Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Does anyone else not love LOTR

Am I the only one who doen't love the LOTR films? Although there are great things in the movies like the score, effects, cinematography, ect., there are also things not so great, like the story structure and editing. In each film there are too many stories being told simultaneously and incompletely. It also seems redundant because each story seems to be ultimately the same story--everyone is tempted by the ring's power; some resist, some don't. Even though there are spectacular battle scenes, the pacing is slow for the most part. The films seem more like fragments than chapters because individually, they're incomplete. I rather see one nine hour movie than see a third of a movie, wait a year, then a second third, then a final third a year after that. I think they should've divided the saga into more, individually complete chapters (maybe five). I never read The Hobbit, but maybe if they included it, it would be good. Overall, I consider the films good, but not great. Anybody else agree with any of this?
    "Dance your asteroids off..."

Re: Does anyone else not love LOTR

Originally posted by PoggleTheGreater
    Am I the only one who doen't love the LOTR films? Although there are great things in the movies like the score, effects, cinematography, ect., there are also things not so great, like the story structure and editing. In each film there are too many stories being told simultaneously and incompletely. It also seems redundant because each story seems to be ultimately the same story--everyone is tempted by the ring's power; some resist, some don't. Even though there are spectacular battle scenes, the pacing is slow for the most part. The films seem more like fragments than chapters because individually, they're incomplete. I rather see one nine hour movie than see a third of a movie, wait a year, then a second third, then a final third a year after that. I think they should've divided the saga into more, individually complete chapters (maybe five). I never read The Hobbit, but maybe if they included it, it would be good. Overall, I consider the films good, but not great. Anybody else agree with any of this?
    Yes, I agree. I still haven't figured what the hoopla is all about. The characters are flat and uninteresting. The conflict is clear as a bell, where good guys wear white and bad guys wear black. There are no subtleties at all anywhere in this story. I've never read the books, nor have I heard the ending, yet I'm willing to bet that I know that good will prevail and the little guy will destroy the ring in the end. The most interesting thing I've seen so far was the tree people. Something about them was inherently cool. I'd pay to see an entire film about their lives.

But as for the rest of it...

Yawn.

The tree people was also one of the things I liked best.
    "Dance your asteroids off..."

Whats not to like about hobbits who cry through the entire movie?

My only hope is that an Orc bites the head off of pippin in the next movie..
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Salsa Shark.. I think were gonna need a bigger boat..[/FONT]

I was very ho hum after FOTR......didn't find it anywhere near as exciting and incredible as everyone else seems to...

However, I quite enjoyed TTT...I found it a much tighter, more interesting film....

When I first saw it, I enjoyed it more than the EPS 1.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

I was kind of "Big Deal" after the first one too. Then I got a little deeper into the story, and the more times I saw it the more I liked it. It's a very deep story and can seem a bit dull. There is a lot going on and that is often hard to re-create in a movie.

I've read the first two books and they are great, however greatly different. They are put togeather differently and follow the story in a differnt mannor.

I love the movies and they are some of my favorite movies ever, but I can understand why you or anyone would fell that they are just so so.
    If you want to find it you have to shop.

Honestly...I have no idea how they are going to put together ROTK and keep it interesting for three hours......

I found the shire bit tedious, after what had come before it....

Ah well...guess we'll find out come winter.

i fell asleep three times through the first one.
    "I feel your lack of pants disturbing."

Overlord, from what i understand, the "Scouring of the Shire" part of ROTK has been cut out of the film. Let's not forget Shelob and how she was supposed to be in TTT and got cut for the beginning of ROTK. There is plenty that can be put in the film. I can't wait!!
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"