Question When will R2 get his due?

Now that special features might be dying at last...

We need a collector's grade R2-D2 figure at some point. While there is already a plethora of R2 figures out there, they all have features and gimmicks that annoy the user and retard the figure. Just once, I would like a modern sculpt of R2 that can retract its central leg, turn its head, and has no sound effects, no light pipe, no special anything. Just a quality sculpt of classic R2.

The "R2-D2 - Coruscant Sentry" figure from the AOTC line features a wonderful, quality sculpt on the main body and on parts of the dome. The lines are crisp and detailed. But it has that light up LED that distorts the color and shape of R2's main eye lens: the focal point of the figure's personality. Not to mention a hole in its head where the sound comes out, and that stupid alarm sound feature that goes with it. Even when you take the batteries out, you are left with an unnecessary screw visible in the figure's backside. Then too, this figure has no poseability. He can't retract his leg or turn his dome.

The "POTF COMMTECH R2-D2 with holo Leia" is fully poseable, but has a light pipe feature which spoils both the top of the dome and the main sensor eye. It is also weathered for tatooine, which limits the scenarios in which this figure can take part. And the sculpt of the droid body is less than crisp in the details, I think because of a different grade of plastic.

R3-T7, the preview figure for AOTC, features a great sculpt of the main sensor eye, the shiny black lens on the dome. ( Unlike R2-Q5, the imperial droid, which has a very weakly sculpted sensor eye. ) The rest of the dome however would not work as a sculpt for R2. The figure does however have dome and third leg articulation.

Surely there are more R2s coming down the pipe for the next and final movie; if not also for the "classics" line. At least one of these could be a definitive "clean" R2 lacking weathering and special features, eh?

That mold could then be used for other droids....
    Last edited by halcon orlus; 03-07-2003 at 01:15 PM.

I personally believe that all 3"-scale R2-D2 figures have been woefully substandard in the sculpting department. They have a general similarity to the droid, but when you compare a 3"-scale R2-D2 figure to a 12"-scale R2-D2, there's no question that the 3" one doesn't even come remotely close. The only 3"-scale R2 that's evern come close was Ep1 Booster Rockets R2 with painted dome details, and the figure's body and 3-legged stance weren't all that close.

Let's see some real-scan astromech droid figures, Hasbro's put out great-looking, accurate droids before, why not the most famous of all?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Perhaps next year when they make the new Jabba and focus a bit on his lair Hasbor will give us bartender R2.
    That would be great!!

I also want the bartender R2, high on my list.
    Hasbro, Wuher needs help, bring us Ackmena http://www.petitiononline.com/Ackmena/petition.html

Kenobi must be the Smith or Johnson of Tatooine

An R2-D2 with a perfect sculpt, retractable third leg, moving head and legs, and bartending tray, would be my dream.:happy: Especially if he had pop-up lightsaber and sensorscope.