Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Was 'Nemesis' that bad?

Lately I've been reading about some die-hard Star Trek fans absolutly hating the 10th movie "Star Trek Nemesis". Saying that it ruined the characters and weak plot etc.

I really liked the movie. Is it possible that some fans are hurt because of the death of Data or the splitting of the crew? I'm sure I'm not alone in really liking the movie.

Thoughts?
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett

I was born a trekkie, but I did not like this movie. Data's death felt hollow and pointless... come to think of it, most of the film felt that way to me. I railed on this film in the Nemesis thread so that's pretty much all I have to say here I guess. I'm glad you liked it, but I can't say the same.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I thought it was great that they killed Data, but it felt cheap to have him "back" as the next android . . .

overall, I liked it - but I don't follow Trek TOO closely so I didn't notice most of (well, ANY of ) the continuity errors that people took offense to.

I'll definitely see another Trek film as long as it's based on TNG.

A one time Trek fanatic, I just couldn't bring myself to go see this film and that's a first for me. I might have liked it but who knows.
    -`,,``,,``
    Who are you?
    Why are you?
    What do you want?

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    It was okay. I was moved by Data's death. I don't believe it's the complete crapfest many are making it out to be. Star Trek has oversaturated the market with itself over the last five years and it's interesting-ness has waned for many people. That resulted in a low box office take, which people then translated into a crappy movie. Something that made the film not so good was the lack of any kind of impending danger that made for a poor climax. Sure, the "Earth was in danger!" but they were like hundreds of light years away! Maybe if they were in orbit and the Enterprise was the only chance anyone had, but I didn't get that last chance vibe from the movie.

I wasn't aware of any continuity problems, but I'm not a die-hard Trekkie. Anyone want to fill us in?
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

I just saw Nemesis this past weekend. I could care less that the crew is now split. What I hated was...

** SPOILER **

Oh look, we just so happen to be passing near this solar system and were just so happening to get a reading of another andriod. Let's go get it and put it together. Wow! Can you imagine? Dr. Sung made Data, then we found out he made Lore, and now he just so happened to make B-4. And Data just so happens to be the one who finds them. What a coincidence!
    "Smeeeeee....Heeeeeee...." -- Kryten 4000

I thought this movie was so so. I think the biggest problem with this one and even the last one is that they total forget about the 7 season that made this cast and crew a hit. I mean there is so much to pull from to make better stories, but they invent characters and planets and situations out of no where. Alot of this has to do with mainstreaming. They don't want a movie to revolve around a TV show that aired 8 years ago. Still, that can be solved by a simple "dreamback" or other explination.

There were a lot of problems with this movie and a lot of things that could have been done better.

I feel that they didn't leave it well. If in fact this does turn out to be the final voyage of Picard, then it will suck. I didn't like the way they left it, I didn't like the way everyone was broken up, and I didn't like the fact they the crew didn't have a proper fairwell. But that seems like the Star Trek way.
    If you want to find it you have to shop.

Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Jayspawn, none of the reaons you gave were why I didn't like the film. I didn't like it because it was poorly executed. I felt the whole film was choppy, and it was. The reason it was bad is because you had 2 peolpe working on the film that were completley opposite of each other. On one hand you have John Logan the script writer and a Trekkie. On the other hand you have Stewart Baird the director and a person who has never seen an episode of Trek. Do you really it's a good idea to do something like that? I know that Mirina Sitis was told to do something by the director that she felt was out of character for Troi. When she would try to do it the way Troi would the director would make her do it again until she did it his way.
    I also didn't care for Tom Hardy. Every one seems to think he was terrific as Picards clone, but I thought he was terrible. He doesn't look like Patrick and he didn't even try to "act" like Picard.
    Here's my review of the film
    http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums...357#post210357
    There was one thing I was corrected on regarding the film and that was that Shinzon set the trap of putting B-4 on the planet , but wasn't behind the aliens attacking Picard and crew.

Dr. Zoltar about this:

Oh look, we just so happen to be passing near this solar system and were just so happening to get a reading of another andriod. Let's go get it and put it together. Wow! Can you imagine? Dr. Sung made Data, then we found out he made Lore, and now he just so happened to make B-4. And Data just so happens to be the one who finds them. What a coincidence!
    Did you miss that Shinzon put B-4 there for Enterprise to find. And even if they didn't find him don't you think it would have wound up in the Enterprises hands anyway? I do feel this was stupid and done only because brent spiner wanted out. It would have been more interesting if B-4 was Lore instead.

JIm