Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

C-3PO And The Conveyor Belt...

I do realize that this could be posted under the "Illogical Moments" thread, but I couldn't find the argument about this one (it's probably in there, but that's a lot of text ). I have, however, seen this is on other forums and threads recently - so I hope this doesn't get merged right off...

I have heard that people are either upset, or just didn't like the fact that 3PO's body just somehow managed to find the only open spot on the conveyor belt. That it was stupid and/or convenient that that's how it happened.
    Well, I would like to offer that 3PO didn't just happen to find an open spot there, but rather that he knocked the droid out of the way.
    I just recently watched my Episode 2 DVD twice in a row and both times, I distinctly saw C-3PO knock into a battle droid. It was in the right hand part of the screen, but I saw it twice. And it just looked too close to be the shoulder segment of the droid that was next in line...
    I paid close attention to this part because of the things people were saying about it. I could be wrong, but what I see is the droid being pushed out of the way - you just don't see the whole thing being moved...

End...
    They call them fingers, and yet they don't fing. Noodle that one for a while.
    "Logic dictates we haul @$$." - Mego Spock from Twisted Toyfare Theater; Issue #59

I just kind of hate the whole deal, I mean why would Artoo push him off in the first place, what, is he trying to get him killed? He has to know 3PO doesn't have boosters. Just roll by him and let 3PO stay on the ship. The whole 3PO becoming a battle droid thing just seemed like a cheap excuse to include 3PO in E2. He served no purpose other than to say stupid things like, "It's a nightmare!". Well, how does a droid have nightmares?
    Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis

I found the whole thing to be "cute"...amusing. It brought a smile to my face with most of what 3PO was doing. Especially the lines in the arena: "This is such a drag" and, "I'm beside myself." They're not meant to be serious, but again, it made me smile a bit. It was just supposed to be a bit of fun....

End...
    They call them fingers, and yet they don't fing. Noodle that one for a while.
    "Logic dictates we haul @$$." - Mego Spock from Twisted Toyfare Theater; Issue #59

Now, "what a drag" and "beside myself" were funny, I like "bad" puns like that. Maybe it's the very animated look during the "nightmare" comment that I don't like, you can tell 3po is majorly cgi when that big stupid looking robot is carrying him.
    Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis

I hate that scene, and I hate Threepio's goofy lines in the arena. I just hate Threepio overall - I don't like him in the OT, I don't care for him either way in TPM, and I just despise his presence in AOTC.
    There are other things I don't like about AOTC, but the Threepio gubbins is the only thing I actually hate.

Re: C-3PO And The Conveyor Belt...

Originally posted by Lman316
    I do realize that this could be posted under the "Illogical Moments" thread, but I couldn't find the argument about this one (it's probably in there, but that's a lot of text ). I have, however, seen this is on other forums and threads recently - so I hope this doesn't get merged right off...

I have heard that people are either upset, or just didn't like the fact that 3PO's body just somehow managed to find the only open spot on the conveyor belt. That it was stupid and/or convenient that that's how it happened.
    Well, I would like to offer that 3PO didn't just happen to find an open spot there, but rather that he knocked the droid out of the way.
    I just recently watched my Episode 2 DVD twice in a row and both times, I distinctly saw C-3PO knock into a battle droid. It was in the right hand part of the screen, but I saw it twice. And it just looked too close to be the shoulder segment of the droid that was next in line...
    I paid close attention to this part because of the things people were saying about it. I could be wrong, but what I see is the droid being pushed out of the way - you just don't see the whole thing being moved...

End...
    Funny, I posted the same thing in the Classic Trilogy section last night. Great minds.

Regarding the scene I remember everyone in the theater laughing their arses off during that. I did see this one "large" man wearing a bath robe (it was supposed to be a Jedi robe) and holding a Qui-Gon Jinn lightsaber, put his head in his hands during those scenes like the 5th time I saw AOTC. Not everyone is going to like all parts of these movies, and that's cool. I liked it though, and still do, just like Jar Jar Binks at the end of TPM.

"No givin up General Jar Jar. Meesa thinka somthing." - Tarpals

"Hands up!" - Battledroid

"My give up. My give up." - Jar Jar

Still cracks me up everytime.
    Last edited by mini-rock; 02-24-2003 at 07:11 PM.

Originally posted by Fulit
    Now, "what a drag" and "beside myself" were funny, I like "bad" puns like that. Maybe it's the very animated look during the "nightmare" comment that I don't like, you can tell 3po is majorly cgi when that big stupid looking robot is carrying him.
    There's nothing at all wrong with comedy within a story. But the way it's done can either make the moment or ruin it. The comedy should arise from the inherent flow of the story. It shouldn't be forcefully concocted in order to go for the cheap and easy laugh.

Case in point, Han's line in ESB. After he slices open the Tauntaun, he says, "I thought these smelled bad...on the outside." I can still hear the chuckles resounding through the audience. That's a prime example of humor which arose from both the inherent nature of the character and naturally from the logical action of the story.

Far different is the AOTC scenario of Threepio's head getting lopped off for no reason, him just happening to get in the proper place in line in a droid factory at the precise place where heads are assembled...all for what? So that the character could utter those easy jokes 10 minutes later.

Yeah, funny. ha ha.

Originally posted by Fulit
    Now, "what a drag" and "beside myself" were funny, I like "bad" puns like that.
    Yeah, that was classic.

The whole scene was tacked on at the last moment, right? That's what I remember Lucas & co saying on the DVD.

The only thing I really didn't like about the 3PO/BD switch was the over-the-top way 3PO gets the body switch. It was just too much and way too CG. 3PO didn't need to get knocked off and go on his mini-adventure just to get on the conveyor belt - it took too much of my attention away from the other stuff and had too light a payoff.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Originally posted by JediTricks
    The whole scene was tacked on at the last moment, right? That's what I remember Lucas & co saying on the DVD.
    Yeah, the entire droid factory section was added later after Lucas saw the cool designs for the factory from the one shot where Obi-Wan looks down and sees it while spying on Geonosis.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.