelope Pitstop (was that the title, or just the character name?), or Tom Slick.
    I think she was in more than one cartoon. There was the one where she was one of many racers, I think it was Wacky Racers, but I'd have to look it up. I'm pretty sure there was a Perils of Penelope Pitstop though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Slanted Powers View Post
    Get down, like Disco Duck right?
    That's what I used to think. I believe it's actually referring to the "down" feathers of a duck.

I found this on wikipedia.

Shortly after the song was released, Yankovic received a letter from Mark Mothersbaugh congratulating him on writing "the perfect Devo song". He has also said that it was "beautiful... and I hate him for it, basically."
    So, I guess he was just upset that Al did a better Devo song than they did.

One compilation I'd like to see is an entire CD of nothing but his polka medleys. That would be AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**