Upgrading my system!

I just bought more memory (I'm running PC 800 RDRAM) and plan on buying a new video card tomorrow.

I plan on buying a Radeon 8500DV All-in-Wonder, which comes with 64MB of DDR RAM.

Should I hold out for the 8500 All-in-Wonder with 128MB of DDR RAM? Is it really worth the extra $100.00 (plus shipping)?

I'm not a big gamer, but I plan on doing a lot of video work, DVD editing and authoring along with VHS conversion to DVD. Mostly amature stuff, videos of the baby, that sort of thing.

But this may turn into a bigger hobby. I also want to integrate my computer with my home video and audio system.

Any input would be nice, JJB (your the big DVD nut here)? Anyone?
    May the force be with you.

Re: Upgrading my system!

Originally posted by sith_killer_99
    I just bought more memory (I'm running PC 800 RDRAM) and plan on buying a new video card tomorrow.

I plan on buying a Radeon 8500DV All-in-Wonder, which comes with 64MB of DDR RAM.

Should I hold out for the 8500 All-in-Wonder with 128MB of DDR RAM? Is it really worth the extra $100.00 (plus shipping)?

I'm not a big gamer, but I plan on doing a lot of video work, DVD editing and authoring along with VHS conversion to DVD. Mostly amature stuff, videos of the baby, that sort of thing.

But this may turn into a bigger hobby. I also want to integrate my computer with my home video and audio system.

Any input would be nice, JJB (your the big DVD nut here)? Anyone?
    I bought the 8500DV some time back and really liked what it could do even with just 64MB RAM. But at the same time, I also upgraded my entire system with a new motherboard and a 2.0 GHz P4 processor. I only put in 512 MB RAM because I was spending so much on everything else, but honestly, it hasn't been an issue. Oh, I also put on WinXP. And I use RAMTurbo, which helps out when I really tax the system.

However, I ended up pulling the video card out in favor of the Radeon 9000 something board because it supports dual monitors which is something I need more than the benefits of the 8500DV. So to make up for the loss of video capture off the video card, I rely on the built-in firewire on the motherboard (SOYO Firedragon) and I bought the DAZZLE DVD Creation Station 200 which allows analog capture.

As far as CAPTURE goes, this is working out very well. I desperately wanted to keep the 8500DV though as it captured flawlessly for the short time I had it.

What did suck though was the editing software that came with the Creation Station. On a gut feeling, I bought the Screenblast Video Factory 2.0 at CompUSA. The interface is the most professional one I've found at home video prices. The drag is that the Creation Station will only capture with the program that came in the box. Not a huge deal. I just capture MPEG 2 files then import them into the Screenblast library and off I go.

Due to unfortunate tech support with ATI (complicated story I won't get into) I'm stuck with the 8500DV ($200) that I can't return. So I'm either hoping to find someone who wants it or I'll hang on to it for the day when I have room to dedicate a separate machine just for editing. But by that time, I may just break down and buy a Final Cut Pro system.

That's my story anyway. If I was to offer any real advice, it would be to get the best capture device you can. I've tested about 4 or 5 and most suck big time. Dropped frames seem to be the biggest problem. It's all about the capture. If your capture is crap, the result will be crap.

Then find an editing program that's functional and really easy to use without the gimmicky home user stuff. I'll go out on a limb and recommend that Screenblast software.

All things considered, it sounds like you want to do what I'm trying to do with my system. As far as sound goes, I'm currently using the integrated 5.1 surround from the motherboard. This enables me to run my three speaker computer speakers in the office and run two channels out to the living room. I've become a big fan of the computer jukebox idea, so I use RealOne all the time.

Good luck!

i run an athlon system at 1.13Ghz with the radeon all-in-wonder 7500... it's really great! especially the tivo function. i really don't think you need to go the extra length and get the 128 mb vram, though... 64 is even enough for most "big gamers"... the big question is, how fast is your processor... the system will only be as fast as it's weakest link...
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope