Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Lightbulb The Original Trilogy Apparently Sucked

Well, it's finally happening. It's no secret that I and a few others who hang around these parts haven't been so enamored with the Prequels. Opinions are opinions, no one is telling anyone else to like something or not. So that's not the issue, so please don't take it that way.

So what's going on? At first, our negative comments about the Prequels were met with a hearty volley of defensive rebuttal suggesting that the Prequels were in fact written and made very well and were every bit as good as the Original Trilogy films.

Well, that tactic didn't work so well as most of us haven't changed our minds and I've also seen some recent "converts" who have begun to see the light, as it were.

In any case, there's a new tactic in town that I'm finding to be really interesting. It's the suggestion that for all the superficialness and convenience one can point out in the Prequels, an equal serving can be shown to exist in the Original Trilogy. Put another way, this new tact rather admits that the Prequels have significant flaws and says that the Original Trilogy isn't that great either.

Here's a quick example, though it's not the only one: http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums...894#post225894

Maybe I'm reading this wrong. Maybe we've all been too willing to look past the obvious defects (Parsecs, the Falcon getting to Cloud City without hyperdrive, etc) that make the Original Trilogy films empirically a poorly written story so full of contrivances as to make it fit for a Razzie too. Maybe not. I don't know.

So I guess the topic of this thread is: What's wrong with the Original Trilogy? Based on this new line of reasoning, it sucks too. Let's tear it apart!

Frankly you really have no need to refer to choosing one trilogy over the other as "choosing the light" cause they're just opinions, and while I'm more of a fan of the OT, people just like the PT over all.

Anyways, I don't refer to the OT as flawless as it does have quite a few errors such as in ESB when Luke falls through the vent shaft, the weather vane is prone to easy damage being next to the vent drop point, and considering where it is it could be very inconvient to fix so it makes little sense as to why they would put it there in the first place.

*shrugs* Can't we all just get along, kiddo? :happy:
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Originally posted by LTBasker
    Frankly you really have no need to refer to choosing one trilogy over the other as "choosing the light" cause they're just opinions, and while I'm more of a fan of the OT, people just like the PT over all.

Anyways, I don't refer to the OT as flawless as it does have quite a few errors such as in ESB when Luke falls through the vent shaft, the weather vane is prone to easy damage being next to the vent drop point, and considering where it is it could be very inconvient to fix so it makes little sense as to why they would put it there in the first place.

*shrugs* Can't we all just get along, kiddo? :happy:
    I was afraid this would be taken the wrong way.

I'm not out for a fight and in this thread, I'm not taking sides or asking anyone else to. It's just been suggested that there are a cadre of problems with the OT, and as I've been accused of being infected with Original Trilogy Worship disease in the past, I don't think that I'm qualified to fairly judge either sets of films.

I'm just looking for a list of OT problems.

I'll start:

1.) How could the Falcon have gotten to Cloud City without a Hyperdrive! Clearly a silly contrivance.

2.) Leia is Luke's sister?! That's just too convenient. Silly.

3.)

4.)

5.)

It's just that easy! Help me fill in the blanks. Thanks!

I'll play along...just don't get me started on the bad dialog, and acting in the OT's...

The falcon making an attack run on the star destroyer, yet can stop on a dime and attach itself to the hull of the star destroyer without making a sound...

At the end of ESB when luke, leia, lando and chewie are on the frigate and looking down onto the spiral armed galaxy...what the hell...it was a cool shot, but when you look at the star wars maps, they are in 1 galaxy and it sure didn't look like a solar system...

Ok, there's no air is outter space, and its a vacuume, yet you can hear explosions, ships smouldered and burned...now if I remember my physics right...this is a no no.

large floating metal trash in the trash compactor...

Okay, here's one that's always bugged me: Why do X-Wing starfighters need jet engines? I'm sure there's an EU explanation, but the designers 20 years ago gave them jet engines, and that's all there is to it.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Originally posted by tjovonovich
    The falcon making an attack run on the star destroyer, yet can stop on a dime and attach itself to the hull of the star destroyer without making a sound...
    I've often thought why the people whose window was now blocked by a space ship that's attached recently to the outer hull didn't call someone.

<ring> <ring>

Commander: "Hello, this is the Command Deck."

Officer: "Yeah, hello. Um, I don't know what's going on up there but I just had a ship plant itself right on my window. Could you possibly send someone out there to pull it off as I'd rather not stare at this ugly hullplating."

Commander: "There's a ship on your window?"

Officer: "Yeah, I was sitting here minding my own business when this thing just Plopped itself right on my window."

Commander: "What does it look like?"

Officer: "Heck, I don't know. All I can see is its gray hull plating........Wait, I can almost make out some writing........it says.....llenium Falco."

Commander: "Llenium Falco?"

Officer: "Yup, that's what it says."

Commander: "Huh, that name doesn't sound familiar. We'll send someone out there to take a look."

Officer: "Great! Do you think you could also turn turn the heat up a ....<click>....Hello?

Commander: "Hey, any of you guys ever heard of a ship called the Llenium Falco?"
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Originally posted by El Chuxter
    Okay, here's one that's always bugged me: Why do X-Wing starfighters need jet engines? I'm sure there's an EU explanation, but the designers 20 years ago gave them jet engines, and that's all there is to it.
    Jet engines? I just assumed those 4 engines on the X-Wings were multi-purpose propulsion engines. Good in all climates, atmospheres and gravities. Assuming that they were jet engines, the would be/could be used for flight in a planets atmosphere such as when they left Yavin for the Death Star. Perhaps?
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

heh, heh, heh...that's pretty good.

Falco - the man who did Rock Me Amadaus....

I don't understand why you would want to do any of this. To the OT or the PT. Aren't these movies we all love? Aren't these movies the ones who have brought us joy for 25+ years? Aren't these movies the seed that has grown into a world phenom? Why tear it apart? Why insult them? Why why why why?

Are we looking for logic? Are any of us hear Vulcans? Do we look for logic in our own real lifes? I do to a point, but certainly not in every single situation.

So there are flaws, errors, and inconsistancies. So what, these same things exist in real life. Why is it important to point them out and insult the movies. It's not as if the movies or even GL boast that they are perfect. He's not poping up on every talk show and saying "Aren't my movies perfect. Didn't I do a good job. I really wrote a flawless movie." No of course he's not. He knows probally better than any of us that these errors and what not are there. He'll in the PT he may of put some in just to **** guys like your lott off.

I am sorry, but I do not see the reason or the fun to point out the flaws of these movies. There is so much more that can be drawn from them. So many lessons that can be learned, and yet you guys do nothing but point out the bad parts.

Can you spell pessimistic or its many synonmns?
    If you want to find it you have to shop.

When Luke went to strike the Emperor down and Vader stopped him, Vaders saber is in front of Lukes not behind How is that possible?
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten