Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Weird Al

I thought the songs he picked for the Angry White Boy Polka were perfect. He used the music of the nu metal and rap/rock bands, which I was hoping he'd include on this album somehow. My first listen through I heard songs by Limp Bizkit, Staind, Eminem, Disturbed, POD, System of a Down, Rage Against the Machine, and Kid Rock. I also recognized the lyrics where he's singing "I'm gonna get free," but I can't name the band, because it's one of those Vines/Hive/Stripes/etc groups, who I cannot distinguish. Besides those, there were quite a few lines I couldn't tell where they originated from. I liked the selection he picked, but I mostly listen to the radio stations that play rock music, so those groups have all had lots of air time in the past few years, mainly 2000-2002. If you don't listen to rock radio, then I can see why maybe, such as in LIMP's case, you wouldn't recognize the originals.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

Re: Finally got it!

Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos

In 3-D was one of the best! "Nature Trail to Hell"? "I Lost on Jeopardy"? "Midnight Star"? C'mon, El C! I can't believe you'd not agree with my own personal opinions and be your own individual with your own ideas!
    Oh absolutely!!!!

Midnight Star is one of his best originals ever!!!!!!!
    I love to sing it outloud when I am working the stock at Wal Mart.
    When one of the songs that Al has parodied comes over the radio, I sing his version, it's great

Poodle Hat I would say is an overall better album than most of his albums as far as filler goes. Alot of his albums have one or 2 songs on it that you would just rather do without, (My Baby is in Love with Eddie Vedder, Airline Amy, She never Told Me She Was a Mime). None of the songs on Poodle Hat I feel this way about. The only problem is, it has the least energy of his albums. The songs are put together nicely, lyrics are clever as ever, but it just seems like he is starting to get weary of doing what he is doing. I mean after 20 years I would be. Party At The Leper Colony would be an incredible song if it was more upbeat like "Stuck In A Closet With Vanna White" or "I remember Larry". But like the Metallica albums, you really can't say you have a least favorite.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

"Angry White Boy Polka" has, if I'm correct:
    Papa Roach "Last Resort" ['Wish somebody would tell me I'm fine...' ]
    Kid Rock "Bawiddabah" (sp?) ['Bawiddabah a bangadang biddy diggy diggy...' ]
    System of a Down "Chop Suey!" ['Why'd you put your keys upon the table?/You wanted to...' ]
    Limp Bizkit "My Way" ['I'm a do things my way, my way or the highway...' ]
    P.O.D. "Youth of the Nation" ['We are, we are, the youth of the nation...' ]
    Eminem "The Real Slim Shady" ['Please stand up, please stand up...' ]
    Rage Against the Machine "Renegades of Funk" ['We're the renegades of funk...' ]
    The Strokes "Last Night" ['Last night, she said, oh baby don't feel so down...' ]
    The White Stripes "Fell in Love With a Girl" ['I said it once before, but it bears repeating...' ]
    Disturbed "Down With the Sickness" ['Ooh, wah ahahah...' ]
    Stained "Outside" ['Cause inside you're ugly, ugly like me...' ]
    The Hives "Hate to Say I Told You So" ['Be ignored by the stiff and the bored cause I wanna...' ]

I could be wrong; like James Boba Fettfield, the White StrokeHives are the same group to me. But see what I mean about the awful lyrics?
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

But see what I mean about the awful lyrics?
    Polka Your Eyes Out was a good one, all because of these lyrics Al chose to include: Exit light, enter night, take my hand, we're off to Never, Never Land.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

Ya know, the list of songs in the Polka is in the liner notes.

Last Resort - Papa Roach
    Chop Suey! - System Of A Down
    Get Free - The Vines
    Hat To Say I Told You So - The Hives
    Fell In love With A Girl - White Stripes
    Lst Nite - The Strokes
    Down With The Sickness - Disturbed
    Renegades Of Funk - Rage Against The Machine
    My Way - Limp Bizkit
    Outside - Staind
    Bawidaba - Kid Rock
    Youth Of The Nation - P.O.D.
    The Real Slim Shady - Eminem

"I have a whole colony of people living in my beard."

Originally posted by jedicrippler
    Ya know, the list of songs in the Polka is in the liner notes.

True, but did it include some lyrics from those songs and artists? See, I provide the extras that Mr. Big Shot Yankovic seems to think are unnecessary.

p.s. I was listening to my "Off the Deep End" tape today, and it has an error! (It will be on sale on eBay in a few seconds) On the outside, the title of the song is listed as "Don't You Love me Anymore" instead of the correct title (which is printed with the lyrics inside) of "You Don't Love Me Anymore." Do I hear "minimum bid $7,000?
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

True, but did it include some lyrics from those songs and artists? See, I provide the extras that Mr. Big Shot Yankovic seems to think are unnecessary.
    No lyrics needed, as the songs are listed in the order they appear in the polka.
    "I have a whole colony of people living in my beard."

Bel-Cam, I cannot believe you didn't include "Good Enough for Now" in your top fourteen!

"Well, I couldn't live a single day without you
    Actually, on second thought, well, I suppose I could
    Anyway, what I'm trying to say is honey, you're the greatest
    Well, at any rate, I guess you're pretty good"

Brings me to tears every time.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I just bought the album saturday (13.99$ at Compact Disc World) and listend to it Sunday. here's my thoughts. It's not his best album
    Songs I liked
    1) Party at the Leper Colony. It's sick and twisted (like most of his songs) and is full of bad puns.
    2) Ode to a Superhero. Some of the lyrics could ahve been beter, but I love the chorus
    3 Bob I like this only because the words are so random and best of all they're palindromes

Songs I didn't like
    1)Genius in France. I'm not a Frank Zappa fan and I only know 1 song by him, but this song seemed too long. I stopped listening half way through
    2) Angry White Boy Polka. I guess it's because I don't listen to this type of music that I only recognized maybe 4 songs. Although I did like his version of Slim Shady
    3) Hardware Store I just didn't think it was funny
    4)Trash Day. See reasons for 2 and 3
    5) Couch Potato I just don't think this was one of his better parodys.

Songs I'm indifferent about
    1) A complicated song. It started out funny with constipated then both related was funny, but he lost it at decapitated. I'm sure if he checked his dictionary he could have found another word to use that would have been funnier.
    2)Wanna B Ur Lovr. Some great line and some stupid ones.
    3) Ebay Kind of funny, but I"ve never bought anything on Ebay.

JIm
    Ps Just to nitpick and correct me if I'm wrong, but Skeletal structure has nothing to do with someone being an ectomorh.
    Last edited by smurfvader; 05-28-2003 at 02:26 PM.

Thumbs down

It's been exactly three years:
    Originally posted at weirdal.com =
    ASK AL
    UPDATED
    6/1/00
    Your chance to ask Weird Al some questions!
    Thanks to all of you who've submitted Ask Al questions over the last few years. Unfortunately, we will be discontinuing the monthly Q&A for a little while, as Al's production and touring schedule currently leaves precious little time for anything else. Plus, frankly, even with the thousands and thousands of questions coming in every month, it's getting increasingly difficult to find good ones that haven't been answered before.
    (Underlining done by me) "For a little while"?!? Grr...

p.s. My new sig line gives props to Al, old school.