Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    According to the photography, this is "one of two" in existence. By the time Rocket-Firing Boba Fetts were being finalized, they were inches from being released to the public. It was at the final stages of design/release.

If this "Holiday Special Fett" is only 1 of 2 examples it wouldn't have a date stamp. This early on, we would be looking at a hardcopy, painted hardcopy, or first shot. None of these early-phase development pieces would have date stamping.

Although . . . I'm glad you're using the archive for reference!

R. Jason Coulston

I'm not saying it's not a custom, I'm just pointing out that there are no set rules like the date-stamp thing or Hasbro not admitting it exists to prove this wasn't the real thing. Thrawn did preface the article with "...if it is real" as well.

Oh, and I didn't look that reference up, someone sent it to me in response to this.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Boy I'm glad I'm not the only one to think this figure is a bootleg. Just look at it, take at good look, and you can see its a bootleg. Like Jaff said the detail is too different and like Jason Coulston said there's a date on the one leg. Had this been post a few weeks later it would make a great April fool's.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

As I mentioned earlier, a good friend emailed Thrawn asking about it. I have this actually, which is exactly what was posted in RASSCV:

I e-mailed "Grand Admiral Thrawn" saying it was a custom and got a reply back asking for "proof". I wrote a pretty extensive e-mail in response detailing the reasons why it is a custom. We'll see what he says.

JT, I agree with you that Hasbro saying anything about this stuff isn't a guarantee. *Especially* when it comes to vintage. I mean, come on, it wasn't even Hasbro back then. They don't have a clue about what went on then with the exception of the few employees there that came over from Kenner *and* were around 30 years ago (which I can count on one hand).

But I disagree about the date stamp. There are some rules. First, you never fire up an injection mold and make 2 pieces. It just doesn't happen like that. Second, there is a definete progression of things (wax, hardcopy, then firstshot.) So, this thing is not some initial concept figure - if it were it wouldn't have dates.

Now, the only way something like this comes about legimately is if Kenner decided to kit bash an exisiting Fett. But then that puts the time frame of this piece around 1979, *after* they had the regular Fett mold running. Which begs the question of why they would want to go back and make Holiday Special figures (from a TV show over a year old). Answer? They wouldn't.

Cj

Again, I'm not speaking for Thrawn here, but all of the SSG reporters who put up news/pics of new stuff that's previously unheard of get more than a few "that's bogus" type emails - I remember a few emails from that unreleased CD Luke Bespin a while back that was later cobbled into Saga Luke, I also recall a few "those are custom figs" emails about the authentic SW Kubricks. It's hard to authenticate stuff like this from after-the-fact emails when there are so many people saying things like that on both sides of the issue.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Date Stamps, Sansweet, Gus Lopez, Vince Viard, do we really need all these heave hitters to prove this is a custom/fake? There are three things in the photo that tells me it's a fake.

1. Real Wookie Braides
    2. Real Cloth Cape
    3. Highly detailed head with seperate Antana

If this is a Holiday Special Fett that means it would have been desighned the same time as the wookie family and several other late issue figs from78-79. Do any of them have this sort of detail? No, even the casual collector can tell that. This fig ever out does POTF figs. This is a custom/fake and the maker of it is laughing in his own spolies right now.
    If you want to find it you have to shop.

So, can we get that thing removed from the site? Even with the "if it's real" disclaimer, it's terrible for a well-known web page like this to spread disinformation like that. Thrawn, can you please remove the figure, or put it in a proper place for customs?

Cj

Agreed.

Misinformation like this is bad for the vintage collecting community. Down the line, knowledgeable folks like CJ are going to have to explain this piece to newer collectors that saw the article and are convinced it's real. It also gives scammers yet another window of opportunity to capitalize on eBay.

R. Jason Coulston

Good points Jason Coulston, I'm in agreement.
    Hasbro, Wuher needs help, bring us Ackmena http://www.petitiononline.com/Ackmena/petition.html

Kenobi must be the Smith or Johnson of Tatooine