Unhappy UK Collectors: Found/ bought anything in 2003?

I contacted my nearest TRU who said they were getting some new Star Wars merchandise on Wednesday 26th February. I've been in every day since and nothing! The staff have been busily re-stocking other toy lines but no new SW, the pegs are empty!

Is it the store manager in my local TRU who doesn't give a stuff, or is this a common experience?

I gave up on buying from Toys R Us after the first time I bought from them, they put those stupid metallic security stickers on them and they are impossible to remove without ripping the card and considering I am collecting them it isnt helpful, I only buy from fairs/online or the entertainer which seem to only put on easy to remove price tags.

At the moment I have finished the basic figures and have all the deluxe ones releases so far and 3 of the new 2003 saga line.

I went to TRU again today, and again nothing, so against my frugal judgement I contacted an independent shop who could get me Padme (Droid Factory Chase), Mace Windu (Total Control), Obi-Wan, Library Droids, Tusken Raider and Destroyer Droid delivered to my door the next day. It is pricier but I haven't bought anything new now for 5 months since I bought Ephant Mon and Clone Trooper Pilot back in early October, which I bought from the same independent shop.

They said they would have Anakin w/swoopbike and Dooku on his speeder on Monday, with Lama Su, Barriss Offee, Aayla Secura, Boba Fett and R2 D2 by the end of next week.

Shame on TRU!

I bought Padme, the Analysis Droids & the Tusken from Forbidden Planet; have picked-up early previews of Aayla, both Imperial Officers & one Rebel Fleet Trooper; and bought Anakin (SC) & Lama Su on eBay.
    I've also received my pre-ordered Shuttle from R2DToys, although I've seen it on the shelves of FP too.

Haven't seen anything new at my nearest TRU for about 7 months - haver practically given up looking there.

(If this thread goes missing, it'll probably have been moved to the Just Found (UK) section...)
    "Afterlife, aftershave - don't hold with any of it!" - Sir Henry Rawlinson.

Okay, well The Entertainer / Thetoyshop.com seem to be coming through for us lately - with Acklays appearing on their shelves, and BOGOF offer as well. And there's also stuff appearing at Toymaster stores, as reported on the Private Universe last night.

Local 'collector' stores are getting stuf in, but it's a tenner a figure. I sometimes pick one up to have the experience of actually physically buying something. All this net purchasing and Ebay action just doesn't hold a torch to picking something up and paying for it over the counter!
    Look - I'm Princess Leia!

Apparently a Toymaster had Darth Tyranus GE in.
    Maybe Gamleys could have them as well
    Looks like the small shops such as Toymaster, Gamleys and The Entertainer may be the best high street places to go.
    Ireland rule!!!!!
    Next on List : Destroyer Droid (Arena Battle) ,Clone Trooper with Speeder bike, Geo Arena, Dooku Speeder, Aayla Secura (Jedi Knight), Barris Offee (Jedi Knight), Commerce Guild Spider Droid!!!!!

Yes, I've seen the Tyranus GE a few times at FP & other places too, but I've passed on it as I don't care much for the figure or its weapon. Ditto Obi-Wan.
    "Afterlife, aftershave - don't hold with any of it!" - Sir Henry Rawlinson.

How the figure looks doesnt matter to me as I am just collecting all the basic figures, what bugs me is the fact that I can get the new saga figures for 4 each from R2DToys and it is putting me off buying any from anywhere else considering some places like FB want double.

TRU near me don't put the security tags on anything I've ever bought apart from putting the tags inside the larger vehicle boxes but never stuck on to the packaging just slipped inside.

TRU has the stock in their warehouse they're just waiting for the audits to wind up. You'll probably not see much action until early april. But when I was last in the Chester TRU I asked someone who looked managerial and was told that although they were waiting for the new stocks to come in they hadn't left the warehouse but were definately in the country. It's just a waiting game. I'm prepared to wait it out and buy cheaper, there's no way i'm paying 10 a figure for basic figures. There's also no way I'll resort to EBAY either.

Let's also consider the Hasbro UK shake up. Nick rabin the brand manager has just been repleaced by some woman called Sam something or other and it's possible that things were put on hold for a while as the OFT investigation findings were sorted out regarding the price fixing thing. Now we have a new brand manager it's possible that things will start to gear up again although I suspect that the star wars presence in TRU will remain fairly limited. all the available goods but in smaller quantities than last year. And lets not forget that TRU is going through a rebrand identity crisis with the amount of toys for sale being reduced to fit different types of product into the stores like all the computer stuff and babiesRus stuff. I wouldn't say it's a hopeless and bleak future for star wars at TRU but then again it doesn't look briliiant either. My advice though would be to be patient and wait for the lower priced stuff.

Well, I bucked the trend and ordered a Sacul bundle - it arrived today and it's fab!!!

http://mysite.freeserve.com/jedipowe...94874802398556

http://mysite.freeserve.com/jedipowe...30666565221967

Big up to the Entertainer! I'm happy with the bundle on offer. It suits my needs and got me a Sacul. With our abandonment by TRU it's good to see some high street support in the UK!
    Last edited by gibbspaulus; 03-07-2003 at 10:21 AM.
    Look - I'm Princess Leia!